Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze Nov/Dec 2010. Includes Road Reports & What Schools Are Open/Closed.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Taffy Kat

This is an absolute joke. How the hell is anybody supposed to live without running water. You might be able to clean your teeth or have a drink, but when it comes to other stuff like

(a)washing clothes is impossible
    (b)taking a shower/bath is impossible
    (c)taking a p*ss or a sh*t is possible, but then you have to leave it festering in the toilet as you can't flush the thing
    (d)changing a babies nappy is possible but washing your hands properly is almost impossible
    (e)cooking any proper food is impossible, the only things usable are the oven and the microwave

Then all the council says is wait for the thaw, but that could come in f*cking March or April the way the winter is going. I can't believe people aren't protesting about this. We live in a supposedly first world country guys and first world means basic services like running f*cking water. And lets be honest about it it isn't that cold, not if you compare it with the temperatures Germany, Poland, northern France, northern Italy and Scandinavia consistently get throughout every winter. Topping it all is the fact people seem to be suggesting the freeze will have destroyed the pipes. or their could be an airlock, which is the government's fault for not regulating how houses are built and allowing cowboys to put pipes too near the ground, and yet we will have to pay for any damage to be fixed. We should be going fr*gging crazy about this.

My water has only been off maybe 48 hours and I'm already going mad. I apologise for my language, and I also apologise for saying all this as as you can tell from my name I'm a foreigner, but I'm close to exploding.

Furthermore, does anyone know if its dangerous to leave the house with the water off?

I'm getting conflicting advice, some say it is, others not, but I really feel like going to a relative's house until this rectifies itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I would expect no major thaw until Sunday night into Monday.

Now Carlow people who are in high risk flood areas, need to be aware that in my opinion we have a high risk of flooding on Sunday and Monday and maybe into Tuesday.

The band of seriously heavy rain heading in from the Atlantic is going to fall as Snow before turning to rain.

I'm under pressure at the moment but I will post up more details later, but be prepared for a very bad day Sunday with heavy snow before heavy rain meaning slush and then risk of flooding.

Oh and Hacketstown and Tullow could see some moderate snow for the next few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

i feel your pain Taffy, and your frustration. i'm also without water since tues night. same thing happened us last year with pipes freezes from the mains coming into the house.

the unfortunate thing is that this freezing weather that we have now and last year is out of the norm and therefore, ireland is unprepared...it doesnt help that we have a reactive government. last year there was people living for months without water...even after a thaw.

what i will be doing is asking these questions when party representatives start calling in the new year looking for votes. or if it presists start hounding county councillors .....the problem is, is that unfortunately the irish people are also reactive

Nead21 wrote: »
    i feel your pain Taffy, and your frustration. i'm also without water since tues night. same thing happened us last year with pipes freezes from the mains coming into the house.

the unfortunate thing is that this freezing weather that we have now and last year is out of the norm and therefore, ireland is unprepared...it doesnt help that we have a reactive government. last year there was people living for months without water...even after a thaw.

what i will be doing is asking these questions when party representatives start calling in the new year looking for votes. or if it presists start hounding county councillors .....the problem is, is that unfortunately the irish people are also reactive

Changes nothing though. The people in opposition are just as bad. They know they are elected for four or five years and they are safe for that time.

Villain wrote: »
    I would expect no major thaw until Sunday night into Monday.

Now Carlow people who are in high risk flood areas, need to be aware that in my opinion we have a high risk of flooding on Sunday and Monday and maybe into Tuesday.

The band of seriously heavy rain heading in from the Atlantic is going to fall as Snow before turning to rain.

I'm under pressure at the moment but I will post up more details later, but be prepared for a very bad day Sunday with heavy snow before heavy rain meaning slush and then risk of flooding.

Oh and Hacketstown and Tullow could see some moderate snow for the next few hours

Fortunately I am away from the rivers etc so hopefully I'm ok.

• Advertisement

If anyone could tell me if its dangerous to leave the house for a few days when the water is gone I'd be grateful? My father-in-law said it could be, a neighbour said if the stopcock inside is off then you're fine, my father confirmed the latter. But I'm just a little bit edgy about leaving the house in case there's a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

If it was me i would just turn the water off at the mains and go it wont flood of its off then hope for the best when the thaw comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

No water here on Centaur st either since wednesday im well browned off when im thirsty all i hav to quench the thirst is beer coz i made sure to stock up on that 48 cans :rolleyes: should do me until new year :pac:

So looking forward to this thaw its well overdue

Just got my water back working :) . . . I boiled 2 full kettles of water & poured them slowly onto the Water Link coming into our house,
    Il point out also the experiment didnt work straight took about 10 mins after id finished, Now i can finally get a shower :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Has anybody else got their water back yet?

• Advertisement

no water here yet

Does everyone have water back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 westbubbles

Still no water here on Browneshill road :(

Water came back here last night

Still no water ... rang the out of hours phone number and after an hour and a half of trying to get through and being hung up on all they said was wait for a thaw ... it's been thawing for 3 days at this stage! Just because there has been no other reports (noone can probably get through) they aren't checking the mains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MartinaWest

no still no water, and its been gone now for 7 days. even with temps at 12 degrees today still no water. does anyone know how long it takes for outside pipes to thaw?

Just got it back about an hour ago ... County Council guys were around the estate today and the houses across the green seem to be in a dreadful state with burst pipes. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any here. I've never been so happy to see running water!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Just got it back about an hour ago ... County Council guys were around the estate today and the houses across the green seem to be in a dreadful state with burst pipes. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any here. I've never been so happy to see running water!!!:D

Glad to hear water is coming back for people.. As was stated before if you spot a leak your best bet is to turn off water coming into the house the valve for that is usually located under the kitchen sink..

Advertisement