Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting the LC in a different school?

• 28-11-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Who do I need to go talk to about this? The principal of the other school, my own or both?
    And can the principal of the other school deny this or is it out of their hands since the school is an exam centre and not their school for those couple of weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You would need to ask both I'd say, because it will probably affect exam numbers and the number of papers they will need. I don't know if they absolutely have to let you, it would need to be a really good reason, like you were being bullied and being in the exam center with the bullies would wreck your whole LC or something or thin the journey in the morning might mean you couldn't guarantee being in on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

It is jouney time actually. An hour and a half commute to school and the Port Tunnel closing, or an accident or even missing my bus might cause me to be late. Which is obviously not something I can even think of happening :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

You can but how you would go about doing it, I don't know!

You would probably have to register as an external candidate or something?! Talk to your principal or the teacher in charge of the registration for exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Do you mean 2012 or 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

The principal of the other school definitely doesn't have to let you in. I go to school in Dublin but I'm from the country and the schools closest to my house don't take outsiders, but I managed to get a place in a school about 20 minutes away. Some principals are more than happy to take outside people, others seem to be offended at the thought and don't want extra work if the outside students want rechecks and their own students usually don't get them. I also wouldn't recommend asking at your old school if you have moved schools, it just seems a bit rude in my opinion, especially if you didn't leave on the greatest of terms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sit it anywhere you want, but contact the SEC and make sure you're organised early, so that your school can make sure any practical work is in the other centre.
    Probably best to get your own school's Examinations secretary to do it all. They will have a pain in their face though if you start a number of people wanting the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

amortentia wrote: »
    The principal of the other school definitely doesn't have to let you in. I go to school in Dublin but I'm from the country and the schools closest to my house don't take outsiders, but I managed to get a place in a school about 20 minutes away. Some principals are more than happy to take outside people, others seem to be offended at the thought and don't want extra work if the outside students want rechecks and their own students usually don't get them. I also wouldn't recommend asking at your old school if you have moved schools, it just seems a bit rude in my opinion, especially if you didn't leave on the greatest of terms.

I was just going to ask at my old school :eek: I didn't even think of it being seen as rude. They just happen to be the second nearest school to me.
    spurious wrote: »
    Sit it anywhere you want, but contact the SEC and make sure you're organised early, so that your school can make sure any practical work is in the other centre.
    Probably best to get your own school's Examinations secretary to do it all. They will have a pain in their face though if you start a number of people wanting the same.

Thanks :) I'll ask tomrrow (if the school if open). And I doubt I'm the only one asking, there are quite a few people from the country who will probably sit it close to their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I was in the same boat as you last year. It's completely at the discretion of school you want to sit it in. If you'd attended the school before they'd probably let you in.

If I remember correctly and you go to the Institute, a huge number of people do the same thing. The guidance counselor told me to look into it when I went for my first interview type thing for the place, so they're well used to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aoifums wrote: »
    I was just going to ask at my old school :eek: I didn't even think of it being seen as rude. They just happen to be the second nearest school to me.

Thanks :) I'll ask tomrrow (if the school if open). And I doubt I'm the only one asking, there are quite a few people from the country who will probably sit it close to their home.

Some schools/principals take offence to it.. i.e. you didn't think the school was good enough to get an education in but it's good enough for you to sit your exams in using it at your convenience. Not saying that's the way it is for you but that's the way some view it.

The other thing is (just guessing if you're in Dublin you might be in the Institute) that you might be taking minority subjects. This involves keeping an exam centre/school open on a day when no other students might be sitting an exam. So a principal has to come in and open up on a day when s/he might otherwise be off.
    Aoifums wrote: »

You won't be the only one it is common enough, you can just apply to sit it in another centre and nominate that centre on your form for the LC. The school can't do much if you are registered there, but it is common courtesy to ask rather than just turn up on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Plenty of people do this from Yeats College Galway. It's never really a big deal, doesnt affect your exam number either. But for those from the Institution or Yeats, just because you're sitting your exam in a different school does not mean that it will get corrected with the scripts from that school. They could get sorted back to your original school.

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Plenty of people do this from Yeats College Galway. It's never really a big deal, doesnt affect your exam number either. But for those from the Institution or Yeats, just because you're sitting your exam in a different school does not mean that it will get corrected with the scripts from that school. They could get sorted back to your original school.

That's not true. You scripts are kept with the exam centre you sit your exam in. THey are not sent anywhere else. They couldn't be,this would cause too much confusion and possibly cause scripts to be lost. Also some students don't have schools, as they are external candidates.

It doesn't matter anyway as all scripts are corrected the same, the examiner doesn't know where you are from.

If you go to view you scripts in September they will be returned to the centre where you sat the exam, not where you attended classes (if it is different).

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

My friend moved to the Institute for this year, and in her meeting with our principal to tell him that she was leaving, he invited her to sit the LC in our school. She accepted, but she now does Ag Science which isn't offered in our school, so she'll be the only one here; however I do Applied Maths (after school, but it is actually part of my school if that makes sense) and I'll also be the only person in on that day, so the school has no problem in opening!

That's not true. You scripts are kept with the exam centre you sit your exam in. THey are not sent anywhere else. They couldn't be,this would cause too much confusion and possibly cause scripts to be lost. Also some students don't have schools, as they are external candidates.

It doesn't matter anyway as all scripts are corrected the same, the examiner doesn't know where you are from.

If you go to view you scripts in September they will be returned to the centre where you sat the exam, not where you attended classes (if it is different).

No, I'm fairly sure it is true. I forget how I know though (in my defence its 2 in the morning)... Its makes a huge difference too to those from Yeats (not sure about the Institution) anyways, because a lot of people learn off the same stuff and reguritate it onto the page, and I know, it shouldnt make a difference to an examiner, but it does. If you're correcting 200 scripts of very similar stuff you're gonna mark it down!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not true. They do not root through bundles of scripts getting 'original' groups together.

What gets the regurgitated stuff marked down is that it does not answer the question (or only addresses one aspect of a question), which is almost always, as the addition of just one word in the question can make it an entirely different one and a learned-off answer is inflexible.

No, I'm fairly sure it is true. I forget how I know though (in my defence its 2 in the morning)... Its makes a huge difference too to those from Yeats (not sure about the Institution) anyways, because a lot of people learn off the same stuff and reguritate it onto the page, and I know, it shouldnt make a difference to an examiner, but it does. If you're correcting 200 scripts of very similar stuff you're gonna mark it down!

It's not true. I'm an examiner. I see plenty of bundles of exams every year with external candidate numbers mixed in with regular schools. One of my own LC students went to Yeats last year to sit her LC. She tried to get back into my school to sit her exams and the principal wouldn't let her. So she went to another local school. When I viewed her scripts with her in September we went to the school she sat the exams in, not my school and not Yeats.

And you can't mark it down, you mark according to the scheme. Everyone gets marked the same.

Get your facts straight before posting more nonsense like that above and scaremongering.

It's not true. I'm an examiner. I see plenty of bundles of exams every year with external candidate numbers mixed in with regular schools. One of my own LC students went to Yeats last year to sit her LC. She tried to get back into my school to sit her exams and the principal wouldn't let her. So she went to another local school. When I viewed her scripts with her in September we went to the school she sat the exams in, not my school and not Yeats.

And you can't mark it down, you mark according to the scheme. Everyone gets marked the same.

Get your facts straight before posting more nonsense like that above and scaremongering.

Ah now... so you're saying if you read 200 scripts of similar material you would mark the same 1 as the last?? Doubt it... And even if you did most wouldn't... Thats why so many students (from Yeats anyways) apply to a different school to sit their exam.

Ah now... so you're saying if you read 200 scripts of similar material you would mark the same 1 as the last?? Doubt it... And even if you did most wouldn't... Thats why so many students (from Yeats anyways) apply to a different school to sit their exam.

So you're claiming the exam system is not fair to all students. There is a marking scheme to be followed. Our work is checked by advising examiners to make sure it's done properly.

I correct science. If the answer is correct on the exam paper the student gets the marks. And I have read 200 scripts of similar material. I've corrected scripts from centres which are grinds schools. It was obvious from the length of the answers and their uniformity. However it's not my place to criticise 200 students for learning off the rapid revision book word for word. If they have the right answers written down they get the marks. It's that simple. Don't criticise what you don't know, or my marking abilities as you have done in the post above.

Most students apply to other centres other that Yeats because they are not from Galway and would prefer to be at home during their exams.

So you're claiming the exam system is not fair to all students. There is a marking scheme to be followed. Our work is checked by advising examiners to make sure it's done properly.

I correct science. If the answer is correct on the exam paper the student gets the marks. And I have read 200 scripts of similar material. I've corrected scripts from centres which are grinds schools. It was obvious from the length of the answers and their uniformity. However it's not my place to criticise 200 students for learning off the rapid revision book word for word. If they have the right answers written down they get the marks. It's that simple. Don't criticise what you don't know, or my marking abilities as you have done in the post above.

Most students apply to other centres other that Yeats because they are not from Galway and would prefer to be at home during their exams.

Its clearly not fair for obvious reasons. The only way it would be fair is if 1, unbiased, never tiring person corrected every single one in the country. Then we could talk fair. I do think its as fair as it can be though.
    And i'm obviously not talking about exams like science. I'm talking about subjects like english, irish and languages, and to an extent geography and history, where there would be pages upon pages of learnt off answers. And marking all that "fairly" as you put it would be wrong on your part. Should you not encourage creativity rather than brainless reguritating (excuse the spelling) from a text book?

Advertisement