Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wren Boys in Nov

Options
  • 28-11-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Just opened my door, West side of the City, to 3 girls singing Rudolph. It's November ffs. Has the snow really brought Christmas forward this much??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes.
    They've been subjected to so much christmas hype that they believe it is christmas already.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Thanks for clearing that up for me :D

I wouldn't let my kids out here as it's so slippy, never mind letting them off to knock on doors singing Christmas tunes in Nov and rattling a tin can of change at peoples doors. They rang the doorbell 3 times before I answered. Insistent little buggers :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They have some initiative anyway.
    I thought wren boys were actually boys. The girls get a go on St. Bridgets Day. Today's society has become so PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

is that not just carollers rather than wren boys? Still a bit early - but i guess the snow gives it the right atmosphere
    A neighbour of mine had a group of kids calling around at the start of October...apparently they were practising for Halloween!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The wren 'boys' are traditionally a St Stephen's Day thing.

The youngsters who called to the door carol singing have been subjected to so much Coronation St / Simpsons etc. counter-culture maybe they believe that Thanksgiving Day or Guy Fawkes Night are traditional Irish celebrations and that singing pre-Christmas carols door-to-door, aka begging, is also a tradition in Ireland (or they're just chancers :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

mathepac wrote: »
    or they're just chancers :D
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Just opened my door, West side of the City, to 3 girls singing Rudolph. It's November ffs. Has the snow really brought Christmas forward this much??

rudolf has nothing to do with wrenboys. title misleading here. the wren is not really hunted in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Fúcking chancers. I don't care what age they are.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    rudolf has nothing to do with wrenboys. title misleading here. the wren is not really hunted in galway

I don't understand..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mathepac wrote: »
    .... counter-culture maybe they believe that Thanksgiving Day or Guy Fawkes Night are traditional Irish celebrations and that singing pre-Christmas carols door-to-door, aka begging, is also a tradition in Ireland (or they're just chancers :D)

Begging is a tradition in Ireland: I can hardly step out my front door without tripping over beggars, most days of the year. (Think the "help the disabled" crew, Fairgreen clients who "need to catch the bus and I'm short a Euro", as well as the various "pleeeeze, my children" crowd.)

And carol singing is a tradition in most of the English speaking world, AFAIK.

Hell I've even combined the two myself (admittedly with a choir in a shopping centre).

I'd be a bit short of sympathy for going door to door during November, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

in the olden days, by which I mean the eighties the traveller women would knock on your own looking for a sup of milk or any spare food. they do not do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Do you live in lower Salthill?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

Westside beggers? I dont believe you! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wren Boys in Nov?

Maybe you mean Rent Boys :D

Hmm they were begging in Westside, don't know if they were from Westside :P

Not in Lower Salthill!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe you mean Rent Boys :D
    No they'd be in the West End :D