Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metoerite North of Cork

Options
  • 28-11-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I saw a large bright meteorite streaking across the horizon as I look north from carrigaline towards cork city. It was a brilliant white and bluish colour and didn't have the usual trail of bits breaking off although it did have a long tail of burning flame/gas. It stayed in the sky for about 5 seconds before it went dark. Could be in North Munster somewhere or even further north?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Some1 reported seeing it in Offaly on the weather forum also!... sounds like a big one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 always12

it looked huge in leitrim,

an incredible sight, I've never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Saw the same thing in mid Kerry. It was a spectacular sight

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ArdRi71

Think I saw the same thing, from Dublin about 17.45 heading in a south westerly direction. Too fast for a 'lantern' considering wind strengths at the time. Definitely not an aircraft, was a solid blue/green colour light and no beacon lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

always12 wrote: »
    it looked huge in leitrim,

an incredible sight, I've never seen anything like it.

Was it south of leitrim or to the north, did you have to look toward the horizon or was it higher up in the sky

• Advertisement

EVERYONE GO ONTO ASTRONOMY .ie AND REPORT UR FIREBALL SIGHTING :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

At about 17.50 we saw a green fireball travelling west here on the outskirts of Galway city near terryland. Bright green fireball with trail and everything. I've never seen the like of it before!

Could it be the same one?

Eviledna wrote: »
    At about 17.50 we saw a green fireball travelling west here on the outskirts of Galway city near terryland. Bright green fireball with trail and everything. I've never seen the like of it before!

YEs.... and again please go onto astronomy.ie and report it there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 always12

Drumsna, co. leitrim, heading from north east to west, it was low enough, dissappeared behind my single storey garage and out of site, seemed so close, almost expected to find something a few fields away!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BMurr

Eviledna wrote: »
    At about 17.50 we saw a green fireball travelling west here on the outskirts of Galway city

Sounds like it's gone in the Atlantic then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

I seen it too, i was in athenry looking north at 1743 hopefully it landed in Galway and didnt go as far as the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I was surfin the net on laptop and the Mrs. was watching tv whe she noticed it out our window as curtain was open.

Even though our garden floodlight was on it was very visible and was incredible to see it streaking across the sky i think it went from NW to SW.

I am in Clara, Co. Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

I was driving into naas from dublin at the ball and i seen it. It was green in colour for me didnt see a tail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Saw it as well at 17:41 - I was between mullingar and longford travelling at the time. began and ended Approx 20degrees above horizon (maintained a very steady level horizontal path) turned blue and much brighter just after it began to break up

reported to Astonomy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I saw it from the car park in Dublin Airport. I was hoping that someone else had seen it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

I saw it too in Wicklow Town, have reported it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

say this too guys, looked pretty cool, was on the N5 in Mayo near Castlebar travelling westwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Saw it on my way home, had to think twice as to what it was, looked great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

That wasn't a meteorite, it was €85 billion worth of debt coming to fry us. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I saw it it Mallow not sure about the time between 5.30-6.00. It was traveling fast with a flame behind it. It only lasted 5 seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 PeteyB3

I saw this fireball aswell. It was approx 17:40 yeaterday evening in the south east Clare region. It was travelling at a tremendous speed and was like nothing I've ever seen before. It had a turquoise/white tail on it. Such a unique experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I saw it too. I was travelling west on the motorway somewhere between Athlone and Galway at the time. Pretty cool to see :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 marti4

saw what yous are describing at approx 6.30pm. Donegal-north west. it was amazing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could it be multiple meteorites? There's over an hour for some sightings...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

antodeco wrote: »
    Could it be multiple meteorites? There's over an hour for some sightings...

yes its the beginnings of a series of meteor showers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

The fireball was a brilliant sight across the south and west of Ireland on Sunday night. Via the MAC website I also got quite a few calls from eyewitnesses. Even Midlands 103 got in touch about it.

The technical term for something like this is a bollide and you may see more of these in the next 2 to 3 weeks. This is due to the fact that we are approaching the peak of the Geminid Meteor Shower.

Like all meteor showers, these happen when Earth encounters a trail of dust typically left behind by a comet. What makes the Geminids most interesting is that is passes through a trail of debris left behind by an asteroid by the name of Phaethon. Phaethon is 5km wide and crosses Earth's orbit as it circles the Sun every 524 days.

The Geminids are renowned for their fireballs every year. Maximum of this shower occurs on the night of December 13th/14th with a predicted peak of between 80 to 100 meteors per hour. The radiant is the constellation of Gemini, high in the south traveling west as the night progresses. A waxing Moon will interfere, however with the numbers involved you will still be in for a treat.

Oh, and to hell with astronomy.ie!

Hope this helps,

Seanie.

Advertisement