Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

and there is to be more 2moro so.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I would just walk on the road as it is clear of ice and snow, Are the council waiting for some elderly people to die on the treacherous footpaths before they get their fingers out?

Yes they are.

Nothing they like better than beavering around clearing all the main roads and leaving the path just so that some geriatric will die. :rolleyes:

If you're so concerned then why not go and get off your ass and shovel some snow and help ?

At this stage you've a dozen all-irelands for hurling on the ditch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

soden12 wrote: »
    Yes they are.

Nothing they like better than beavering around clearing all the main roads and leaving the path just so that some geriatric will die. :rolleyes:

If you're so concerned then why not go and get off your ass and shovel some snow and help ?

At this stage you've a dozen all-irelands for hurling on the ditch.
    Wow you are a long way from Meath in the Carlow forum, Welcome! If i was slightly paranoid i could think you were following my posts and trying to antagonise me into some kind of reaction:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As of now, Gaelscoil is open a.m.

Cheers for the tip to go to Carlow via Ballon, road much better than via Killerig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Cheers for the tip to go to Carlow via Ballon, road much better than via Killerig.

No bother. Its a National Primary route (N80 & N81) so they're supposed to be cleared and gritted. Doesn't always happen but its usually in better condition that the Regional roads, and its only about 7 miles longer which isn't too bad.
    I didn't realise you weren't a local. I was going to post it earlier but then thought..... Ah I'm sure she already knows ..... my bad.

Has anybody travelled from Tullow to Carlow via Killerig today?
    And if possible could somebody update on the condition of the M9 & M7 today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I dont know about the roads but most of the footpaths around the town and especially the pedestrian crossings are lethal with hard packed ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CarlowRebel

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Has anybody travelled from Tullow to Carlow via Killerig today?
    I travelled that road twice today, wasn't great this morning, lots of black ice and compacted snow. It was ok once you took your time. Coming home was better, still have the compacted snow, but ok again once you take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I travelled that road twice today, wasn't great this morning, lots of black ice and compacted snow. It was ok once you took your time. Coming home was better, still have the compacted snow, but ok again once you take it handy.

Same as.

I travelled it tis-evening in the jeep so had no problems but there is huge pot holes in the hard ice now so it would shake the bejesus out of yeah.

Travelled back the Ballon road as I had the kids with me asleep in the back.
    Have to say, it was perfect (in comparison)

Came back via Killerig at about 5, also had the problem with hunks of frozen snow, esp if there was something coming towards me. Driveable but needs care.

• Advertisement

Came back via Killerig at about 5, also had the problem with hunks of frozen snow, esp if there was something coming towards me. Driveable but needs care.

I just drove from Tullow to Killerig for a look. It prettys clear now.
    Its wet and there is some ice but its grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

RE: M9 the carlow side is fine both lanes in operation but when you hit castledermot you are straight down to one lane and was lethal on wednesday evening. Kildare roads dept are a disgrace!!!

They were out today clearing the hard shoulder to a certain degree. Not coming home tonight so i'll see what it's like tomorrow morning

Made the huge mistake of taking the other road to Tullow today, ie down at Walls forge, via Chapelstown and on to Tullow. I have never been so scared in my life.And to whoever was in the red Corsa tailgating me the whole way, GOBDAW!

racso1975 wrote: »
    RE: M9 the carlow side is fine both lanes in operation but when you hit castledermot you are straight down to one lane and was lethal on wednesday evening. Kildare roads dept are a disgrace!!!

They were out today clearing the hard shoulder to a certain degree. Not coming home tonight so i'll see what it's like tomorrow morning

It's supposed to be cleared now. The plough was on it today.

Made the huge mistake of taking the other road to Tullow today, ie down at Walls forge, via Chapelstown and on to Tullow. I have never been so scared in my life.And to whoever was in the red Corsa tailgating me the whole way, GOBDAW!

That was not a good idea.
    Its supposed to be cleared tonight.

Not a good idea would be an understatement, white knuckles the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

All schools are to open on Saturdays and start at eight in the morning to make up for the lost time due to the weather. Its an EU rule.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

is this ever gonna stop? can somebody please tell me whats the forecast for xmas day and stephens day?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

is this ever gonna stop? can somebody please tell me whats the forecast for xmas day and stephens day?

drink and more rink,,,lol have a good one cuz,,,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

yeah same to you

anyone else pipes frozen:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

DANNY22XX wrote: »
    anyone else pipes frozen:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just the ones in the attic despite being wrapped in wool blankets for the last 12 months they froze some time yesterday. Had to go up stairs and defrost them with a hairdryer.. Somehow the actual feeder tank had almost frozen aswell :eek:

Danny
    Is it the pipes coming into the house or the ones in the attic? Usually if you can get cold water from the tap in the kitchen then it is the ones in the attic that are frozen, otherwise it is the ones outside..

If you have access to the outside pipes to defrost them if they are frozen you should avoid putting boiling water on them as that is liable to burst them and refreeze over them again. Maybe use some form of heater (hairdryer?) to defrost them?

pipes are frozen out side Tom the attic seems ok we have the the washing machine out in the shed that was frozen solid so the pipes im trying everything right now 4 hours still no joy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

pipes are frozen out side Tom the attic seems ok we have the the washing machine out in the shed that was frozen solid so the pipes im trying everything right now 4 hours still no joy:(

Same As.. Mine froze solid 2 weeks ago again, ended up buying a new machine, took out one of the units in the kitchen and plumbed it in there.

The pipes are insulated but it was actually the internal water and waste pipes on the machine which froze last time. Bummer :(

I would prefer to have it in the shed but its froze a few times in the last few years and was unusable for a week or so each time so it will stay in the kitchen now for the winter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

tombull82 wrote: »
    Same As.. Mine froze solid 2 weeks ago again, ended up buying a new machine, took out one of the units in the kitchen and plumbed it in there.

The pipes are insulated but it was actually the internal water and waste pipes on the machine which froze last time. Bummer :(

I would prefer to have it in the shed but its froze a few times in the last few years and was unusable for a week or so each time so it will stay in the kitchen now for the winter anyway.

Had a similar issue a few years back with the washing machine freezing outside in the shed and solved it by plumbing it into the hotwater system rather than the cold feed. (not recommended by the manufacturers but never seen any issues from it )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i've no water now either...pipe coming into house froze last night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Last night had to of been 1 of the coldest we have had to date the lock on the hall door even froze, Were going to have a hefty heating bill in January :(
    Its perfect weather for an Irish stew just preparing 1 at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

holy crap that is cold!!

did anyone manage to get their water back that didnt have it this morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

oh baby. that snow is excellent.
    loving my tires :D

Nead21 wrote: »
    holy crap that is cold!!

did anyone manage to get their water back that didnt have it this morning??

no Nead had a plumber in its all out side on the mains i thought it was the back of the house :( hopefully it will come back tomorrow

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    oh baby. that snow is excellent.
    loving my tires :D

Did you get winters or are you still on the Rain specific ones?
    no Nead had a plumber in its all out side on the mains i thought it was the back of the house :( hopefully it will come back tomorrow

I don't see how its gonna come back if the temps stay this low.
    I wanna flush my toilet and have to worry about refilling it myself :(

Advertisement