Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket in attic

Options
  • 28-11-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

I want to put a twin socket in my attic, the nearest supply source is the immersion switch in the hot press. Is this a practical solution and would I have to put a fuse on the line? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it's not allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

M cebee wrote: »
    it's not allowed

Back to the drawing board so. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Do you use the immersion?
    If not then disconnect the immersion and feed the attic socket from there. It will probably be the only socket with its own 20 amp breaker

Do you use the immersion?
    If not then disconnect the immersion and feed the attic socket from there. It will probably be the only socket with its own 20 amp breaker

We use it often enough for her indoors to have an apoplexy if I disconnect it. Not a pretty sight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I'm assuming this is in a 2 storey house with no actual socket circuits running through the attic?

• Advertisement

Tom Slick wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is in a 2 storey house with no actual socket circuits running through the attic?

That's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Not an electrician but just wondered is there a socket on one off the walls directly behind the hot press in the rooms....

Can wire be ran quite easy from a wall socket into the hot press and up into the attic.

Is there carpet upstairs.. can it be lifted and a wire again tapped into the socket into the hot press and up stairs....

Finally... Can you possibly follow the attic water main down through the house and tap into a socket downstairs...

Not an electrician but just wondered is there a socket on one off the walls directly behind the hot press in the rooms....

Can wire be ran quite easy from a wall socket into the hot press and up into the attic.

Is there carpet upstairs.. can it be lifted and a wire again tapped into the socket into the hot press and up stairs....

Finally... Can you possibly follow the attic water main down through the house and tap into a socket downstairs...

The hot press is on the gable wall, adjacent room is the bathroom. There are sockets in the bedrooms underneath the attic and I suppose if all else fails I might be able to locate a partition wall (not as straightforward as it sounds) and possibly drop a cable down there, but the attic is floored and I was really looking for an easier way out .:( Following the rising main is not really an option for the same reason

Advertisement