Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭steve84

anybody know if Carlow Vocational School is open tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iuil19

Gaelscoil closed tomorrow as well, presume this applies to all primary schools in town.

Educate Together is open tomorrow, barring a blizzard overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi guys anybody know what the m9 and the m7 is like? Am thinking of heading to Dublin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Secondary schools in town are to open, council has made them priority for Mon, Gaelscoil, Askea primary schools to re-open Tues. I think Muire gan smal and Bishop Foley were to be off tomorrow anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tullow Community School is open, girls primary school in Tullow is closed and Rathoe is open

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi guys anybody know what the m9 and the m7 is like? Am thinking of heading to Dublin tomorrow.

They're fine.
    M9 is one lane for the most part so unless you get stuck behind some numpty doing 20mph it's grand.
    M7 is almost totally clear. Well safe, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

tombull82 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Scoil muire is open??

Scoil Mhuire are closed tomorrow as planned. Was one of the days off given on calendar at start of year. Seems that schools are fairly slippy and dangerous still.

Hi Guys

Not sure if anybody has heard but water is out on the Fenagh side of Ballon all morning. When the council were contacted they said that the reservoir was empty and that they didn't know when it would be back again.
    If I remember correctly this will effect Myshall, Ballon, Kildavin and surrounding areas as they were all running from the same reservoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Just a heads up, anybody driving or walking on the staplestown road (around by the Credit Union/ Clayton Hall), both the road and the footpath are like ice-rinks. I'm sure there are loads of other areas like that as well, i was just in that general area this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That road at Clayton hall(Car park enxtrance to credit union) is lethal even in the wet.
    I'm not sure what kind of surfacing they used when they were doing out the road but jesus, you'd wanna be careful
    I can imagine how bad it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Drove from Tullow to Grange earlier, not good, black ice and compacted snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

The footpaths All around the town are now worse than ever Like an Ice Rink in places,

1degree out.
    Bring on the thaw..ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

took 3 hours to get to dublin this morning. traffic going at about 40kmph most for most of the m9 which it needed to be in place cause the road was VERY icy.

can anyone enlighten me as to why they have only cleared half the road? the "clear" side of the road looked more like a secondary road this morning with lines of compacted snow and ice, which were so high in place they were hitting the bottom of the car.:mad:

why has it been left in such a state when the m50 was completely clear??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Drove from Tullow to Grange earlier, not good, black ice and compacted snow.

If you need to get to Carlow go through Ballon. The N81 and N80 are fairly clear of snow.
    Watch out for black ice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

SIX PACK wrote: »
    The footpaths All around the town are now worse than ever Like an Ice Rink in places,
    I would just walk on the road as it is clear of ice and snow, Are the council waiting for some elderly people to die on the treacherous footpaths before they get their fingers out?
    Nead21 wrote: »
    took 3 hours to get to dublin this morning. traffic going at about 40kmph most for most of the m9 which it needed to be in place cause the road was VERY icy.

can anyone enlighten me as to why they have only cleared half the road? the "clear" side of the road looked more like a secondary road this morning with lines of compacted snow and ice, which were so high in place they were hitting the bottom of the car.:mad:

why has it been left in such a state when the m50 was completely clear??
    Nothing much has been done on this road in a week and now it could be another week before it is safe to drive at motorway speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gr8Shark

drove from sth kilkenny to dublin today, motorway like an ice rink. some of the speeds being driven were crazy

Just back from a trip to Dublin and took 2.5 hours from Blanchardstown to Ballon. Some of the M9 is lethal! Black ice and compacted snow all over the place and then you have to contend with idiots going at ridiculous speeds on the only lane that was open.. (even some twats driving on the uncleared side in 4x4s just so that they could get past a line of traffic!)

The M9 from Castledermot is perfect and so is the N80 so can only imagine that it is Kildare CC that are the ones responsible for not clearing the M9 fully. I would assume that this is due to the major focus being on one of the primary arteries into Dublin the N7/M7.

and now we have another blanket of snow coming down.
    ffs.
    I hate this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tommycahir wrote: »
    Just back from a trip to Dublin and took 2.5 hours from Blanchardstown to Ballon. Some of the M9 is lethal! Black ice and compacted snow all over the place and then you have to contend with idiots going at ridiculous speeds on the only lane that was open.. (even some twats driving on the uncleared side in 4x4s just so that they could get past a line of traffic!)

The M9 from Castledermot is perfect and so is the N80 so can only imagine that it is Kildare CC that are the ones responsible for not clearing the M9 fully. I would assume that this is due to the major focus being on one of the primary arteries into Dublin the N7/M7.
    For heavier vehicles the uncleared lanes will usually provide more traction and grip than the frozen cleared lane.

I have seen coaches passing cars earlier in the week on the uncleared sections of motorway as it is safer than sitting behind some numpty doing 5mph

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Askea Boys & Girls are going to be closed until Thursday now.

I have forgotten what the outside world looks like. Been indoors practically for the past two weeks.

Scoil Mhuire gan Smál closed tomorrow. Askea boys & girls closed until Thurdsay.

Gaelscoil closed until Thursday, I think all the town primary schools are off until Thursday, arrgggggggrhhhhhhh.

Gaelscoil closed until Thursday, I think all the town primary schools are off until Thursday, arrgggggggrhhhhhhh.

Lots of town schools were taking 8th as a day off so that's why they are closed till then. Scoil Mhuire took 6th as day off so they might be back Wednesday depending on weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

High of -3.5 in Kilkenny. Just .1 above the daytime record from 1987. Although for most of the day it was between -4 and -5.

http://www.carlowweather.com/

went to -9.8 here earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

There's is a fairly decent blanket of snow in Carlow town now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

and there is to be more 2moro so.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For heavier vehicles the uncleared lanes will usually provide more traction and grip than the frozen cleared lane.

I have seen coaches passing cars earlier in the week on the uncleared sections of motorway as it is safer than sitting behind some numpty doing 5mph

Hadn't really thought of that but these weren't coaches but just jeeps/suv/mpvs. What concerned me the most was the speed they were travelling at in that uncleared section of road when the cleared section wove in and out between the lanes thus not giving anybody a straight lane to drive on..

Advertisement