Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Offaly people embarassed by Biffo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

No, I am not ashamed of the "BIFFO" being from Offaly. And should he be looking for a vote come the general election, he will have mine.

I'll tell you what I am ashamed of though. Being Irish in general. How any government is supposed to run a country when you have arsehole unions dictating unrealisitic terms, overpaid public sector arsehole in guaranteed jobs sulking, whining, crying, refusing to work because their wages are being cut.
    Low life scum who have been on the dole since our lord was a child, complaining that they cannot live on 200 euro per week.
    People assuming they're entitled to free homes/dole/medical care as if it's their god given right, when they have never taken any steps to ensure a good future for themselves. Other than getting pregnant. If the state stopped being a nanny state, and stopped holding peoples hands, we'd be getting on a lot better.

The dole should be there to help the poor unfortuantes who have lost their jobs and who are actively seeking new jobs. I don't understand why people are automatically entitled to it when they reach 18. They should go one better. Get rid of giving dole as cash, and start giving it as food stamps.

Newsflash: most of us contributed to this mess too. It isn't all the governments fault. We took out 100% morgages on houses we realistically could not afford. We changed our cars. We took extravagent holidays. We didn't complain when the government was handing out our hard earned cash to lazy scum who now assumes it's their entitlement to recieve free money.

We cannot just blame the government. Every one of us are at fault.

You are a quite, as a democracy we have only have ourselves to blame.

Time and time again we have voted in the very people that caved into the demands that you highlighted above.

Once again we are like the poor relation, cap in hand to Europe looking for a hand out and we don't have the Brits to blame this time.

Nothing changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Well if people were not embarassed by him up untill now,they surely must have doubts now.This man will leave a legacy not seen in this country's short lifetime ;of record levels of unemployment,the return of emigration not seen since the famine;an education system in rapid decline ;a health service that does not work and banks that have put us in a situation that will take two lifetimes to overturn ,and how anyone can say that this is not his fault is just not feasible anymore he is a let down to the people of LAOIS-OFFALY firstly and then a let down to the country that educated him, and the hero's in politics that he admires would not grant him the time of day .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

You are proud because he is from Offaly. If he was from Sligo would you still be so complementary of him? I think not.

Probably not in the same way, but the case in point is 'Are Offaly people embarrassed by Biffo?'
    Bertie isn't off the hook. Everyone thinks he's a gangster, he's not in the papers everyday because he is no longer taoiseach and hardly even shows up for the dail. But people have a very negative opinion of him these days.

not only is he still in the papers, he writes for one of the largest tabloids.
    Minister for Finance for 4 years and Taoiseach for 3. He has presided over several absolutely disastrous decisions. When it comes to politicians who hold the most responsibility for our present disaster the blame obviously rests with, in no particular order, Bertie, Cowen, Lenihan, McCreevey. Cowen deserves every criticism that is thrown at him.

My point is how come the rest are forgotten so easily. They all made mistakes and screwed us over. He just seems to take the brunt of it. Not the minister for finance that claimed he did not have a bank account at the time....
    Wake up call...nearly all politicians are 'sound' guys. Everyone used to think Bertie was a great guy altogether, real man of the people, same with George Bush. I have heard the same stuff you are saying there said about Lenihan by people who have met him. It is naive to be basing your opinion of a politician on how personable they are - its part of the job for them, they all want to give off the image of being nice people.

I mean genuinely sound. He was a family friend back before he was starting in politics and he is a sound person.
    Blah, blah, blah...with that logic you could say that Bertie, Haughey, George Bush, etc... deserve respect. Leaders deserve respect based on their actions, it shouldn't be automatically accorded to them.

I'd like to hear your opinions on Cowen denying the three by-elections. And his dinner with the Anglo head honchos back in 2008 where he says they never talked about Anglo...this despite Anglo being in freefall at the time. Do you believe him when he says they didn't talk about it? If you do, please tell me how competent you think he is if he didn't discuss Anglo when he was meeting the top men of the bank at a time when it was in crisis and had huge implications for the country.

I do not agree with everything cowen has done or actions he has taken. I do believe him when he says that any discussions or meetings with anglo members had no bearing on the decisions made.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Cowen is the worst Taoiseach in the history of this State. Even worse than Bertie.

He is a total disgrace and anyone who thinks he should be re-elected just because he's "one of us" is a parochial gombeen of the highest order. The sentiments on this thread supporting this idiot are depressingly predictable.

I'm counting down the days until FF are out of power. It can't happen a minute too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I resent being told that "everyone of us is at fault" ... I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Choochtown wrote: »

Dont take it so litterally

He is an embarrassment.

-he's only ever known cronyism in FF and is unwittingly a product of that
    -he was only "one of the lads" and never really a leader and only became leader because he was around for such a long time
    -he was asleep at the wheel when minister for finance
    -his only skills appear to be belligerence and being able to mimic golfers with speech issues -> not exactly qualities for a leader
    -he was born ugly but not fat - having someone so slovenly represent Ireland on the international stage is a disgrace

glasso wrote: »
    -he was born ugly but not fat - having someone so slovenly represent Ireland on the international stage is a disgrace

I met him and i think hes a nice man, i think he lost his fight over the years and i dont think he should be taoiseach, but the above reason is em classy:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Choochtown wrote: »
    I never lived beyond my means, that's why I could afford to buy my home last year at a fraction of the price it was during "the boom" and I'm not in debt with a mansion and landrover I should never had "brought"...like most people my age!

However, Irish people in general were living wildly beyond their means on borrowed money. I believe there are three main factors that contributed to this mess...the government...the banks&regulaters...and citizens. I think these people need to take responsibility for their own actions and not soley blame the government for what was ultimately their decision to "live" on money they never had in the first place.

It is a generalization. Not a personal attack on sensible people like yourself.
    However, we are all (literally) paying dearly:mad:

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I met him and i think hes a nice man, i think he lost his fight over the years and i dont think he should be taoiseach, but the above reason is em classy:rolleyes::rolleyes:

so it's ok for our Taoiseach to make fun of Philip Walton's speech issue for amusement of a group but I can't point out the fact that he (Clowen) is completey out of shape. Can't think of any Western leader with moobs the like of his - he was representing Ireland - should have gone for a few runs instead of knocking back such an amount of pints.

• Advertisement

I never said it was okay for him to do that. But i dont think bein skinny and good lookin is a requirement for bein the leader of a country. Thats just a stupid reason in fairness. Drinking? The mans a human being. This thread is gone stupid ages ago imo.

I wouldn't it hold it against him having a drink but have some self-respect to go with it. The rules on drinking change in any case when you are the figurehead of a country. Having your country's prime minister lampooned on Jay Leno for being hungover on radio after being on the the lock until nearly 4am the night before is unforgivable. Anyway all these arguments have been well aired already and Brian Cowen's unfortunate legacy is also pretty much set in stone. Just because you have met him and he's a nice guy is no excuse for how crap a job he did over the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

lets be honest hes from offaly, like myself so all for one one for all hes one of us so were gona support him!!if ye were from dublin,galway,limerick,sligo ,cork .....and the taoiseach was from yer county ye would stand by him so stop giving out.......get over it

glasso wrote: »
    Having your country's prime minister lampooned on Jay Leno for being hungover on radio after being on the the lock until nearly 4am the night before is unforgivable
    Jay Leno, thats his job ffs?? Get over it will ya, i never said what he did was ok, so i cant really see what your on about.
    Wait a sec, isnt Jay kinda fat?? WTF is he doing in the public eye:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

lets be honest hes from offaly, like myself so all for one one for all hes one of us so were gona support him!!if ye were from dublin,galway,limerick,sligo ,cork .....and the taoiseach was from yer county ye would stand by him so stop giving out.......get over it

I wouldn't support people like Bertie, Haughey, Cowen, Lenihan etc.. if they were from my constituency. But then I'm not a tribal redneck who votes for De Party because my granddad did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

This (and I'm attacking the post and not the poster) is an idiotic comment to make. I am from Dublin. And I don't care where a politician is from they should all be judged according to their actions not where they are from.

Bertie is was and is a joke. Cowen was and is a joke. Kenny is a joke. The vast majority are a joke.

The fact that someone would support an ineffective politician purely because of where they are from is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

yas are only just sayin they are jokes now because they have been and gone....there all jokes the whole lot of them doesnt matter whos in charge there all cronies

But then I'm not a tribal redneck who votes for De Party because my granddad did.
    cop on, there's no need for that

Funkfield wrote: »
    I don't care where a politician is from they should all be judged according to their actions not where they are from.

Bertie is was and is a joke. Cowen was and is a joke. Kenny is a joke. The vast majority are a joke.

The fact that someone would support an ineffective politician purely because of where they are from is disgraceful.
    +1
    I've got to agree with this. I vote based on a politicians merit, record and proposed policies.
    not where they're from

But then I'm not a tribal redneck who votes for De Party because my granddad did.
    reported there lad.
    oh and look up the definition of a redneck before ya call people names:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

reported there lad.
    oh and look up the definition of a redneck before ya call people names:rolleyes:.

Reported for what?? There is huge debate at the moment over the problem of parish pump politicians and how guys are getting voted in as TDs because they are good at getting potholes fixed. It is a fact that we have tons of tribal rednecks in this country who vote for certain politicians/parties solely because their parents/grandparents/great-grandparents. Some of my own relations are like this, its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Nah, that's a stupid, ignorant attitude.

magentas wrote: »
    cop on, there's no need for that

Nah, it's a valid point about tribal politics. It flies in the face of reason. 'He's from here so we vote for him' ignoring whether he's any good or not. It's a stupid ignorant attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Knock off the stereotypical, country people bashing. This is boards.ie, we're supposed to be better than that.

I grew up in a little bog (literally) on the outskirts of Tullamore, Co. Offaly. I challenge anyone to call me a redneck, though first I would challenge them to learn the meaning of the word.

That said, continue to be blatently abusive towards people from Offaly and I will be dishing out some infractions and/or bans. Long ones. As a rule, insulting the place and people that a forum is designed to cater to is an excellent route to getting permanently removed from the forum in question.

On a personal note, I do so enjoy these types of conversations regarding politics in Ireland. From the way everyone tells it, there was obviously a Coup d'état which put Fianna Fáil into government, because clearly nobody voted for them...

Ivan wrote: »
    Knock off the stereotypical, country people bashing. This is boards.ie, we're supposed to be better than that.

I grew up in a little bog (literally) on the outskirts of Tullamore, Co. Offaly. I challenge anyone to call me a redneck, though first I would challenge them to learn the meaning of the word.

That said, continue to be blatently abusive towards people from Offaly and I will be dishing out some infractions and/or bans. Long ones. As a rule, insulting the place and people that a forum is designed to cater to is an excellent route to getting permanently removed from the forum in question.

On a personal note, I do so enjoy these types of conversations regarding politics in Ireland. From the way everyone tells it, there was obviously a Coup d'état which put Fianna Fáil into government, because clearly nobody voted for them...

If you're responding to my post, I don't think I've ever been abusive about someone's origin or location, just their attitude.

I don't know why it's hard to believe that the majority of people who don't vote for Fianna Fail in the country are annoyed and vocal, and that many people who normally vote for Fianna Fail are too embarassed and demoralised by the shambles they've led the country into to speak up.

It's a far likelier possibility than people just deciding that they never voted for Fianna Fail.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Nah, it's a valid point about tribal politics. It flies in the face of reason. 'He's from here so we vote for him' ignoring whether he's any good or not. It's a stupid ignorant attitude.
    you're condoning verbal abuse so?
    this a regional, not political forum. this forum is for people with some association with Offaly, if you or gimme5mins want to get into a serious political debate on "parish pump" politics, I suggest you take it to the relevant forums.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1431
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1405

Are you from Offaly?
    If not, then you really have no place posting on this thread. May I remind of the thread title...
    ARE OFFALY PEOPLE EMBARRASSED BY BIFFO

If your only purpose here is to insult and belittle an entire county and it's people on their own designated forum designed to cater for people in this region, then I strongly suggest you take a hike as you are not contributing in a constructive manner and only serve to insult the people of Offaly

magentas wrote: »
    you're condoning verbal abuse so?
    this a regional, not political forum. this forum is for people with some association with Offaly, if you or gimme5mins want to get into a serious political debate on "parish pump" politics, I suggest you take it to the relevant forums.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1431
    or
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1405

Are you from Offaly?
    If not, then you really have no place posting on this thread. May I remind of the thread title...
    ARE OFFALY PEOPLE EMBARRASSED BY BIFFO

If your only purpose here is to insult and belittle an entire county and it's people on their own designated forum designed to cater for people in this region, then I strongly suggest you take a hike as you are not contributing in a constructive manner and only serve to insult the people of Offaly

I think I was already clear that I don't and wasn't insulting the entire county or people. I was clear that I was denigrating an attitude which has done nothing good for the country.

I didn't post the thread title, nor did I attack anyone from or outside Offaly who posted an opinion that wasn't at best, stupid. It's a stupid opinion from someone from Offaly, Dublin or Mars.

In fact, the post I responded to was a post from a person from Offaly saying we would all act the same were Cowen politician from our county, whereever it be, which was a gross leap by him, not me. He started with the accusations about people outside Offaly, and he was actually generalising about people within Offaly, who might have good reason for voting for Cowen. I was taking issue with him and his reasons, not you and your reasons, and not with Offaly as a whole and its reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Agree fully with Snakeblood.

It's frankly pathetic when people circle the wagons and read any criticism of their region or county as out of line insults. This in itself is a symptom of the tribalist, parochial mentality that has dogged and crippled this country since its foundation.

Being able to take criticism and argue it is a sign of maturity. Attacking a poster for "insulting" a county because they are critical of parish-pump tribalist politics is not.

Jay Leno, thats his job ffs?? Get over it will ya, i never said what he did was ok, so i cant really see what your on about.
    Wait a sec, isnt Jay kinda fat?? WTF is he doing in the public eye:rolleyes:

nah there is a difference - one is a joker, the other just a joke.
    in any case, in terms of flab - the moob cup size comparison between Leno and Cowen would be 32a versus 36dd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Slagging him off because he's a "redneck" or a "Biffo", dismissing him as being "a joke" or "too fat" is just as ignorant as people defending him because he's from the same county.

He should be judged solely on his performace which sadly was nowhere near good enough. That said the same can be said for his predecessor and most of his predecessors. I think Offaly people (and I am one) get defensive because the mud slinging is often of a personal nature, whereas Bertie, Haughey etc.. seem to be classed as "Boyo's" or "Cute Hoor's" Cowen is slandered in much more derogatory terms.
    I have no issue with people calling him to task over his performance either as Finance Minister or in the top job because frankly neither were good enough, the fact that he did a good turn for my da once doesn't alter that, nor would it make me vote for him.

Advertisement