Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third/Fourth attempt to learn Electric Guitar

• 28-11-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭

Guys. I'm sure this topic has been mentioned a hundred time (although not recently it seems). I'm in my mid-thirties and am looking to learn to play the electric guitar. Electric because thats what I've got. I've had several beginner (beginner acoustic & electric) guitars in the past and have failed after varying timeframes (month to 3 months). I bought my current guitar about 18months ago and its a decent enough one (well it cost a few hundred for the guitar) I think.

I can't afford private/goup lessons for now so whats my best option to learn to play the electric guitar. So long as I have a structured plan I reckon I can dedicate the time. I've got a subscription to jamorama website from which I've downlaoded their lessons.

Where so you reckon I should begin. Assume I am pretty much a beginner as I doubt I remember too much from other failed attempts. Wherever I choose to start, I'd like it to be a clear path (at least for the first while), otherwise I'll just get bogged down trying to figure out what I should be doing and trying out too many different things and in the end I'll just lose focus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

In the absence of a teacher (which would really be your best bet when starting out), get yourself a good instruction book. I am sure someone else will recommend one. These books usually start with the basics and build gradually. Dont move on to a new exercise/lesson until you have mastered the current one. Once you get started, you will probably be surprised at how much information will come back, from your previous attempts to learn the guitar. The Internet can be a great source of tutorial information, but generally I find that the lessons are not structured and can be a bit haphazard. Above all, be patient with yourself, dont become frustrated, and make sure it is fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Cheers. Anyone recommnd a book ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTztfsJxCQ

learn this...it will take you 3-4 weeks but its the most important thing you'll ever learn.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTztfsJxCQ

learn this...it will take you 3-4 weeks but its the most important thing you'll ever learn.

Cool. Thanks for that. Looking also at the justinguitar course...http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Would it matter that my guitar is electric ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

brianon wrote: »
    Cool. Thanks for that. Looking also at the justinguitar course...http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

Would it matter that my guitar is electric ?

No does not matter about your guitar being electric. In fact I think Justin mentions some where early in the beginners course he recommends using
    electric to learn.

The justinguitar site has probably the most structured lessons you will find online, easy to follow for beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

To sum it all in a post of what a beginner should learn, well as someone who is self thought then

a) Learn your chords. Learn all major and minor chords for all the keys, a bonus is to know your E7, G7 A7 etc. Progress onto barre chords so you can play your chords up and down the fret

Learn how to strum with these chords and be able to change in and out with a rhythm. I remember the strum I started of was down down up, up down up.

Come up with your own strum patterns and work them out with your chords. As in the 12 bar blues youtube clip posted its a great start, learning simple songs with simple chords and then progressing to more complex chord progressions by introducing a minor chord or a seventh is a good path.

Learn with something you love whether its paul simon, oasis, or the pistols.

Make it relevant to yourself! Personally speaking don't waste your time learning stuff that is uninspiring as you'll just bin the guitar for the 4th/5th time.

b) Learn riffs; google, or youtube your favourite riffs and learn them good whether its Iron Man, purple Haze or I will follow. They all serve a purpose in so far as to master them for precision and timing will give you discipline, feel and touch

c) If you want to learn soloing then start with the pentatonic scale, Learn the concept of the root note and learn that every fret and string is a crosshairs that target a note that can be used, and reused in different positions. So for example learn the A minor pentatonic on the 5th fret\6 string box, find a further A root note on the 5th string on the 12th note and map out the 5 notes of the pentatonic. And do a lot of investigation into where the note lands. Learn how to string the notes together and how to interconnect the boxes, jam along to old blues\rock records and get a feel.

However soloing shouldn't stop at the pentatonic and learn more scales and the theory behind as you progress.

d)experiment, as you seem to favour the electric guitar the world is your oyster for getting effects and making sounds and tones that are unique to you

You have unlimited resources on the we bthat can teach you more and more. However a warning, learning guitar means hours of physical time spent on the guitar and no matter what you know theory wise iits no use without practice.

Stick with the practice and you should have a very rewarding hobby on your hand.

Wow. Thanks for that and thanks to all. Much appreciated. I get cracking :)

Advertisement