Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happen to UPC?

• 28-11-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

1048573271.png

I am in Cork city area and using upc 15mb bb. Its give me appox 12-14mb speed(in the speed test with this server location). but in these 2 weeks the upc give me a terrible services...always disconnect in the mid-day and mid-night, other than that it also give me a slow speed like the test above, checked all the pc, no up/down steam, also changed the wireless password, the result is the same nothing changed. Thinking to ring them tomorrow and ask them what the helll is happening here

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kk887 wrote: »
    1048573271.png

I am in Cork city area and using upc 15mb bb. Its give me appox 12-14mb speed(in the speed test with this server location). but in these 2 weeks the upc give me a terrible services...always disconnect in the mid-day and mid-night, other than that it also give me a slow speed like the test above, checked all the pc, no up/down steam, also changed the wireless password, the result is the same nothing changed. Thinking to ring them tomorrow and ask them what the helll is happening here

Shammy reported issues with the Limerick server here as well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099653

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

This might also be simply down to your wireless network. When running speedtests, it can be useful to also try it while using an ethernet connection instead of wireless to see if there's a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭kk887

bhickey wrote: »
    This might also be simply down to your wireless network. When running speedtests, it can be useful to also try it while using an ethernet connection instead of wireless to see if there's a difference.
    i didnt use wireless to checked it:(

Spear wrote: »
    Shammy reported issues with the Limerick server here as well:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056099653
    ok
    get 8mb down and 1.2mb for up by using the dublin server

Do you try servers other than the Limerick one too?

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote: »
    Do you try servers other than the Limerick one too?
    just did, and i feel rare about that result...
    why my up speed will remain the same but the down speed is slower then before?

kk887 wrote: »
    just did, and i feel rare about that result...
    why my up speed will remain the same but the down speed is slower then before?

That could well say more about the servers you're testing against than it does about your broadband connection ;)

Also when you test, make sure that there is no other trafic whatsoever on the connection.

but how about the disconnect issue? and the slow speed that i mention...

just format mine pc and install the lastest antivirus 2 days ago but these issue still keep happening:(

and also when this happen i switched off all other pc but the result is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

Try this speedtest instead. Usually gives more realistic results for me anyway.

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

Get some results from pingtest too before you give upc a call

http://www.pingtest.net/
    and don't choose the limerick server! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Try the UPC Speed test tool - http://www.upc.ie/broadband/speedtest/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The Limerick Speedtest server seems to be pretty poor lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Limerick speedtest.net server should be avoided - particularly by UPC customers..

Try speedtest to London or others and you'll see a big increase in up/down bandwidth :)

As for the disconnects - check for other wireless routers around in similar channel to you.. Main channels are 1, 6 and 11. The others overlap - so if your on 7 and you've a ton of close networks around 7 thru'11 you're competing for airspace.
    Also - am guessing your using the EPC2425 - biggest piece of crap ever... Buy a €30/40 router, and bridge that baby to get rid of most issues it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

DemoniK wrote: »
    Limerick speedtest.net server should be avoided - particularly by UPC customers..

Try speedtest to London or others and you'll see a big increase in up/down bandwidth :)

As for the disconnects - check for other wireless routers around in similar channel to you.. Main channels are 1, 6 and 11. The others overlap - so if your on 7 and you've a ton of close networks around 7 thru'11 you're competing for airspace.
    Also - am guessing your using the EPC2425 - biggest piece of crap ever... Buy a €30/40 router, and bridge that baby to get rid of most issues it has.

Recommendations?

Whenever I turn off the EPC2425 it's settings are reset...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Welcome to the crap EPC2425:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Recommendations?

unfortunately, the only real recommendation is to either not turn it off (sorry, couldn't resist:D) or get it replaced by the scientific atlanta modem and buy your own router to use with that.

vibe666 wrote: »
    unfortunately, the only real recommendation is to either not turn it off (sorry, couldn't resist:D) or get it replaced by the scientific atlanta modem and buy your own router to use with that.

Do I get on to UPC tech support to do this or?

Do I get on to UPC tech support to do this or?
    yes, but you'll have a job getting one out of them and getting it swapped over.

you'll also need to buy your own router which could cost anywhere from €30-40 up to €150+ depending on what you want out of it.

unfortunately, it's a choice of either living with a crap router or rolling your sleeves up and getting your wallet out.

vibe666 wrote: »
    yes, but you'll have a job getting one out of them and getting it swapped over.

you'll also need to buy your own router which could cost anywhere from €30-40 up to €150+ depending on what you want out of it.

unfortunately, it's a choice of either living with a crap router or rolling your sleeves up and getting your wallet out.

I am not afraid of a challenge :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I'd definitely put the 2425 into bridge mode and buy a decent router.
    Netgear WNDR2700 is excellent
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/r/wndr-3700

You can go cheaper if you don't want 5GHz Wifi though.
    I'd usually recommend the Dlink DIR-655 also, but that's just €20 cheaper :(
    In fact all the ones I'd recommend are in or around €80-110!!

Once you get that all working - then you can track down a spare SA EPC2203 modem for them to provision. They don't seem to have issues provisioning them, but they can be very hard to get your hands on - all depends on who you get and what day and time you phone by the looks of it. I got mine off adverts - and was up and running within 15mins of it arriving.

unfortunately bridging isn't an option if you have your phone with UPC as it disables the phone ports on the EPC2425 and the other option of configuring a second router on a different subnet and turning off everything on the EPC2425 will leave you with a double NAT'd config that would be a gamers nightmare. :(

if you keep trying you might get a 2203 off UPC, i've had two mates now sign up for UPC in the last month and one insisted on one from the get-go and got it installed and the other guy had so much trouble with the EPC2425 in the first couple of days and complained to UPC and got them to change it for a 2203 within a few days.

i will say though that this guy is a grand master in the art of persuasion and getting what he wants, so your own mileage with UPC may vary.

• Advertisement

pfxh wrote: »
    error!!!
    how about "Edit > Delete Post" instead? ;)

Advertisement