Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to go back to school...can I still claim social welfare?

• 28-11-2010 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

I'm 18 and want to go back to school next year to do the Leaving Cert course to basically make something of my life. Will the state assist me? Surely going back to school and getting a citizen with more skills would benefit them? Part time jobs are very difficult to come by in the current climate. I have stuff like car insurance to pay for nowadays.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I would'nt think so, to collect dole you must be actively seeking work.
    It would be pretty hard to argue you're available for work if you're a fulltime student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You might be able to look into back to education allowance assuming you don't live with your parents. Otherwise the car might have to take a year out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Don't mean to sound to unhelpful...

But majority of people are your age doing the LC, and they don't get state help... because you took year or two out... why would you get help but not them?

Lose the car, or if you live in an area where you think you need it, save up or work hard to get a job...

Cycling an option?

If you want to better your life, you gotta do it yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

You can't claim the Dole as long as you are in full time education anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm 18 and want to go back to school next year to do the Leaving Cert course to basically make something of my life. Will the state assist me? Surely going back to school and getting a citizen with more skills would benefit them? Part time jobs are very difficult to come by in the current climate. I have stuff like car insurance to pay for nowadays.

The dole is for people who are out of work and actively seeking and available for work. If you are doing the LC you will not be available for work and not entitled to dole.

Also the car is a luxury. The state are not there to make dole payments to you so you can have a set of wheels while you're at school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭James2693

You are a complete tosser op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

James2693 wrote: »
    You are a complete tosser op
    Infracted / banned for a week. If the only way you can respond / make a point is by name-calling / rudeness, don't bother.

I think the OP has been answered, and as I can't see much good coming of this thread from here on in, I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement