Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some good computer repair place that will test my CPU or Mobo.

Options
  • 28-11-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've just finished my new build. It worked for a couple of hours til it suddenly powered off, now it only powers up the fans and Mobo LED's.. I'm fairly sure the CPU cooler was installed correctly so i didn't THINK it was CPU burnout.. So i think there was some fault with the motherboard or CPU beforehand.. Anywhere i can get to check these in another system to see which isn't working? It's an i7 950 processor and an Asrock Extreme6 motherboard.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AengusMB

Sorry, in Cork by the way :L

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Don't rule out a PSU fault just because the fans are spinning. (Not from Cork so can't answer main question :))

Hmm, i was told by a repair guy that that meant it was okay.. But I can't test that unfortunately, my old PSU hasn't enough power to run my graphics card so... :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

can u post some pics of the motherboard and all the psu cable,s going into the board and we can try and help

Well i have only the mobo, CPU, memory and graphics card attached at the moment, so i only have the 8 pin and the 24 pin power cables plugged into the mobo, then the 2 pci-e power cables into my graphics card. Still no power to the USB's or signal to the displays. The PSU is a Corsair 850TX so it should be fairly reliable..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

have u the ram in the white slots and also do u have a molex in the pci slot and have u try,d clearing the cmos i think there,s a button on the rear i/o

Yep, no, my PSU has PCI-E power cables already, don't have to convert from molex, and tried clearing the CMOS too :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

AengusMB wrote: »
    Well i have only the mobo, CPU, memory and graphics card attached at the moment, so i only have the 8 pin and the 24 pin power cables plugged into the mobo, then the 2 pci-e power cables into my graphics card. Still no power to the USB's or signal to the displays. The PSU is a Corsair 850TX so it should be fairly reliable..?

Even Corsair can produce a dud unit such is the nature of Electronic manufacturing. Not saying it is any more or less likely than the CPU or motherboard to be the fault, but it could be a dodgy 12V rail for example.

What was the old PSU? It may have enough power to boot the system even though it wouldn't be able for the full system load. (Assuming it even has enough PCIe connectors etc). No harm trying to rule it out if you can.

You probably have tried booting with single stick of RAM and disconnecting all drives etc?

Yeah, Just checked the connections on the PSU.. Only one PCI-E connector and no molexes to convert.. Damn factory computer. Also it only has a 4 pin 12v connector instead of 8 pin.. Pretty frustrating stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'll bet you 50euro it's the PSU, bring to a local PC store and ask them to test the rails from the mobo connector.

when a rail is over loaded/blown, say the 12 volt rail, the others keep working, making the fans twitch etc.

I have a coursar 1000TX and it blew within a month with the exact same symptoms.

Ach, i just handed the Mobo and CPU in yesterday :L
    Thanks though, i'll know what the problem is if the others come back fine..
    Probably wasted any money they'll charge me though :L

Ah, just tested the rail voltage with a multimeter, everything's normal..
    Guess handing in my CPU and Mobo wasn't such a waste then :L

Advertisement