Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC DNS QUESTIONS

• 28-11-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Ok im having issues now for a long time with upc regarding gmaing and using xbox live, upc are perfect when im downloading movies or music really fast speeds however when im online using xbox live i find it to be laggy most of the time, would changing the dns to google dns help with this or am i way off the ball park here

ping test show ordinary results but nothing to suggest the amount of lag im getting

29077405.png

Any idea's on what to do ?

Comments

UPC don't allow you to change the DNS ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

luckyfrank wrote: »
    ....when im online using xbox live i find it to be laggy most of the time, would changing the dns to google dns help with this or am i way off the ball park here

Firstly, pings to Speedtest.net aren't going to tell you a whole lot. You'd need to be pinging (or better still tracerouting) to whatever servers you're experiencing the lag with. Traceroute will show you at what part of the path the lags are occurring. Use 'tracert' at the command line or if you prefer a GUI then download WinMTR.

UPC have poor connectivity to a lot of Irish providers so often traffic has to travel a lot further than with other ISP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

UPC don't allow you to change the DNS ;)
    UPC can't stop you changing your DNS, what are you trying to say exactly?

i've been with UPC for 2 years and have never used their DNS servers.

you might not be able to change the DNS settings on the cisco EPC2425 (or you might, i have no idea as i don't have one) but that doesn't mean you can't change the DNS settings on your PC's and consoles manually.

i have my DNS set up just how i want it, but for some reason with those settings my PS3 wouldn't connect to the PSN so i manually changed the DNS settings on just my PS3 to use different DNS servers and it was fine after that.

the bottom line is, if you don't like UPC's DNS servers then don't use them. find another DNS provider that works for you and switch, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

on the cisco router you cannot change the set DNS, it always default back to the UPC dns and will not save any changes. assuming client dns changes are respected (never bothered to verify, but as i don't get to the upc dns/search page for a misttyped url assuming the client set dns is being used).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Funny enough I appear to be having UPC DNS problems tonight (not working). Had to switch to Open DNS 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220

Working grand now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

lpw wrote: »
    on the cisco router you cannot change the set DNS, it always default back to the UPC dns and will not save any changes. assuming client dns changes are respected (never bothered to verify, but as i don't get to the upc dns/search page for a misttyped url assuming the client set dns is being used).
    client DNS settings will take precedence over router DNS, so you can easily override UPC's DNS settings any time by manually putting them in on your pc/console.

Advertisement