Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allergy to cats

Options
  • 28-11-2010 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hello there,
    I'm just wondering if there is a 'cure' for this?

I'm desperately allergic to cats.
    I don't have a cat, however my mother has two and when my daughter comes home from visiting, having handled the cats, if I have any contact with my daughters clothes etc., my eyes swell up.

I take piriton to relieve the symptoms. It's horrible though.

I have severe asthma and am allergic to a lot of things.

Is there any way to stop this reaction apart from taking allergy meds?

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here (through squinted eyes), hoping there is some miracle cure out there..... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Allosergo

If medication is ineffective or adverse effects are unacceptable you could consider immunotherapy. There are several forms: injectable and sublingual drops. These can focus just on one allergen, such as cat; or take account of a wider range of sensitivities (given that you have asthma). A clinical allergist would help to identify relevant allergen(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

I read the other day on the DSPCA wepage, that allergies to cats are in fact du to their saliva, and that washing the cats helps. So you could ask your mother to bath her cats regularly and get your daughter straight in the shower and her clothes straight into the machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Allosergo

That's true. the allergen is a salivary protein. it is microscopic, so becomes airborne and floats throughout the house. The levels of allergen will be high in any house that housed a cat, and would remain detectable for up to 9 months after the cat is removed. washing would be of limited benefit (and highly likely to result in several scratches!)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

LOL! 9 months though! I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

Advertisement