Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gritting the roads.

Options
  • 28-11-2010 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here know who to contact about the lack of road gritting in Co. Tipperary?

I live a mile from the Tipp/Limerick border, Limerick Co Co are outstanding when it comes to trying to keep us safe on the roads, however, they stop gritting at the border (carnahalla) and there is NEVER any grit from there to Cappawhite - Annacarty and so on.

Absolutely disgraceful IMO, There is already one car smashed on that road this evening from the ice straight into a wall.

If anyone from Tipp CoCo is reading this, I beseech you, grit those roads or there WILL be fatalities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Does anyone here know who to contact about the lack of road gritting in Co. Tipperary
    If anyone from Tipp CoCo is reading this, I beseech you, grit those roads or there WILL be fatalities.
    have you not answered your ownquestion? South Tipp Co Co if south and North tipp co co if north. i think the area you mention is north so

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/contact.html#ro

btw i am not from tipp co co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

N roads, R roads and a small minority of L roads should be gritted. Most L roads that just have a few one-off houses on them should certainly not be gritted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

WildOscar wrote: »
    have you not answered your ownquestion? South Tipp Co Co if south and North tipp co co if north. i think the area you mention is north so

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/contact.html#ro

btw i am not from tipp co co

Thanks for that, I was hoping for a name though, as I have rang up and been fobbed off from pillar to post.
    Furet wrote: »
    N roads, R roads and a small minority of L roads should be gritted. Most L roads that just have a few one-off houses on them should certainly not be gritted.

These roads have houses every few yards, who on earth are you to say they "should certainly not be gritted" besides I am talking about R roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Thanks for that, I was hoping for a name though, as I have rang up and been fobbed off from pillar to post.

Your local councillor is on a website somewhere, call them on the mobile.
    They will give the info but better still, tell them to make the call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

is there not an email address for the roads? Call the main switch and ask for managers office, ring them and get email for manager

Don't waste your time with gombeenman councillors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The gombeenman councillors work for you

Let them make a call and then you followup

These roads have houses every few yards, who on earth are you to say they "should certainly not be gritted" besides I am talking about R roads.

I'm a taxpayer, and if people choose to build their houses off the beaten path then they cannot expect to automatically receive services that are more easily and cheaply delivered to nucleated settlements. Should every dead-end boreen be salted? No!
    One-off housing is a costly blight on this country, and you cannot expect lightly trafficked roads to be gritted. We can't afford it and the salt is better spread on important R and N roads. It costs a fortune to deliver electricity, broadband and roadworks to one-off housing dominated areas:
    Each new one-off dwelling unit constructed demands more resources than are received in taxes, and the burden of those costs are passed on to other tax payers. Most of the significant hidden costs which arise as a result of the existence of each one-off house are externalised with the additional expense borne by the national Exchequer to the detriment of other necessary services. For example, postal services to one-off rural households are four times more than an urban house. Since there is no connection charge for postal services and all householders pay the same, the Government (tax payer) is therefore providing a de facto financial subsidy to all one-off households. On the other hand, an electricity connection to a rural house is 122% higher than for an urban one. A price differential is maintained after that because the annual standing charge for rural areas is 61% higher. The higher rural standing charge for electricity reflects extra costs e.g. those caused by storm damage to overhead wires, is confirmation of the extra costs associated with dispersed rural settlement. However, no other publicly provided service or infrastructure maintains this differential.

Ireland has a hugely inefficient electricity supply network. The ESB is forced to maintain more than three times the length of distribution circuit per customer as compared to, for example, the UK. To avoid voltage drop over this extended network, at least one transformer for every square kilometre is needed in almost 75% of the area supplied by the ESB. This means that Ireland has almost one third the number of transformers as in the UK despite having a total distribution network of just half the size and 6% of its population. The higher connection charge levied on rural inhabitants (which incidentally applies not only to one-off rural dwellers but all rural areas) only accounts for half the actual cost of connection due to a ceiling imposed by the CER. In addition, unit prices are the same in urban and rural areas and as a consequence rural dwellers do not incur subsequent charges associated with the significant maintenance requirements of the extra length of power line (particularly due to falling trees etc) or the profligate loss of electricity due to the inefficient and lengthy network. (source)

The extra fees paid by the owners of one-off houses do not nearly begin to cover the true cost. If people want better services, they should live in or near a town. People can of course live where they want; they can even demand the same services as those received by people who live more economically. Thankfully however, the owners of one-off houses can never expect to actually receive them because it simply isn't sensible, affordable or sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Ok Furet, since you didn't bother to read my post, even when you quoted it I'll say it louder

I AM REFERRING TO AN R ROAD

the R505 to be specific.

"Interesting" and all as your 'I'm a tax-payer' spiel is, it really has no bearing on why this R road is being neglected.

Please read posts properly.

Ok Furet, since you didn't bother to read my post, even when you quoted it I'll say it louder

I AM REFERRING TO AN R ROAD

the R505 to be specific.

"Interesting" and all as your 'I'm a tax-payer' spiel is, it really has no bearing on why this R road is being neglected.

Please read posts properly.

Ah but you see I do read them. I explicitly stated that certain L roads should not be gritted. You then asked me
    who on earth are you to say they "should certainly not be gritted" besides I am talking about R roads

It doesn't matter if you were talking about a R roads, because you took issue with my statement, which was about L roads. The conclusion I drew, which is that you resented my assertion about L roads, was perfectly valid in the context of your response to me. Besides, you will have noted, I'm sure, that I said R roads should be gritted. They are important transport corridors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Schools here insist on staying open and there's no road been gritted/salted even in the village outside the school, the council were out down one country lane.....but they were filling pot holes!

Yes main roads should be done but there are plenty of roads that are regularly travelled and it's been going on two weeks so they have had plenty of time to come out here and grit/salt. We can't afford to be buying bags of salt otherwise would be doing it ourselves and gladly just so that people can safely get out of their cars to walk their child across the road to school, people are also driving much too fast.

Can understand why main roads get the priority but problem is now people can't get out onto their main road because they can't safely drive from a to b. This country is so backward and slow to do anything, you'd think they'd have learned from last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement