Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a Hawk?

• 28-11-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

This bird has been perched on the wall by house every day for the last couple of weeks.

Is this a hawk?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

What's the size of it, roughly?

It looks oddly like a mix of a sparrow hawk/kestrel and a peregrine falcon. Neither of which are native to Ireland as far as I know (could be wrong, but I know them from North America). Also i'd be incredibly unlikely to see a peregrine falcon in the wild at all, even if it is native.

I'd say it's some kind of hawk/falcon anyway. Can't see its beak or claws well though.

I'm going to do some research on this, OP, cool looking bird!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Looks like a Sparrowhawk to me, here's a pic on this link
    http://room11.patstuam.ie/blog/?tag=birds-of-prey
    see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

Sparrowhawk I think, but I'm no expert on names.
    We get a lot of raptors around here.

Might just be a cross alright, though I think I've seen similar - wonder which way it hunts?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

liah wrote: »
    What's the size of it, roughly?

It looks oddly like a mix of a sparrow hawk/kestrel and a peregrine falcon. Neither of which are native to Ireland as far as I know (could be wrong, but I know them from North America). Also i'd be incredibly unlikely to see a peregrine falcon in the wild at all, even if it is native.

I'd say it's some kind of hawk/falcon anyway. Can't see its beak or claws well though.

I'm going to do some research on this, OP, cool looking bird!

It's about 12-15 inches tall. It sits on the wall watching my bird feeders when they are covered with birds.

An interesting this is that there seems to be a "Guard bird" on the feeder when that brid is there. One bird seems to be keeping an eye on it while the others feed.

It's a beautiful bird to watch!

Thanks!

mymo wrote: »
    Looks like a Sparrowhawk to me, here's a pic on this link
    http://room11.patstuam.ie/blog/?tag=birds-of-prey
    see what you think.

Thanks for the link! It does look like a Sparrow Hawk.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jurgen

Some12 wrote: »
    This bird has been perched on the wall by house every day for the last couple of weeks.

Is this a hawk?

Thanks!

Hi, that is a beautiful adult male sparrowhawk that you have visiting you house, he seems well chilled out for a wild bird, have you other small birds feeding at/ near your home? Regards Jurgen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_Sparrowhawk
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Kestrel

Those two are the closest I could find on the list Wiki has of native Irish birds. Doesn't look exactly like either. Nearly looks like a blend of the two!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Here's the picture from today.

Sorry for the poor quality but I don't want to scare it off by getting too close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jurgen

Some12 wrote: »
    Here's the picture from today.

Sorry for the poor quality but I don't want to scare it off by getting too close.
    Hi, really great photos , its diffently a male sparrowhawk also known as a musket.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your help!

It's great knowing what it is.

All the best all!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Falcon

Yep, Its a male sparrowhawk. The male is a good bit smaller than the female which does not have that russet colour around the neck and breast area.. You're lucky to have such a beautiful creature like that where you can watch it. They hunt small birds by gliding at a low level with occasional wing flaps. The female is big enough to take out a pidgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

What a beautiful bird......we get lots of buzzards round here could watch them all day!!!

Advertisement