Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow socks and tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Biglad wrote: »
    Got them there. Arrived at the Letterkenny depot of DPD 5 days after I ordered them.

Where di you get them fitted afterwards. Thinking of getting either the Uniroyal MSpluss 66 or the Michelin A4. Bit of a difference in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Got them there. Arrived at the Letterkenny depot of DPD 5 days after I ordered them. My car normally takes 225/45/17 but I went for 215/50/17 on the winters, one of the recommended sizes in my manual.
    Expect to pay a premium as there is a massive demand. They are worth every single Euro, you will not believe the difference!!

<snip>

Please Don't post other peoples phone numbers up, read the forum charter, fully before you post again please....
    charter wrote:
    Phone numbers
    - Posting other people phone numbers is a bannable offence. You should never post your own number on a thread as it is not guaranteed to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Please Don't post other peoples phone numbers up, read the forum charter, fully before you post again please....

Took the number from the OP in the winter tyres thread as he posted it there first, if repeating a voluntairily posted phone number is included than please accept my humble apologies.

muckish wrote: »
    Where di you get them fitted afterwards. Thinking of getting either the Uniroyal MSpluss 66 or the Michelin A4. Bit of a difference in price.

WG Tyres in Milford, think most "smaller" fitters do not have an issue with fitting tyres for you that were bought elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tdmci

I've seen the "35 Euro tyres", several of them, and I know where some of these originated from, would not entertain them myself. I probably would not entertain a remould full stop.

Some of the above tyres are sold as "winter tyres" whilst they are all seasons which do not offer the same grip and performance levels of proper winter tyres whilst the individuals who bought them were under the impression that they were.

Let me know if that helps with the "contradiction" you think you spotted. Maybe I should have mentioned that we paid through the nose for our Hankook ones because of the gynormous demand for winters throughout western Europe :D

On the plus side they have helped me (and my missus) to continue going to work, the shops, and ferrying about family members and friends from and to the same.

Do you have 2 or 4 snow tyres fitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i have 2 remould snow tires on and have used remould snows for years now and have no problem with them , the ones i have this year are Insa Turbo , they do a large range of remould tires for offroading 4x4`s and have a very good name as a remould tire i'd recomend them to anyone, i have a set of Insa Turbo special track on the landrover onece and was very happy with the way they were but together

http://www.insaturbo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93&Itemid=102&lang=en

i think its the very bottom ones i have on the car , they don't have studs or spikes the ones i have

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tdmci

Decided to go for 4 15" tyres - got them in Strabane (letterkenny sold out). Great job - can actually get out of estate and around on back roads with no difficulty. Well worth investing in.

tdmci wrote: »
    Do you have 2 or 4 snow tyres fitted?

4, only correct and safe option.

hey there i know we are still in summer but i was doing a bit of reading on the net about weather this past few days and its looking like we will have as much and maybe more snow and ice this winter so now would be a good time to but winter tires or chains before the prices go way up , i happened to buy tires for the girlfriends car this week just normal road tires as its up for the nct i bought them here http://www.camskill.co.uk/ and i saved about 125 euros compaired to if i bought them here in donegal they also do a large selection of winter tires at very good prices delivery is very quick too i ordered my 4 tires on tuesday and got them yesterday , just thought i'd put up a post and let people know the story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

i am on the hunt for some of these babys my self
    http://www.camskill.co.uk/smsimg/1632/59568-63752-main--1632.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I spotted a set of wheels and snow tyres for sale on another forum a few months ago, the seller mentioned the tyres have a strange sort of thread but that they looked 'grippy' and were as new with 7mm thread on all 4 tyres. I got him to send me pictures and drove the following day to cookstown (from letterkenny) to buy them....So i got 4 mint alloy wheels with 4 (as new) Yokohama IG72 snow tyres all for €170 (£150) I was absolutely delighted as you can imagine. I priced the tyres (which are now discontinued) and when new they were €180 each!!! (theyre 215/45/17) so i got one helluva bargain when you consider i got a set of wheels too so all i have to do is stick them on the car when the need arises and not have to worry about going to a tyre place to get tyres fitted to my own rims....bring on the snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Ordering 4 hankook snow tyres soon myself.
    Anyone know where I can pick up new steel wheels? Failing that ill just pick up 4 used ones from the local breakers yard. I intend to mount the snow tyres on them and put them on the motor when the road conditions are suitable (temperature, etc)
    Also any idea how much 4 steel wheels
    would cost?
    Cheers

Ordering 4 hankook snow tyres soon myself.
    Anyone know where I can pick up new steel wheels? Failing that ill just pick up 4 used ones from the local breakers yard. I intend to mount the snow tyres on them and put them on the motor when the road conditions are suitable (temperature, etc)
    Also any idea how much 4 steel wheels
    would cost?
    Cheers

what make of car have you ? prices vary

CJC999 wrote: »
    I spotted a set of wheels and snow tyres for sale on another forum a few months ago, the seller mentioned the tyres have a strange sort of thread but that they looked 'grippy' and were as new with 7mm thread on all 4 tyres. I got him to send me pictures and drove the following day to cookstown (from letterkenny) to buy them....So i got 4 mint alloy wheels with 4 (as new) Yokohama IG72 snow tyres all for €170 (£150) I was absolutely delighted as you can imagine. I priced the tyres (which are now discontinued) and when new they were €180 each!!! (theyre 215/45/17) so i got one helluva bargain when you consider i got a set of wheels too so all i have to do is stick them on the car when the need arises and not have to worry about going to a tyre place to get tyres fitted to my own rims....bring on the snow!!!

lucky man not every day you get a bargin like that Yokohama are a real good brand too well done there :)

what make of car have you ? prices vary

Toyota carina. The all season tyres on at the min are 175/65/r14. Might go for 165/65/r14 for the winter rubber. Should fit the same steel i think

Toyota carina. The all season tyres on at the min are 175/65/r14. Might go for 165/65/r14 for the winter rubber. Should fit the same steel i think

ah great machine i have a carina e , yea 165/65/r14 will go on no problem but with snow tires i'd rather stick with 175 or 185 because your not trying to cut through the snow but grip on top of it , i must look at my snow tires tomorrow and i'll let you know what size they are i have 2 spare 15 inch alloys i got off a toyota avensis in a scrap yard i went for 15 inch as i had a better choice of snow tires , as for buying new steel wheels kellys toyota in mountcharles were selling new steel wheels for 80 euro each last year i think , this is crazy money , you will get 4 steel wheels of a carina in a scrap yard for 80 euros with tires of some sort , also toyota avensis wheels will fit too and some VW wheels also, i am guessing your carina is 5 stud ? hope this helps or anything else you want to know just ask :)

Like Deer Hunter said go to a breakers yard and get steel wheels from a similar car. As far as i can remember your car uses 5x100 PCD wheels which are the same as all subarus and some VAG cars too so you should have no bother picking up a set. I'd advise you to get them now and not leave it till the weather gets colder and demand for used wheels goes up.

Thanks for the advice.
    They're 5 stud alright, should be plenty of motors with that setup like you say. I think I'll go with the 175 width winters, I like your thinking re the better grip. Rang around a few breakers up in Dublin where I work and am going to pick up a set of 4 at the weekend, good price too (suppose the demand hasnt started yet - but you can be damn sure it will when the weather turns!!). Just have to decide on the tyres now, probably go with the Snowtrac3 - they look decent :cool: Any recommendations from personal experience on that front?
    Cheers again lads.

Thanks for the advice.
    They're 5 stud alright, should be plenty of motors with that setup like you say. I think I'll go with the 175 width winters, I like your thinking re the better grip. Rang around a few breakers up in Dublin where I work and am going to pick up a set of 4 at the weekend, good price too (suppose the demand hasnt started yet - but you can be damn sure it will when the weather turns!!). Just have to decide on the tyres now, probably go with the Snowtrac3 - they look decent :cool: Any recommendations from personal experience on that front?
    Cheers again lads.

Vredestein Snowtrac 3 will do fine mate but a cheaper one could be as good , i used insa turbo remould snow tires last year and never got suck they were35 euro each , but the Vredestein Snowtrac 3 would be a much better tire

One word of advice if buying wheels from a breakers, especially steel wheels, try one of them on the front of your car before buying as some wheels have smaller centre bores and wont fit all cars. I know toyotas have smaller centre bores than other cars but just make sure they fit before buying.

• Advertisement

not long now untill these will be needed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

not long now untill these will be needed :D

It's a canoe you would need today not a car. Lots of flooding out there.

I did get some snow chains last week, won't be needing them this week thats for sure, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers again lads.
    Did you get your Vredesteins? I got 2x Kleber krisalps hp2 last year for the front of the car and was amazed at how good they were. I got 2 cheap sunny SN3860 for the rear wheels this year, so bring on the white stuff. Last year I was looking for a spare set of steel rims for an Avensis 205/55/R16. Couldn't get them anywhere. Hopefully get better luck this year. Must start ringing around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Seen them snow socks in ASDA at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It's a canoe you would need today not a car. Lots of flooding out there.

I did get some snow chains last week, won't be needing them this week thats for sure, lol.

Snow today on the Glenshane Pass and on Errigal actually :pac:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1017/weather.html#video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Like I said before, a good set of new tyres (not winter tyres) combined with careful driving will see you right.
    I'm speaking from experience and I live at 300m AOD!

yourpics wrote: »
    Like I said before, a good set of new tyres (not winter tyres) combined with careful driving will see you right.
    I'm speaking from experience and I live at 300m AOD!

what non winter tires are you using that are so good in the snow and ice ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

what non winter tires are you using that are so good in the snow and ice ?

Last year I used Federal which I will admit aren't the best tyres but are good in the snow. Zetum are also very good but once the weather improves the tread wears very fast. I would stay well clear of Wanli, very little grip. I drive a FWD vehicle with fairly narrow tyres and very little weight at the back. I live at 300m AOD on untreated roads.
    I would be particularly nervous driving in snow so I think if I can manage it most others should aswell.

Advertisement