Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help!

• 28-11-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I know that this is an unusual request but I really need your help Boards members.

There is a horse in the front garden of a derelict house on the Rahoon Road and it has not had food or water, apart from a bit of grass left in the garden (which has been frozen for the last few days) for weeks. The horse is situated on the Rahoon Road, opposite the Linen Supply of Ireland building and next to Rosan Glas estate. I am quite concerned about it as the horse just seems to have just been dropped off there. The horse is not very big and I'm worried about it with the recent bad weather. There are also four horses on wasteland across the road from this horse (next to the Linen Supply of Ireland building) who also seem to be neglected. Ponies/horses out in this kind of weather should really have a rug. I know this as I regularly check on them and try to give them apples and carrots.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could call the GSPCA 091-563631 and the Galway City Council (Housing Department) 091-536590 about these five horses ( and any other horses that you feel are neglected) as I have been emailing and calling for weeks now and nothing has been done to help this situation. I was in contact with the Dept. Agriculture and I was told that it is the City Councils job to deal with this and the more people that contact the council the better. I greatly appreciate your help with this! It’s going to be a long winter, please don’t let these animals starve or freeze to death.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Unfortunately there are literally going to be thousands of cases like this over the next 3 months :( There is no agency that will be able to cope with the numbers. The IHWT are already up to their eyes and the ones that will get factoried are the lucky ones! Have you any idea how to condition score a horse OP?

I would urge anyone that comes across these situations to at the very least check regularly if these animals have a decent water supply. The biggest danger to them is actually dehydration. Some horses and ponies don't need rugs where they have adequate shelter, a stabled horse that can't run around and seek out the warmest spots does, most people seem to think it's the other way round. Don't be tempted to feed horses you come across if you don't know how to properly condition score. I have one that literally gets fat on fresh air, and there are often reasons why some animals are kept in conditions that appear negligent to the untrained eye. This is for general information OP, not in your case as wasteland and someones front garden are certainly not adequate conditions for any equine to be kept in!

The reality is however that hundreds of equines in this country will not make it through the winter. :(

Advertisement