Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gelscoil is closed tomorrow (Thurs), so I presume all the town primary schools are closed too.Can't see any school in Tullow opening, will post if I hear anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tullow boys and girls closed tomorrow and Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

how did u get on walking?

Didn't walk - drove out. In first gear @ five miles an hour :rolleyes::rolleyes: Strangely it was probably safer to drive than walk.

Askea Girls and Boys are closed tomorrow. St Patricks/Carlow College are closed until Monday for safety reason. No idea what the IT are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

ITcarlow closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

FCJ Bunclody closed until further notice. There is 14 inches of lying snow in Ballon and it still snows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Vocational School in Bunclody is closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

RTE news reporting that Tullow is extremely dangerous with many roads impassable, also "carlow is effectively shut down!"

Can vouch for Tullow, a friend had to borrow a quad to come in two miles.

From AA roadwatch
    *CARLOW* Avoid unnecessary journeys around Tullow, roads are nearly impassable trucks are getting stuck on the Tullow/Castledermot Rd (R418). The N81 is closed in a number of locations between Tullow & Baltinglass (Wicklow).

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    We need snow plows. Its simply not good enough.

Have you not seen the Simpsons?,.. we need private operators, like Mr Plow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Scoil Mhuire Gan Smal closed in Carlow tomorrow. So too are Askea boys & girls.

Just back from a walk with the dog around town, and none of the town's roads are clear. When they freeze tonight they are gonna be extremely dangerous...paths are already slippy in parts.

A lot of the shops on tullow street closed early today, and the SW office is closed until friday 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

Nead21 wrote: »
    Just back from a walk with the dog around town, and none of the town's roads are clear. When they freeze tonight they are gonna be extremely dangerous...paths are already slippy in parts.

A lot of the shops on tullow street closed early today, and the SW office is closed until friday 3rd.

social welfare office closed anyway for refurb till friday.

roads are gonna be a death trap when they freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

:mad::mad::mad:

IFA President John Bryan said the refusal of some local authorities to supply grit to farmers who are willing to assist in the clearing of minor roads around the country shows a serious lack of common sense.

He said, “we have farmers in west Cork and across the country who are willing to use their machinery if grit is supplied by the county council. Dairy farmers have tanks full of milk, feed needs to be delivered and neighbours want to get out and about. However, the authorities have refused to drop supplies at co-ops in west Cork, after farmers had volunteered to grit the roads.”

John Bryan said there is no credible reason for this refusal and he urged the local authorities to re-think their policy and avail of the help that farmers are willing to provide.

The Chairman of West Cork IFA David O’Brien said it beggared belief that today’s proposal was rejected. “During the cold spell last January, we put forward a suggestion that would have helped to make the roads passable and allowed some normality to prevail, but it was turned down. Farmers are keen to spread the grit if supplies are delivered to identified points. Everybody knows the county council resources are stretched, so it makes this refusal all the more difficult to understand.”

He said, “farmers are getting worried about the capacity of their milk tanks and getting fodder to livestock. Householders living in these areas are nervous about travelling because of the condition of the roads. Local authorities need to respond to our suggestion and get the grit supplies out.”

What is the matter with the county council what a shower of wasters

according to reports they only have 2 weeks worth of grit left so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Epic Day really and still increasing, some photos:

5224743122_8a30a14fd5.jpg

5224743666_76067e485f.jpg

5224147033_01efaef0fd.jpg

5224743022_90279ebbb6.jpg

social welfare office closed anyway for refurb till friday.

nope they were supposed to reopen today, they were closed yesterday for the move back.

oh right all the signs said they werent back till friday since they closed

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

Pres Carlow Closed until Monday

oh right all the signs said they werent back till friday since they closed

it was in the Nationalist that they were reopening today, but they had new signs tonight saying that "due to circumstances beyond our control, we will not be opening until friday 3rd"....i assumed it was because of bad weather and maybe some staff cant travel? maybe they couldnt move back because of the weather?

• Advertisement

yeah say something to do with that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

just got home there a few mins ago. my shop is smack bang in town and i could see outside the roads.. Have not seen any gritters or snow ploughs all night. i'm pretty convinced the road from lidl to down is not treated.
    Its a disgrace that nothing's been done in town.

oh and those bas**rds throwing snowball at cars. Its so dangerous!! bad enough having to drive when its snowing,then a bloody snowball hits your windscreen and you couldnt see anything!

yeah i saw some b*****ds throwing them at cars on road beside eire og mentally dangerous there with big concrete ballards

just wondering how about people post up here if a shop is closed early or not during the snow?
    I don't know should i start a post or not.
    Just so that people will know if the shop they want to go to has close early or close for the day before they make their journey there?Like people who work at various places would know that if they were asked to take the day off.
    like today the bank was closed a little bit before 3. Italien Connection, Lemongrass and Centra was closed around 9ish.

just an idea.

just wondering how about people post up here if a shop is closed early or not during the snow?
    I don't know should i start a post or not.
    Just so that people will know if the shop they want to go to has close early or close for the day before they make their journey there?Like people who work at various places would know that if they were asked to take the day off.
    like today the bank was closed a little bit before 3. Italien Connection, Lemongrass and Centra was closed around 9ish.

just an idea.

I see no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I saw a tractor scraping the slush of the roads today at 3ish around KFC going up the new bypass. And the roads are lethal around Carlow - there has been so much snow the grit is underneath :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I woke up at 5am this morning - so brought the dogs out for a walk around the estate - the snow is deeper than my walking boots - so must be about 8 inches. The puppy was disappearing in the snow drifts :D:D She went underneath the cars every chance she got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Latest from AA Ireland
    AA Traffic Update
    Boggan Hill, Carlow town is impassable and all roads in town are hazardous
    Drive with care.

anyone that travels to dublin for work...are ye making it up?? if so what are the roads like?

thinking of making the journey to dun laoghaire tomorrow morning, but really not looking forward to it considering there's about 8 inches of snow outside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

• Advertisement

hwo long has the snow been stopped? Its quite sunny out but def see no thawing.

Carlow town impassable...great. Has the council done anything at all to the roads to town???

@Nead21 I'm going up to dublin tomorrow for belle and sebastian concert..its not gona be fun walking out of the estate

oh just wondering. If dublin is snowing heavliy now,is it gona snow down here too?

Advertisement