Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowan to make statement at 18:15

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He should resign as Taoiseach and stop the facade!

not gona happen. Its not in his interest and the only thing he is interested in is himself.

The IMF must have found something really big in the banks to have us bent over this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

godtabh wrote: »
    not gona happen. Its not in his interest and the only thing he is interested in is himself.

The IMF must have found something really big in the banks to have us bent over this bad

Probably right, and I don't think FG or Labour are interested in going into government either with their lack of budget proposals.

Sad state of affairs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    It doesn't mean anything. We just wake up, go to bed and do the same thing over and over. None of this means anything.

Of course it means something. It means that money which should be going into things like keeping regional hospitals open, fixing potholes, building schools, improving public transport, upgrading broadband etc will instead be used to pay off the interest on this money.

Saying this doesn't mean anything is akin to sticking your head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

Will we ever get the details?

what is pension fund interest? what is rate of IMF/EU new money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Of course it means something. It means that money which should be going into things like keeping regional hospitals open, fixing potholes, building schools, improving public transport, upgrading broadband etc will instead be used to pay off the interest on this money.

Saying this doesn't mean anything is akin to sticking your head in the sand.

Well tell me this, after a decade of boom, why is it that people lie on trolleys in A&E for 2 days before being treated, the secondary roads in most counties are practically off-road, there is a massive school shortage in most parts of the country, public transport outside the capital is sh1te. Broadband should be dependent on the normal rules of supply and demand. Instead the planning laws prevent normal private enterprise.

That's AFTER 10 years of boom, and the largest tax take in the states history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

syklops wrote: »
    Well tell me this, after a decade of boom, why is it that people lie on trolleys in A&E for 2 days before being treated, the secondary roads in most counties are practically off-road, there is a massive school shortage in most parts of the country, public transport outside the capital is sh1te. Broadband should be dependent on the normal rules of supply and demand. Instead the planning laws prevent normal private enterprise.

Why is it you ask? I'll tell you exactly why. It's because when it comes down to it there's not a whole of votes in investing money in capital expenditure in Ireland. No, instead the money was disproportionately spent on public sector wages, state pensions and social welfare payments.

And now when cuts have to be made it'll be the capital expenditure that'll be slashed first for exactly the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sean O'Rourke just gave Cowen a tough interview there on This Week in Politics. Toughest interview I have seen a FF'er get on RTE. Cowen blustered his way through it.

Still can't believe they are sacrificing the pension fund in the way they have. They are going to use up all our assets before getting a cent from Europe leaving the country totally vulnerable to any downward changes in the World markets in the future which is entirely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

gandalf wrote: »
    Sean O'Rourke just gave Cowen a tough interview there on This Week in Politics. Toughest interview I have seen a FF'er get on RTE. Cowen blustered his way through it.

Still can't believe they are sacrificing the pension fund in the way they have. They are going to use up all our assets before getting a cent from Europe leaving the country totally vulnerable to any downward changes in the World markets in the future which is entirely possible.

Thought Cowan did well. He is getting better by the day since the 4 year plan was published. I'm convinced, he will do like the Offaly hurlers, and play an absolute blinder in the last 10 minutes, to secure his position as leader of FF, and win the election. Not great for the country, but at least we won't have to listen to Enda, Gilmore and Joan of Arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

BeeDI wrote: »
    Thought Cowan did well. He is getting better by the day since the 4 year plan was published. I'm convinced, he will do like the Offaly hurlers, and play an absolute blinder in the last 10 minutes, to secure his position as leader of FF, and win the election. Not great for the country, but at least we won't have to listen to Enda, Gilmore and Joan of Arc.
    Worrying if this is the consensus of voters in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I think he will get electorally humiliated like Waterford did against Kilkenny in 2008, and rightly so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You think saddling the country with a crippling interest rate, stumping up money that was set aside for future pensions and using all our cash reserves is "playing a blinder" !!!! And you will vote for them again, mind boggling. I really would hate to see what you would call "not playing a blinder" LOL!

It is worrying that Fianna Fail will actually get more than one vote in the next election given the absolute disaster their policies have brought upon Ireland after 13 years of them in Government. Today the Government directly effected my sons future. I for one will never forgive them for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Did well? He didn't answer the question regarding how much the bank bailout will cost. Sort of important omission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Inverse to the power of one!

Er..........yeah, I don't think the defense forces are going to go along with his plan for a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Ah, here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

syklops wrote: »

Absolutely terrible what has happened, but is it really. Politics is rife with cronyism, as the poster said our hospitals are so mismanaged. Transport ourside the pale is terrible, a lot of proffessions are closed. PS reform needs to be implemented. No present government would do it maybe we do need a slash and burn to shock us.

We will suffer pain for a few years, but we need the country not just politics cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I also think Cowen did well, but it's only a dot of paint on a very big (and gloomy) picture, and FF are still heading towards electoral meltdown.

Herself told me that she had a disturbing thought: how Enda would perform in the same situation.

Advertisement