Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ankylosing Spondilitis

Options
  • 28-11-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey everyone,

was diagnosed with AS two years ago. Im 23 (for those that have never heard of it, it is a form of rheumatoid arthritis that generally affects males aged 20-30, with no cure!)

Only recently joined boards.ie so said id try find other AS sufferers and see how ye cope with the pain and how ye have adapted your lifestyles to be able to live with AS. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Hi
    I also suffer from AS. Was diagnosed just over 30yrs ago.

Went through a huge number of quacks (though for some reason they call themselves doctors.....) and was given all sorts of sh1te and snake oil to take. Went through hell with the pain in my lower back and legs, not to mention the regular attacks of Uveitis / Iritis.

Eventually, I met a brilliant doctor in South Africa. Diagnosed me correctly and put me on Indomethacin (I believe it is now no longer available) and some natural remedies and a list of foods to avoid - mainly the greasy / fatty foods but especially avoiding processed foods.
    Changed my world completely. I was able to function normally to the extent that I became a police officer & ended up in the tactical unit (very active lifestyle).

I was lucky in that my diease didn't affect me as badly as many others. All I had to remember was take my tablet daily and check my diet. I have now changed medication (am on Voltarol 75Mg / day) and have a more sedentary lifestyle.
    My movements have become slightly more restricted as the years have gone past. For example, I cannot touch my shoulders with my ears when I bend my neck; I have difficulty bending in certain directions and my posture is no longer 'ramrod' straight. However, considering that I cracked 2 vertebrae in my neck which required surgery (plus a steel plate) and was involved in more than a few incidents during my careeer, on a scale of 1-10 I'd say that I am currently about a 7.5

In the beginning, it looked bleak, but with determination, a bit of care and a good doctor (regular checkups are mandatory), you can live a full life.

Advertisement