Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neophyte PC builder, help!!

Options
  • 28-11-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello all,

My 1st. post, & my 1st build (gulp). I would really appreciate any suggestions,tips, warnings etc. anyone could offer.

Here's what I had in mind (all from hardwareversand.de)

CPU- core i5-760 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156

Mobo- Gigabyte GA-P55AUD4, intel p55, ATX, DDR3,PCI-express

GPU- His HD 5770 FAN GDDR5 1024Mb HDMI port D-DVI

PSU- Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze (430w)

HDD- Samsung spinpint F3, 1TB, SATA II HD 103 SJ

RAM- 4GB kit, Corsair DDR3 PC 1600 C9 classic

DVD- Samsung SH-223 C SATA

CASE- Fractal Design Define R3

CPU cooler- Scythe mugen-2

MISC- Arctic silver 5 polysynthetic thermal compound

Is there any hope this lot will live together happily ever after? Or will I be cursing unhappily into the hereafter:eek:

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AengusMB

I don't see anything immediately wrong with it, but i'm not hugely experienced either :P
    I'd maybe consider upping the PSU wattage in case you want to go crossfire or something in the future?

What would you be using the PC for mainly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Id avoid the 5770, because its getting a bit dated now. 6850 or GTX 460 is very good for their prices.

just a few questions before anyone can answer any of yours ;)

your budget?
    your monitor resolution?
    what are you going to be doing with your pc?

oh and welcome to the forums!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ruab

Thanks for the welcome,

PC will be for home entertainment, video watching and moderate gaming, probably not crossfire, anyway for a year or two.

The monitor I have now is a Dell E228 WFP Res. 1680x1050 60Hz, I may upgrade in the future, but again, not for a while.

Budget, I'd like to stay under the €1k mark.

Thanx.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd probably go for a 600W PSU to allow for adding hard drives and another gfx card (which would be a handy way of getting a big improvement for gaming). Like Tea_Bag, I'd steer clear of the 5770, it's cheap yes, but quite dated. 6850 or nVidia 460 would be a better "budget gaming" option.

Oh, that case looks *very* sexy, nice choice :)

Ok, good advice, I'll can the 5770 and go with one of your suggestions (looks as though I'll be drinking spring water for Christmas!)

Is there any particular make you'd recommend?

Yeah Fractal case does look good. The other option was the Antec P183, also really nice, but a bit of a behemoth.

Does anyone have a problem with the Scythe Mugen-2? I heard complaints about the mounting system-too little contact pressure on the CPU, on the other hand Benchmarkreview (I think) rated it the 3rd. best cooler after the ProlimaTech Megahalems and Thermalright Venomous-x, both of which are nearly twice the price! This is when I get befuddled :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I like your way of thinking..
    I`ve just ordered my new rig and the components are nearly all the same as yours..
    The only diff: is the psu , gfx card and cooler...I went a 750watt xilence modular jobby and a 6870 card and a noctua nh-d14 cooler...

Fingers crossed i will have it together in a few days..

All up it was just over a grand incl;delivery

for 1k, you can get yourself quite a beast of a PC, that'll last you years if you're a moderate gamer.

Id also go with the noctua nh-d14 cooler like dwighet.
    i wouldnt get a 750watt PSU, because its quite overspeced and a good 550w will do.
    i threw this together. with a 1k budget, id be annoyed if i couldnt throw in a boot SSD drive :)

neow.jpg

thats €890 delivered. you could get a better better GPU if you throw away the SSD and still stay under budget, but this is my personal preference, and what i'd do with a burning pocket.

EDIT: you also didnt say if you need an OS/keyboard/mouse etc?
    dont get a keyboard from HWVS, as it'll be a german layout :o

Wow,

I can't believe you guys have taken so much trouble to help me out. I sure as hell wouldn't get this kind of expert advice in a shop.

I got brain-ache on HWVS and didn't do half as much research as you. I'll seriously consider changing to your choices, I did think about the Noctua, could it be on the noisy side with 2 fans? And I'd love a SSD (was just waiting for them to get a little cheaper). I was kinda doubtfull about Super Flower, without actually researching them, just the name put me off, I know I know, pure idiocy:o

I will have to get an OS (unless I go with Ubuntu for a while?) Any thoughts on Win 7 vs. XP?

Thanks for the keyboard tip, I emailed them about that, also Fractal Design got back to me saying I'd have 165mm for a CPU cooler.

Once again, thanx, AengusMB, Tea Bag, Kharn and dwighet
    Much appreciated:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Windows 7 64 bit is probably the best OS for gaming right now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Win7 64 is 45 euro here if you're a student.

You'll need the 64bit version to recognize all your RAM just in case you're wondering.

• Advertisement

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Windows 7 64 bit is probably the best OS for gaming right now ;)
    are you a student, or do you know a student? it could be had as an upgrade version for €45, but apparently there are ways to install it without a hickup on a new HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

I got my nh-d14 with the rest of my kit in the post yesterday..
    put it all together and it was very quiet..well I didnt really get to push it too hard as the new psu decided to sh!t itself half an hour into installing the OS...
    But thats another story..

Heres a good reveiw on the cooler. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHRPJfZ5Y8

My trusty old PC must have sensed it's imminent replacement. . . . Mobo just crashed and burned. Sigh! So now I'm on a 7 yr. old laptop. I'm coming round to the Noctua way of thinking, and will prob go with Win 7 64 bit as you're all suggesting. Tea bag, is there a particular reason you like the Asrock Mobo?

Advertisement