Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My external harddrive fell... it won't work now.

• 28-11-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

It happened last night. My Seagate FreeAgent 500Gb (p/n 9nk2al-510) fell while plugged in and the usb socket got broken in half in the process. It won't work now of course. I was thinking of buying a whole new "case" for it (is that what they're called?) and simply replace the hard drive into the new one. This might be a stupid question but is it possible to buy generic cases without having to buy a new ext harddrive? If so, where to buy?

I have a lot of important material on it so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Assuming that the hard disk is okaythen you just need a 3.5" external USB enclosure. They're widely available. Swap the drive then from one case to the other. Alternatively you could also probably plug the drive into a spare connection inside a desktop PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If the HDD fell hard enough to break the socket then there is a good chance the drive is fubar. Especially if it fell while turned on.

By all means buy an external enclosure to try it, but I would expect the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks for the info lads. I've found a lot of enclosures on ebay. Is there a way of knowing if mine is IDE or SATA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Shamrok wrote: »
    Is there a way of knowing if mine is IDE or SATA?

It's probably STA. Open it up and see ;)

Have a look at the pictures here to see if it's SATA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Have you a PC (or a friend with one) that you can test the drive in to make sure it is still good, before buying a new enclosure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

marco_polo wrote: »
    Have you a PC (or a friend with one) that you can test the drive in to make sure it is still good, before buying a new enclosure?

I only have a laptop myself and tbh, as Ive never done it before, I wouldnt feel safe changing harddrives on a friend's pc. Ive ordered an enclosure now. Ill post how I get on when it arrives. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Advertisement