Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effexor to Ireven?

Options
  • 28-11-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'v been on Effexor 75 for the past year and was recently moved up to 150. I went to the chemist to top up my prescription when the pharmacist asked me if I wanted "Ireven" instead as its cheaper than the Effexor. I reluctently agreed after a number of questions such as possible side effects etc. I finished off my Effexor yesterday so whipped open the box of Ireven and took my stated dosage.

I googled the drug and not a whole lot of info came up. Just wondering if anyone has been taking Ireven and if so, have they had and problems etc?

Is this normal for a pharmacist to do something like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

I dont know about Ireven but pharmacists have to offer cheaper alternatives now. If you didnt what it you should have said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was prescribed effexor there for almost a year, I was offered a few alternative brand one of which was venoflaxine, i think thats the generic one. I have never heard of the brand which you mentioned.

However, I would check with your pharmacist to make sure that the meds are the same and have the same ingredients.

All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

If you went into hospital and stated you were on Effexor, there is a very good chance you would get Ireven. Venlafaxine is the drug name, and the same in both manufacturers capsules.

But if you aren't happy I am sure you could stick with Effexor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

metoo120 wrote: »
    I was prescribed effexor there for almost a year, I was offered a few alternative brand one of which was venoflaxine, i think thats the generic one. ...
    Venlafaxine is the 'active ingredient' in Efexor, Efexor XL and related drugs - http://www.imb.ie/EN/Medicines/HumanMedicines/HumanMedicinesListing.aspx?x=&page=1&query=efexor&tradename=&LicenceHolder=&LicenceNumber=&Active=&LegalStatus=&SupplyLegalStatus=&OrderBy=name&OrderAscending=True&Auth=AUTHORISED&WithdrawDate=ALL&Species=&ATC=&Ther=&Advanced=no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Ireven (Teva) and Effexor (Pfizer) are the same drug, just different maunfacturers. As correctly stated they both contain the same active compound; venlafaxine. As a point of note, you mentioned your dose has gone up, so if you do experience any side effects it may be due to the increased dose; as opposed to changing brand. Just something to bear in mind. Talk to your pharmacist or GP should you experience any difficulties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement