Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow socks and tyres

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This guy on ebay is excellent, have bought twice from him (recently) and it arrives in no time considering the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"Snow grips" thread merged with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

warning about grips.

Mate bought them yesterday for 75 quid or something, drove from dublin and now they need to be thrown out really

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Dyflin wrote: »
    This guy on ebay is excellent, have bought twice from him (recently) and it arrives in no time considering the distance.

Is he in the US? How long did it take? Thinking this might be a good stocking filler for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 motthomas

puffdragon wrote: »
    I certainly hope that someone finds a better video than the one on this thread to prove to me the advantages of winter tyres, because I have rarely seen a more weighted,contrived and orchestrated display of slight of driving in my life!
    Now I have just watched that video and not content and to give them the benefit of the doubt I also watched the other 5 videos in the series, well people there are so many things wrong with them that I really wouldn't know where to start,
    Suffice to say that if your on the road tomorrow on whichever tyres you have on please make sure the four tyres are the same and the secret is to drive easy and carefully. I hope thers some grit down tomorrow because I have to take the weans to school !! And here this might cheer you up!!

Take a look at this one so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

Its a much more accurate test. Same cars, worse surface grip and also more consistent (ice rink) and slower speeds too.

The difference between all season and winter tyres on snow or ice is the same as using slicks vs wets on a wet track! Not only is the thread different but its a different rubber compound too to keep the tyres more supple and grippier at low temperatures. Definately worth the money IMO. If you only end up using them for 2-3 months a year they will last. The problem with using snow socks is that you can still get badly caught out with black ice on a normal frosty morning. At least with winter tyres you are prepared all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Yes I agree , this seems to be a much more accurate way of demonstrating the advantages of winter tyres, and this test would convince me. My faith in tyre technology has been restored, thank you.

Do you think its worth changing to winter's here in Donegal since we only have a couple of weeks really bad weather? , and where I live is about three miles from the main road which ( council permitting) is gritted most of the time.

I hear these winter tyres are fairly cheap, I must price how much it would cost to have four tyres already on rims "ready to go" as it were, because the tyre men dont like to mess about with my alloys too much if they can help it.

Did you try the winter tyres this year yourself , how did it work for you pricewise and so on Id like to hear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got part used winters from www.martintyres.com, they have about 6mm of tread left on them (i needed new tyres anyway as my old ones were pretty gone)

and on this
    138652.jpg

they give you loads more grip and even sliding is more controlled, on summers you can turn the wheel while braking and nothing happens on these you actually get grip.

on ice not a huge amount of difference but thought it was a bit slippy driving on sunday until i got out of the car and nearly fell over !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

i got part used winters from www.martintyres.com, they have about 6mm of tread left on them (i needed new tyres anyway as my old ones were pretty gone)

Did you buy 2 or 4, ednwireland? We originally got 2 (from the same place as you) but I nagged talked himself into getting another 2, which should get fitted today :D
    Mind you, I still have no intention of going out unless it's essential. We are stocking up (no pun intended) today and tomorrow in preparation for the snowmagddon that the Weather forum is forecasting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

danniemcq wrote: »
    warning about grips.

Mate bought them yesterday for 75 quid or something, drove from dublin and now they need to be thrown out really

FFS, did he not read the few bits of advice that comes with them? Of course he wrecked them, they're not supposed to replace winter tyres. Would he drive from Dublin to Donegal with chains on? :confused:

They are only designed for driving on snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Domscard wrote: »
    Did you buy 2 or 4, ednwireland? We originally got 2 (from the same place as you) but I nagged talked himself into getting another 2, which should get fitted today :D
    Mind you, I still have no intention of going out unless it's essential. We are stocking up (no pun intended) today and tomorrow in preparation for the snowmagddon that the Weather forum is forecasting.

thought about 2 but thought better of it now need four rims so i can make it easier for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Was talking to a fella in Ulster Tyre company, he said the main depot in Stranorlar has snow socks available. Didn't ask how much, but i think there around €80. They are meant to be very good and can be put on the car in minutes. You can only drive at a maximum speed of 30mph with them on, but in bad conditions you wont be going that speed anyway.
    I'm heading down in the morning to get some for the missus car. I'll post tomorrow night how i got on.

*if you are buying them, ask the seller for advice on driving with them, above is only what i heard*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Came on to post the same thing Senna as my original post asked where they could be bought locally.

They have only some left at the minute but are getting another delivery in tomorrow. Best to ring before hand to make sure they have your size. Picking up mine in the morning also, 225/40/18 for €75.

Not bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Went to buy winter tyres yesterday around Lifford and they tried to sell me summer tyres. Said it was a winter compound but in a summer mould. Winter tyres are suppose to have a snowflake symbol on them, these had a sun symbol and SOMMER written on them. I wasn't convinced. The pattern didn't look like anything that would give extra grip in the snow. €55 euro each, but I didn't bite. Beware when you are buying tyres (if you can source them at this stage). Check that they are winter ones!

I have snow socks and they are brilliant. A bit fiddly to get on and off. Tarmac will rip them eventually. Great for getting up into the estate on top of a hill in Letterkenny. Good going downhill as well; very secure. Which brings me to a point....
    Driving downhill on snow/ice is one of the most unnerving experiences. I put the car (diesel avensis) in 1st and feet off the brake and clutch, and use the engine to control speed etc. Any thoughts?

muckish wrote: »
    Went to buy winter tyres yesterday around Lifford and they tried to sell me summer tyres. Said it was a winter compound but in a summer mould. Winter tyres are suppose to have a snowflake symbol on them, these had a sun symbol and SOMMER written on them.

They were probably remoulds, so the tyre could say anything. It could have been a summer tyre that was remoulded into a snow thread. But if they didn't look like snow tyres the garage could have been taking the mick.

I know a few garages have been selling remould snow tyres, normally i wouldn't touch a remould, but if remoulded snow tyres it might be ok, as long as you take them off as soon as the weather picks up.

Got the socks today, so far so good. The tyres have plenty of traction now so hills no longer a problem. Seem pretty well put together so hopefully will last too.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Got the socks today, so far so good. The tyres have plenty of traction now so hills no longer a problem. Seem pretty well put together so hopefully will last too.

Do they take long to put on and off? Would the "cant even pump my own petrol" missus be able to manage them?

Id say no, but it depends on the car id suppose, my wheels fill the arch a good bit so can be tricky as space is tight. On other cars in our house I would say they would be a lot easier.
    And its very likely people will help her as anytime i was putting them on/off I was asked about them and offered help.

Drove over a 100 miles in them tonight and took some back roads I would never have usually considered. Was half expecting to get stuck thinking I was taking on too much but they didnt slip at all.

Conditions tonight are perfect for them though i'd say with the deep snow, probably less good in the ice but they havnt worn a bit yet.

Pleased with the purchase so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

just another wee point on these socks, i seen them in action today and they are superb on soft fluffy snow but was told they are useless in compact / frozen snow and ice, which is the problem we have most of the time anyways, person who had them on said they had snow tyres for his old car and shoulda bought them instead of the socks said they were way way more effective!

I had my snow sock on the car for the last 3 days. I can say they are excellent in the deep snow and on the compacted icy snow. I've driven up gortlee hill this morning, up kiltoy hill and into Meadowhill (if anyone knows these hills). Most cars parked at the bottom of the estate out on the main road. Mine are begining to wear out though, noticed a hole in them this morning but still they performed.
    I would consider buying snowtyres in the future (if I could only source 16inch ones!). Might buy them online in prep for the next time we get snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Driving downhill on snow/ice is one of the most unnerving experiences. I put the car (diesel avensis) in 1st and feet off the brake and clutch, and use the engine to control speed etc. Any thoughts?

That's what I do too, usually works pretty good, except going down Gortlee yesterday evening! Had to use the kerb to stop me. :o

Plus, when trying to go up a hill, in these conditions, it's best to go at a good, but steady pace. I came out of Aldi yesterday, and thought I'd try DeValera hill, up to the hospital (as it's always gritted), but I was behind a really slow moving mini. I knew it would never make it, just going way too slow. I was right!

If it's a steep hill, best to aim for at least 2nd gear, keeping the revs slightly above 2,700rpm. Try to gently maintain the rpm, as you climb, and don't worry about your speed, which will drop. As you're already in 2nd gear, you shouldn't have any need to change gears (which can kill any momemtum). If you find a slight lack of grip, do not suddenly ease off the throttle, or the car will stop! Just ease back a bit, to stop the engine rpm racing, but try to maintain control. If you do stop, and just can't get going - please put on your hazards to let others know you're in bother, and don't be afraid to get out and ask for help.

I remember a story where a friend said how miserable people where when they wouldn't stop to help him, even though he had his hazards on! I asked him if he was trying to wave down someone, and he said no! Just sitting in the car! I soon explained his foolish attitude! :rolleyes:

/Unless you're driving a fancy rear-wheel drive yoke, like a BMW! Loads of them abandoned at the side of the roads in Letterkenny! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Heard the M50 is littered with snow socks, they wear out very quickly, and for the price of them I think a set of winter tyres would be better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mamakevf wrote: »
    Heard the M50 is littered with snow socks, they wear out very quickly, and for the price of them I think a set of winter tyres would be better value.

Is that down to people driving on a clear road though. They are really only suited to snow covered roads.

If you do take to a clear read I have read its only recomended to go a short distance and keeping the speed down.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is that down to people driving on a clear road though. They are really only suited to snow covered roads.

If you do take to a clear read I have read its only recomended to go a short distance and keeping the speed down.
    It would be down to people driving on tarmac, but what can they do? They would need them to get out of their housing estates, but the main routes would be clear, so for me it would be winter tyres at around €35 each and can be removed for use next year.
    I think snow socks are about €70-€80 a pair and wear out quickly.
    In Germany it is the law that you have a set of winter tyres, don't know what the dates are that they have to be changed, but I do know that they have checkpoints at the start of the season to check that you have changed over to winter tyres, otherwise there is a fine.
    For me personally it would be the tyres rather than the socks as they incur the same amount of hassle to fit them, but you may get 2-3 years or more out of the tyres.
    And no, I dont work in a tyre centre or have any connections, but I am in the Motor trade.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

My only concern is with people using winters or socks that a minority of them may think they can drive how they usally drive and the winters or socks will look after them. This is unfortunatly not the case. People need to learn to drive to the conditions. regardless of their type of car or what they use to keep them on the road.

Think thats why the M50 is littered with them unfortunately,it's not feasible to be removing them every time the road clears and then putting them on again.
    Personally I think they are an expensive gimmick with good advertising to make people part with their hard earned when there is already a more practical solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Plenty of idiots with "summer" tyres trying to get up the hill from the junction at the old Dunnes stores in the direction of St. Eunans this evening at about 5PM. Cars, Vans even Taxi's with passengers trying to make it up the hill sliding in every direction, only 4x4s made it up and one or two cars with winter tyres including us (whilst negotiating around these morons).
    Why would you put yourself and other road users at risk if you do not have the required precautions taken ie winter tyres fitted or at least these "snow socks" fitted. There are to many thick people out there with the "it'll be alright" mentality. Stay on level surface as much as you can if you are running "normal" tyres. Unfortunately we cannot rely on regular gritting in any place at the moment so why take the risk?
    Winter tyres at 35 Euro a piece are often remolds or of very poor quality and I wouldn't trust them full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Biglad wrote: »
    and one or two cars with winter tyres including us (whilst negotiating around these morons)
    Biglad wrote: »
    Winter tyres at 35 Euro a piece are often remolds or of very poor quality and I wouldn't trust them full stop.
    Bit of a contradiction there Biglad

muffler wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there Biglad

I've seen the "35 Euro tyres", several of them, and I know where some of these originated from, would not entertain them myself. I probably would not entertain a remould full stop.

Some of the above tyres are sold as "winter tyres" whilst they are all seasons which do not offer the same grip and performance levels of proper winter tyres whilst the individuals who bought them were under the impression that they were.

Let me know if that helps with the "contradiction" you think you spotted. Maybe I should have mentioned that we paid through the nose for our Hankook ones because of the gynormous demand for winters throughout western Europe :D

On the plus side they have helped me (and my missus) to continue going to work, the shops, and ferrying about family members and friends from and to the same.

Biglad, where did you get your winter tyres? I'm trying to source 205/55 R16 but they're nowhere to be had. Looks like I might have to order them off the web. www.eiretyres.com
    I use the winter socks but they are wearing out and long term the investment in a set of winter tyres and spare rims is better value.

• Advertisement

Biglad, where did you get your winter tyres? I'm trying to source 205/55 R16 but they're nowhere to be had. Looks like I might have to order them off the web. www.eiretyres.com
    I use the winter socks but they are wearing out and long term the investment in a set of winter tyres and spare rims is better value.

Got them there. Arrived at the Letterkenny depot of DPD 5 days after I ordered them. My car normally takes 225/45/17 but I went for 215/50/17 on the winters, one of the recommended sizes in my manual.
    Expect to pay a premium as there is a massive demand. They are worth every single Euro, you will not believe the difference!!

<snip>

Advertisement