Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Here ya go, this is the AA report below for 14.49pm

*ULSTER* *MONAGHAN* Foggy conditions around Monaghan Town and secondary roads are still very icy. Use fog lights in affected areas. *DONEGAL* Conditions are hazardous around Glenties. Avoid Barnesmore Gap and avoid Meenroy on the Letterkenny/Fintown Rd (R250). • Very icy on the N14 Lifford/Letterkenny Rd, particularly at Lurgybrack. * Very icy around Ballybofey on the N13 Letterkenny Rd, the N15 Donegal Rd and the Lifford Rd.

Thanks for this. I was planning to drive from Derry to Sligo tomorrow but now?

Moan: What is the point in their saying saying "Avoid Barnesmore Gap" when there is no reasonable alternative route between South and North Donegal (if there is please tell me).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Essexboy wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I was planning to drive from Derry to Sligo tomorrow but now?

You could go Derry - Omagh - Strabane - Enniskillen - Sligo = 102 Miles. It's only about 17 miles further in distance than Sligo - Derry and it would get you around the Barnsmore problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have to go to Carndonagh at the end of the week, could be a fun drive...

Athlone in the morning, at least I have a 4x4 for that one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

N15 Sligo to Bundoran rd was pretty bad this evening! was ok till the newly resurfaced road coming outta Cliffoney, cars sliding all over the place! from Bunduff to the Bundoran roundabout was lethal!! no signs of it having been gritted at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I dont think that there has been any salting/gritting in since Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jazyguy

Point taken guys. The first thing I did too was to check the AA site. I need to head up there for work. I dont care if it takes me 3 or 4 hours I just need to know if the gap is passable. I heard from someone else today that Omagh to Letterkenny took 2 hours today but wasnt so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My daughter was supposed to go to Cork for Christmas on Friday. I think I can officially cancel it now. (Yaay!)

Lots of the schools seem to be closing till January now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think the schools should be closed. My daughter's one was open today. No way I was going to drive on our icy lanes to get her there. I'd rather they made the missed time up in the Easter/Summer holiday.

More snow in an hour, so say www.irishweatheronline.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Betsy18 wrote: »
    N15 Sligo to Bundoran rd was pretty bad this evening! was ok till the newly resurfaced road coming outta Cliffoney, cars sliding all over the place! from Bunduff to the Bundoran roundabout was lethal!! no signs of it having been gritted at all!

the newly resurfaced road coming outta Cliffoney

This road was resurfaced last year - should have spent the money on grit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Any experiences with the Dublin-Sligo bus? I'm hopefully flying in tomorrow and that bus takes bloody hours in normal weather, so wondering what the delays are, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

It's been snowing for the past hour now in dromore west and the road is now pure white (again :rolleyes:)!

N15 is a disaster again this morning, it hasnt been gritted. 40kph the whole way! seems to have snowed a bit around Sligo town during the night! hope to god i get home ok this evening! roll on the xmas holidays so i dont have to face this drive each day!!

Did the drive from Ballymote to athlone this mornin.

Road between Boyle and Roscommo is pretty scary in spots.

Fresh snow in south Sligo this mornin

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Slidey wrote: »
    Did the drive from Ballymote to athlone this mornin.

Road between Boyle and Roscommo is pretty scary in spots.

Fresh snow in south Sligo this mornin

thanks for that - did you head to castlebaldwin? - just wonderin how bad those roads are for a journey later today??

You can clearly see where sligo roads finish and Ros starts. Sligo roads are not salted as far as I can see :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Slidey wrote: »
    You can clearly see where sligo roads finish and Ros starts. Sligo roads are not salted as far as I can see :mad:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I can't get over the state of the roads, especially the Achonry - Sligo road. I don't know what they're putting on the roads but it's sh1t. Of course it doesn't help with twits doing 12KPH. Stuck in a convoy from the roundabout at Collooney to Ballinacarrow tonight, averaging 12 - 15KPH. It was so slow, my car was nearly going backwards the whole way. You could see some drivers clearly getting frustrated and that's when stupid things happen. It's relatively warm at the minute at -7c, that's tropical compared to Sunday nights -17c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Sligo roads definitely not salted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

How about the Sligo Dublin road? I'm sure it's passable, but how dodgy is it? Are some parts worse than others? Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Big problem today and tonight is dense freezing fog. Was down between Ballinafad and Carrick, I'm sure it extends further too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

any one know anything bout the roads in Leitrim and whether theyr'e gritted, havn't taken the car out since Friday - can't believe school's actually opening tomorrow for last 2 days before term ends. Dreading those country roads:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 corrr

bmarley wrote: »
    any one know anything bout the roads in Leitrim and whether theyr'e gritted, havn't taken the car out since Friday - can't believe school's actually opening tomorrow for last 2 days before term ends. Dreading those country roads:eek::eek:

Where in Leitrim? My mum drove home from Manorhamilton today (she's a nurse and has been work-bound since last week!!) and the Manor/Drumkeerin road is definitely not gritted! Do the kids have exams? Because if not, I wouldn't risk it...for everyone's safety. Best of luck whatever you decide and Merry Christmas.

N15 between Tullaghan and Cliffoney not gritted again this morning. this is a main road and is under the councils priority 1 list, so why the hell has it not been gritted since last Friday!!!!! this is a bloody joke!

My daughters school is open as well, even though the school buses aren't running. I'm staying put, as the ad says don't drive unless your journey is necessary. Half the kids aren't in so they are just having free classes, what a waste of time.

My daughters school is open just until 12 today and tomorrow. Complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

From the rte site:
    0818 Sligo's national primary and secondary Roads and Sligo town centre streets have been treated. Temperatures as low as -10 degrees have left some roads in very dangerous condition, and pockets of freezing fog are causing an additional hazard on parts of the N4 in particular.

From the aa site:
    *CONNAUGHT* *GALWAY* Hazardous with severe ice on many routes. Delays on the N17 Tuam Rd at Claregalway. Ice and compacted snow around Clifden. *MAYO* Icy conditions on the Castlebar/Belmullet Rd (R312). *SLIGO* Ice and snow in many parts of Co. Sligo with freezing fog along the N4. *ROSCOMMON* A jack-knifed truck has been cleared on the N4 Dublin/Sligo Rd at the Rooskey. Take care along this route due to icy conditions. * The N60 Roscommon/Castlerea Rd and the N63 Roscommon/Longford Rd remain icy. Icy conditions on the Castlerea/Frenchpark Rd (R361). *LEITRIM* Icy on the N4 at Carrick On Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Betsy18 wrote: »
    N15 between Tullaghan and Cliffoney not gritted again this morning. this is a main road and is under the councils priority 1 list, so why the hell has it not been gritted since last Friday!!!!! this is a bloody joke!

Was up in Kinlough on Sunday. The road was pretty good the whole way, but it was funny to see the leitrim section of the road wasn't touched by Leitrim CoCo, and Sligo and Donegal were taken care of. You could see on the roads where the grittin trucks were turning and heading back. Well done local authorities.

• Advertisement

Was up in Kinlough on Sunday. The road was pretty good the whole way, but it was funny to see the leitrim section of the road wasn't touched by Leitrim CoCo, and Sligo and Donegal were taken care of. You could see on the roads where the grittin trucks were turning and heading back. Well done local authorities.

Exactly!! the road from sligo town as far as bunduff is manageable but once you get to the Leitrim border it hasnt been gritted and you are sliding from there to the roundabout at the donegal border! a friend of mine rang Leitrimcoco to find out why this section of the road hasnt been gritted since last Friday, supposedly they are only gritting it from 8AM and again at 8PM each day!! the busiest time on that road is from 7am - 9am and 4 -6PM!!! they said that the N16 is done first daily as it is more of a priority!!

Advertisement