Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How exactly are late % deducted?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Right handed up an essay there 2 weeks late (as I seem to with most essays for no real reason).

Got the result back, its a B+, I am happy with that, but am I about to lose marks from it, or will they have already been deducted?

On a similar note, it's 20% of what I got that gets taken off right? So if I got 80% for example, I go down to 64% not 60%?

Lastly, this essay counts towards my final grade, its 20% of my final grade. B+ in college is worth 66.67%-70%, does that mean I get roughly 14% in it? Or is that calculated some other way? I.E by grade point average (which to be fair would be a lot nicer from my point of view).

Sorry for slight list of questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

10% off for 1 week late
    20% off for 2 weeks late

Grade given should include late penalties.

Not sure about your last query, the whole GPA thing is fairly messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Poster above is right but I would add that some lecturers actually don't deduct marks for being late. They really, really should but they occasionally don't pay attention. This is normally the case with lecturers who don't bother with uploading the assignments to Blackboard and instead get people to just hand them a printed copy. They are rare, but a few dinosaurs like that still exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Cool, I guess the last query is somewhat important still. Like my lc trained brain still can't get around the idea that I could get a B+ but it only be 13/20

The whole course is very modern and electronic, its the only one I do with no hard copy requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Poster above is right but I would add that some lecturers actually don't deduct marks for being late. They really, really should but they occasionally don't pay attention. This is normally the case with lecturers who don't bother with uploading the assignments to Blackboard and instead get people to just hand them a printed copy. They are rare, but a few dinosaurs like that still exist!

I have only ever had one lecturer who used blackboard for uploads and a few others used moodle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

dyl10 wrote: »
    I have only ever had one lecturer who used blackboard for uploads and a few others used moodle.

So you have one of the rare courses then. One of my postgrads was like that as well. But it is changing and they will eventually get them all to use electronic submissions.

I still imagine that most of your lecturers actually would have deducted marks for late submission. I was more talking about the lecturers who rarely penalise or even notice late submissions. The thye who ignores Blackboard, Moodle and submission dates. One of ours said that he had to put in a submission date to keep the school happy, but basically there was none and hand it in whenever you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement