Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of warranty repair question

Options
  • 28-11-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I have a 32inch walker LCD TV, bought in Oct '09, it had a 1 year warranty, its worked perfect up to now, but the two HDMI inputs have stopped working since last night. Its not the cables, they work on a different TV and its not the appliances I've tried them on another TV and from reading up on the problem its likely to be a hardware fault.

My question is, if the warranty is out am I still entitled to a repair, as surely the life expectancy of the TV is more than 14 months? I don't want a refund, I just feel I'm entitled to a repair, considering the type of item and cost? I'd just like some advice before I ring them up tomorrow? The manufacturer that is.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should be going to the shop you bought it in. You should get at least a repair, because as you point out, a TV should last longer than 14 months.

Who is the manufacturer, out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zoolander007

Walker an Irish company - http://www.walker.ie/pages/service.html -

I bought it in Power city, so I should go to them tomorrow and tell them the story? But will they not argue that the warranty is up? What are my rights legally for requesting a repair if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Once the warranty has expired the manufacturer owes you nothing, so there's no point in contacting them, they're out of the loop.

What you need to do is contact the shop who sold you the TV. They have a responsibility to you under the Sale of Goods and Services Act which gives you certain statutory rights.

Speak to the manager and make you claim calmly but clearly. They'll probably try to fob you off with the 'out-of-warranty' or 'not a manufacturing fault' line but the law doesn't go for that. A warranty is a perk given in addition to your statutory, it is not a replacement.

If you don't get anywhere, put your complaint into writing and send as a registered letter to the manager, giving them reasonable time (2 working weeks) to sort the problem. If after that time you can go to the Small Claims Court, it only costs €15 can be done online, and the ruling is legally binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 zoolander007

Thanks for the info, just one more quick question, I don't have the receipt, I can't find it, but I bought it on my credit card? Will that cover me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thanks for the info, just one more quick question, I don't have the receipt, I can't find it, but I bought it on my credit card? Will that cover me?

Thanks

Yes, all you require is proof of purchase, which could include a CC statement or they may even check their own records of the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Once the warranty has expired the manufacturer owes you nothing, so there's no point in contacting them, they're out of the loop.

What you need to do is contact the shop who sold you the TV. They have a responsibility to you under the Sale of Goods and Services Act which gives you certain statutory rights.

Speak to the manager and make you claim calmly but clearly. They'll probably try to fob you off with the 'out-of-warranty' or 'not a manufacturing fault' line but the law doesn't go for that. A warranty is a perk given in addition to your statutory, it is not a replacement.

If you don't get anywhere, put your complaint into writing and send as a registered letter to the manager, giving them reasonable time (2 working weeks) to sort the problem. If after that time you can go to the Small Claims Court, it only costs €15 can be done online, and the ruling is legally binding.

can you post a link to an actual case that this sale of goods act has been applied to , i have a copy of sale of goods etc so please dont post links to that ,what im looking for is links to a ruling on out of warrenty repairs being a problem that the retailer is obligated to remedy for free -im not looking for peoples personal or professional opinion just a link ,thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

knighted_1 wrote: »
    can you post a link to an actual case that this sale of goods act has been applied to , i have a copy of sale of goods etc so please dont post links to that ,what im looking for is links to a ruling on out of warrenty repairs being a problem that the retailer is obligated to remedy for free -im not looking for peoples personal or professional opinion just a link ,thanks

Are SCC rulings linkable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

Mactard wrote: »

well for an act or law to stand up it has to be tested in court ,yes? so somewhere there has to be a case ruling that solicotors and lawyers can refer to ? other than that its just an informative act ,a guide line open to interpretation

i find that everybody can post links to the sale of goods act but no one has proved it -

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

well for an act or law to stand up it has to be tested in court ,yes? so somewhere there has to be a case ruling that solicotors and lawyers can refer to ? other than that its just an informative act ,a guide line open to interpretation

i find that everybody can post links to the sale of goods act but no one has proved it -

Thank you for the additional, albeit unrequested, information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Have a read of this post and the thread it came from here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement