Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

askea boys is closed until further notice. I presume the girls will be the same

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gaelscoil also closed until further notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Scoil Mhuire Gan Smál also closed till further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

hwo long has the snow been stopped? Its quite sunny out but def see no thawing.

Carlow town impassable...great. Has the council done anything at all to the roads to town???

@Nead21 I'm going up to dublin tomorrow for belle and sebastian concert..its not gona be fun walking out of the estate

oh just wondering. If dublin is snowing heavliy now,is it gona snow down here too?

there was more heavy snow in dublin today, and judging by the webcams of dublin the main roads are not looking great....still in two minds, if i make it up i may not make it home!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

hwo long has the snow been stopped? Its quite sunny out but def see no thawing.

Carlow town impassable...great. Has the council done anything at all to the roads to town???

@Nead21 I'm going up to dublin tomorrow for belle and sebastian concert..its not gona be fun walking out of the estate

oh just wondering. If dublin is snowing heavliy now,is it gona snow down here too?

It hasn't been snowing at all today..... until now. There's a little falling now.

The council were out clearing paths. the roads look better but still not great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

yeah i saw the webcams earlier its crazy snowy in dublin. But now none of the webcams are showing anything.
    If im going up i'll be getting the train.
    Keeping my eyes on the weather thread atm.
    I can see small bits of snow flakes floating around but i duno is the melting snow? or actual snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Anyone commuting to / from Dublin? What has the new motorway been like? Trying to decide whether to head home or not tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

Anyone commuting to / from Dublin? What has the new motorway been like? Trying to decide whether to head home or not tomorrow.

The motorway was ok until you had to turn off it at the N9/N80/R705
    Then a lot of the roads are untreated but drivable if you take it easy.
    Plan your trip around 12pm at least then you should have some sun.

-10 last night :eek:

edit: the carlow weather website says it's -13.1 now :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

it was nearer to -14:eek: when i checked last night

anybody driving please be careful as there is more snow promised for today on top of frozen roads

snowing now in Carlow town

• Advertisement

ShayK1 wrote: »
    snowing now in Carlow town

I think it is time for a manhunt. Whoever is making blood sacrifices to the Snow God - needs to be stopped. I am willing to put up a reward for this. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'll have it be known that I am 3/4s serious !!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

snowing in Tullow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

The Saturday Club in Muine Bheag Vocational School is cancelled tomorrow due to the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What have Carlow County Council been doing during the last week?

As fart as i can see in town they only used an auld tractor with a bucket on the front to clear snow and ice, have they got no salt or grit?

Also the M7/M9 is treacherous all the way from Naas. It is barely open with only one narrow lane in each direction and the councils seem to be spreading grit over the open lane as well as the snowbound lanes which is inappropriate and wasteful, imo salt should be used to melt the snow and also prevent the open lane from icing over.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Council have gone into hibernation I think, I didn't see any roads gritted/treated properly. There is somebody who works in the council where I live and I didn't see his car leave his house since Tuesday.

There were a number of trucks stuck on the Castledermot/Tullow road from Wednesday to Friday n the council basically left them there to fend for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Carlow town has been cleared of snow and ice brilliantly to be honest.

Have to laugh at both of ye. All ye do is come here to complain. Sad.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the councils seem to be spreading grit over the open lane as well as the snowbound lanes which is inappropriate and wasteful, imo salt should be used to melt the snow and also prevent the open lane from icing over.

derp derp.
    Did you intentionally contradict yourself or forget what you were complaining about midway?

A resident in our estate organised a JCB so at least cars can get in and out,with care. The road between the estate and town(Tullow) is like something from the Artic.

well to be honest it's only today that the road are in a decent condition, and the paths are woeful for pedestrians.

i would also like to know why the hell tullow street is has not been cleared...businesses there are constantly complaining that they are not getting enough footfall, however most have done very little to clear the paths outside there own shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nead21 wrote: »
    well to be honest it's only today that the road are in a decent condition, and the paths are woeful for pedestrians.

i would also like to know why the hell tullow street is has not been cleared...businesses there are constantly complaining that they are not getting enough footfall, however most have done very little to clear the paths outside there own shops!

Its typical of this country.

Shop owners should be resopnsible for clearing the footpaths in front of their premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

has this not got something to do with solicitor saying that if you clear the path outside you home/shop and somebody slips they can sue you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sure if you clear outside your shop then no one is going to fall.

they said that if you clear your pathway in a responsible manner then there are no grounds to be sued.

our driveway and path are snow and ice free :D

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What have Carlow County Council been doing during the last week?

As fart as i can see in town they only used an auld tractor with a bucket on the front to clear snow and ice, have they got no salt or grit?

Also the M7/M9 is treacherous all the way from Naas. It is barely open with only one narrow lane in each direction and the councils seem to be spreading grit over the open lane as well as the snowbound lanes which is inappropriate and wasteful, imo salt should be used to melt the snow and also prevent the open lane from icing over.

IMO the roads are in quite good nic now.
    My only issue with the Carlow CoCo is the length of time it took them to take action.
    Is was Friday before they really started clearing the roads but now the snow has been cleared and the packed ice as been hacked up and pushed aside too.

I can also see why the didn't bother doing anything on Wednesday. It would've been a waste of their time trying to clear it all when it was just going to start snowing again. But that's not really good enough either imho. It should've been cleared earlier.

Anyone drive Carlow to Tullow today(via Killerig?)

askea girls and boys schools are closed tomorrow monday because of footpath and road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Anyone drive Carlow to Tullow today(via Killerig?)
    Went as far as Killerig from Tullow and road is a disgrace, no excuse at this stage. It is due to be done today according to Council update on their website though so hopefully they will sort it.

They are doing great work in Tullow with tractor and trailers removing snow from Town and dumping it in the Slaney but they were very re-active imo. Its tough times and I'm sure the council are under pressure but they need to prepare better and be ready for these events.

Gaelscoil closed tomorrow as well, presume this applies to all primary schools in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

ShayK1 wrote: »
    IMO the roads are in quite good nic now. Is was Friday before they really started clearing the roads but now the snow has been cleared and the packed ice as been hacked up and pushed aside too.

Humm.. Overtime on the weekend anyone?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Gaelscoil closed tomorrow as well, presume this applies to all primary schools in town.

Anyone know if Scoil muire is open??

• Advertisement

Tombull, I'd presume not, the town primary principals tend to make a blanket decision.

Advertisement