Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Report!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

Hi all,

I am travelling from Athlone to Bunninadden area tomorrow and was wondering if ye have any advice, normal route - roscommon town, tulsk, boyle, gurteen and across but am wondering would i be better to go straight down sligo road from boyle and up the N4 as far as temple house and over that way?

Many thanks, safe home to ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I would imagine that you would be better off coming into Boyle and traveling as far as Castlebaldwin into Ballymote.

I did that journey yesterday, was slippy enough in spots, just be sensible and if you see traffic build up behind you, pull in and let it pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Betsy18 wrote: »
    Exactly!! the road from sligo town as far as bunduff is manageable but once you get to the Leitrim border it hasnt been gritted and you are sliding from there to the roundabout at the donegal border! a friend of mine rang Leitrimcoco to find out why this section of the road hasnt been gritted since last Friday, supposedly they are only gritting it from 8AM and again at 8PM each day!! the busiest time on that road is from 7am - 9am and 4 -6PM!!! they said that the N16 is done first daily as it is more of a priority!![/QUOTE

I drove on the N15 from the priest's house to Cliffoney and the car slipped several times. Black ice, I would guess.
    This is the stretch of road which has been resurfaced annually for no obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Anyone know what the manorhamiliton to dromahair road is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am travelling from Athlone to Bunninadden area tomorrow and was wondering if ye have any advice, normal route - roscommon town, tulsk, boyle, gurteen and across but am wondering would i be better to go straight down sligo road from boyle and up the N4 as far as temple house and over that way?

Many thanks, safe home to ye all.

I've been avoiding that Tulsk - Gurteen road like the plague. Since I don't have much faith in how well the surface has been treated. You would be better of coming in the Sligo road from Boyle alright. The Castlebaldwin - Ballymote stretch will need the most caution. Minimal gritting, but I believe high hazard areas have received extra gritting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

thanks a million lads for coming back to me, do you think that castlebaldwin - ballymote road is gritted? had been thinking of going to collooney and straight up the collooney - tubbercurry road and turning off at temple house, has anyone been on that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Mac0783 wrote: »
    thanks a million lads for coming back to me, do you think that castlebaldwin - ballymote road is gritted? had been thinking of going to collooney and straight up the collooney - tubbercurry road and turning off at temple house, has anyone been on that road?

My Father in law said that section was only gritted only in parts. A spot called the 'windy brae' was gritted, it's a nasty twisting hill - you might know it. I was initially going to suggested coming into the Collooney - N17 - Achonry turn off - Bunninadden.The Achonry stretch is potentially treacherous if your're not paying attention. But us locals have gritted all the dodge spots - like hills ect. If you meet oncoming traffic and your not sure if you'll pass safely - hold back because the snow on the side of the road is fairly deep and you could get stuck. I'm not sure abut Templehouse, it's relatively free from dodge hills going that route alright. The only downside is, the ditches are quite deep along that section so don't go off whatever you do. Anyway the best off luck to ya and safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Templehouse was shocking in the last lot of bad weather so I can only imagine what it's like this time.

Personally I would go the c/win road to Ballymote, it wasn't too bad when I traveled it on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Anyone know anything about the road between Dublin and Cavan? Hoping not to have to spend Christmas in Dublin!

• Advertisement

You might be better off asking here, mostly us damned folk from Connacht in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Slidey wrote: »
    You might be better off asking here, mostly us damned folk from Connacht in here!

:o I should have checked the section this thread was in after I got it through the search :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Anybody know what the road to Ballina is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

rhonin wrote: »
    Anybody know what the road to Ballina is like?

Not sure about today but my sister travelled it yesterday and she said it was fine so I would imagine it would be similar today since not much has changed overnight.

On another note, traffic in town is mental, unless you have bags of patience I would avoid! Especially the Cranmore Dunnes Stores area.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Drove from Enniscrone to Sligo and back again earlier today, the road was refreezing so I reckon it's still fairly dangerous tonight.

Advertisement