Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the schools be closed tomorrow

Options
  • 28-11-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭

Many Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

come on the ****

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Wouldnt think so, traffic moving well on main roads from what I've seen, and not too much disruption to buses or trains.
    Unless we get a really heavy fall of snow tonight I think they'll be open.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i dont see any reason why they wont be open.

the roads are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Some will be, mine is in Dublin 16 and is having a delayed opening at 11am and a final decision will be made at 9am whether to open at all. So yes, some will be closed but I doubt it will be sanctioned by the Department of Education so you will make up the day at some point after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I passed Warrenmount primary earlier today and saw a lady and gentleman putting up a sign saying they were going to be closed tomorrow and to check their website for further information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gaspode wrote: »
    Wouldnt think so, traffic moving well on main roads from what I've seen, and not too much disruption to buses or trains.
    Unless we get a really heavy fall of snow tonight I think they'll be open.

As usual though, the footpaths are lethal. Just look at the amount of people walking on the roads.
    Nobody in authority learned anything earlier this year. The problem is not the roads, it's the footpaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

spurious wrote: »
    The problem is not the roads, it's the footpaths.

True, hadnt thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Only way to know is to ring them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

spurious wrote: »
    As usual though, the footpaths are lethal. Just look at the amount of people walking on the roads.
    Nobody in authority learned anything earlier this year. The problem is not the roads, it's the footpaths.

Yeah, baby, you got that right.

And snowy footpaths around my way are also the reason people are driving on clear roads at 20kph.

I have a full days work planned for tomorrow, and it is my pleasure to drop my child to school, but notification of closure at 09:00 is no fricking use to me, or my clients.

• Advertisement

Yeah, baby, you got that right.

And snowy footpaths around my way are also the reason people are driving on clear roads at 20kph.

I have a full days work planned for tomorrow, and it is my pleasure to drop my child to school, but notification of closure at 09:00 is no fricking use to me, or my clients.

Our school sent a text today to parents. The problem is that school caretakers may have gone to schools today and found it ok to use but if theres another heavy snow tonight it might be shut. Sometimes these things cannot be helped really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

Our school said that it would be on the website if their closed, nothing yet, but it hasnt been updated in over a year.

The roads and paths are really bad around here.
    The problem is the teachers trying to get to the school aswel as most of them live outside Dublin and in the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Will there bit a list published - of the schools that are closed?

deelite wrote: »

RTE had a list online last time this happened but there is no central source really. The Department of Education haven't said anything on the matter yet so assume your school is open unless otherwise informed.

deelite wrote: »

The Dep of Education has little to do with it.
    The decision is made by the principal in conjunction with the board of management, so it's a school by school matter.

If the cold weather keeps up I can see the schools having to fund raise again this year for money to cover the extra heating costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Absolutely amazed that the schools haven't announced closures yet. Even IF we don't get any more snow tonight - which I doubt looking at the rainfall radar - this will probably beat last night's record as the coldest November night ever. Many schools are located in residential areas and children's route to school will be on absolutely treacherous footpaths. All the competent bodies are advising the postponement of unnecessary journeys.

I can only suspect that no principal wants to be the first to jump and the 'current climate' of public sector bashing is probably a part of it. But frankly, there's a lot worse that's been done to our country recently than school principals deciding to call a snow day because of genuinely exceptional conditions. As I say, amazed they seem to be going ahead at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Anybody hear if the Donahies Comm School is opened tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Holy Faith Clontarf will be closed (according to my sister.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I remember about 2 years ago (I'm out of school now) when our secondary school closed, it was because the paths and car parks on the school grounds were a health hazard, not because people had trouble getting to school, so gritting the roads won't stop school closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

linguist wrote: »
    Absolutely amazed that the schools haven't announced closures yet. Even IF we don't get any more snow tonight - which I doubt looking at the rainfall radar - this will probably beat last night's record as the coldest November night ever. Many schools are located in residential areas and children's route to school will be on absolutely treacherous footpaths. All the competent bodies are advising the postponement of unnecessary journeys.

I can only suspect that no principal wants to be the first to jump and the 'current climate' of public sector bashing is probably a part of it. But frankly, there's a lot worse that's been done to our country recently than school principals deciding to call a snow day because of genuinely exceptional conditions. As I say, amazed they seem to be going ahead at this stage.
    so what if they announce they close or not.
    sure if the parents feel its not safe etc to let their children go in then just dont send them to school.
    do people always have to wait for an offical statement to make sensible decisions!!

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    so what if they announce they close or not.
    sure if the parents feel its not safe etc to let their children go in then just dont send them to school.
    do people always have to wait for an offical statement to make sensible decisions!!

The thing is if the school closes officially it is marked as a school closure,
    if you just keep the kids at home and the school doesn't close then they get marked absent. 20 days absent for the entire school year and the attendance officer has to flag the file and you get visited, if it's more then 20 days then you run the risk of being fined if your child misses too many days from school.

There are some nasty chest infections going atm and both mine caught it and so ended up missing 7 school days, so absentees can easily rack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

some inner cities schools closed today, which is a joke. Dublin bus is running and the kids live within walking distance.

on the other hand maybe the pipes have frozen.

Maybe enough of the teachers can't get in.

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/schools-make-own-decision-on-closing-as-icy-spell-grips-2440025.html
    Schools make own decision on closing as icy spell grips

By Katherine Donnelly

Monday November 29 2010

IT will be up to individual schools to decide whether or not to close as freezing weather continues its grip on many areas.

In some cases, pupils will have difficulty getting to school because of the snow and ice.

Bus Eireann advised last night that there may be disruption to school buses in certain parts of the country.

Individual school boards of management have the discretion to decide whether they should close, and for how long, when hit by extreme weather conditions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Education said last night that it was not issuing any instructions and confirmed it was a matter for individual schools.

In general, if a school is closed due to bad weather, it is expected to compensate for the lost time later in the school year.

Exceptional

However, in exceptional circumstances, the department may exempt a school from this requirement.

After last winter's big freeze, which led to widespread closure of schools, some made up the lost time but in other cases -- where the shutdown was extended -- it proved more difficult to replace all the lost days.

The school transport scheme, which is administered by Bus Eireann, carries 135,000 pupils to and from school every day, mainly in rural areas.

A Bus Eireann spokesperson said parents should contact their local school transport office to check on the status of the relevant service.

After January's freeze, the Catholic Primary School Management Association (CPSMA) the body representing managers in more than 90pc of primary schools, recommended that schools should make allowances for unforeseen circumstances, such as weather, when planning the school calendar.

In the interest of ensuring that schools meet their requirement to open for 183 days, the CPSMA recommended that boards of management reserve a number of days which could be used for such events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

My schools not open until 11.
    But we had a trip planned as part of our leaving cert project and the bus canceled.
    Im in Dublin.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Maybe enough of the teachers can't get in.

[ml[/url]

I was in kildare and meath last january and the going was tough, nigh on impossible. this was not the case in the area last night. you need to drive a little slower, but is just a it of snow. maybe schools will be closed for the rest of the week?

I don't think the schools should be closed, I do think we need to learn how to keep going and functioning in this sort of weather people do in plenty of other countries and with a lot more snow.

They could start by gritting/salting the footpaths.

Or we could adopt the same practice as in other countries were everyone does thier own patch outside thier house/business as well as the coucils doing a bit.

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/yaktrax-shop help also.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Or we could adopt the same practice as in other countries were everyone does thier own patch outside thier house/business as well as the coucils doing a bit.

http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/yaktrax-shop help also.

unfortunately the philosophy here seems to be 'can't someone else do it'

Advertisement