Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options
  • 28-11-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hey does anybody know if the schools are open tomorrow? or where i could find out? really dont want to bring little fella out in that only to find that its closed

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have you a local radio station?
    They would have the news at 8am, that's generally how I've seen it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hey does anybody know if the schools are open tomorrow? or where i could find out? really dont want to bring little fella out in that only to find that its closed

Cheers
    The exercise will do him no harm even if the schools are closed(which i doubt will be the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

Thanks feeling stressed. will have a listen to kclr see if they say anything

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Askea normally send out a text saying,,, dont know about the others

cheers dan askea is what i need so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Principals in town usually make a joint decision. Ths is left as late as possible, in case of a thaw. We text parents as soon as the decision is made, will post here if I hear anything.

just got a text Askea is open tomorrow kids may wear P.E uniform if they wish

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Leighlinbridge is closed.

Gaelscoil will be open.

never got a text at all so cheers dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

apparently it was on the radio that all town schools are open tomorrow....im assuming thats pending that we dont get heavy snow overnight :o

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

thanks for thread on schools. Was just wondering did i need to set an alarm or not. Weird got no text from askea about it.

Going to be some fun walking on paths out of the estate.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    thanks for thread on schools. Was just wondering did i need to set an alarm or not. Weird got no text from askea about it.

Going to be some fun walking on paths out of the estate.

how did u get on walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ah the memories of gathering around the radio, listening to CKR to see if the local school was closed. When you got confirmation, out the door and to the biggest hill you could find where all the kids naturally gathered, no mobile phones in those days to organise it, it just happened!

Home 8 hours later, frozen solid!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

All Carlow town schools closed today.

cheers belle

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

belle_09 wrote: »
    All Carlow town schools closed today.

I take it you are only including Primary schools? Gaelcholáiste was open....I Didn't go in, but it was open

Here's the latest list of school closures on Wednesday December 1st. This list was updated at 2.43pm.

Benekerry NS Co.Carlow closed on Wednesday

Borris Community Playschool closed until further notice

Gaelscoil Osrai, Loghboy closed until further notice

http://weather.schooldays.ie/

• Advertisement

Gaelscoil Osraí (Kilkenny) have this on their FB page:
    Scoil ar oscailt amárach. School is open again tomorrow. Frankie did great work tomorrow and hopefully all will be fine in the morning. We'll know before 8 and will text and inform KCLR if there's any change

Girls in Tullow closed. No word on town schools closing, only starting to snow there now I think

yeah flying down in carlow now defo say there will be updates on schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Gaelscoil, Carlow just texted that they're closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Pretty disappointed on a whole , road from Kilkenny to Carlow not gritted or salted nor nothing between fenagh/bagenalstown/leighlin.
    It's not like the snow caught them unawares its been predicted since last week , there is no way 4" of snow should keep people out of school/work for 2+days.

son-i-am-disappoint.gif

Policy is to keep N and M roads open. Close to a foot of snow here in Tullow ,v. little can be done with that volume in the absence of snow-ploughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We need snow plows. Its simply not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Theres a snow plow in Bagenalstown, i saw it yesterday. I think it could be privately owned though

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Policy is to keep N and M roads open.

That's why I was surprised that the N9 was un-treated as of 10.15 am
    Theres a snow plow in Bagenalstown, i saw it yesterday. I think it could be privately owned though

I think I saw it this morning parked in the year , I'm nearly sure it's a Carlow Co.Co truck adapted to hold a snow plow.

Still considering its not a huge amount of snow and we had plenty of warning , I'm surprised at the lack of preparation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

I live up in the orchards and the road from my house to lidl aroundabout was very clear (left home at 1ish) but once pass it the roads was all covered in snow!! all the way down down!? I really dont understand how come the roads to town were so snowy!??? more snow past lidl towards town?

so scared to have to stop at inclines at the roundabouts...:(

Advertisement