Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information on a practical/relevant degree in food

Options
  • 28-11-2010 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    Im new to this site and i've probably posted this in the wrong section so my apoligies if i have.
    Anyways my query is the following:
    I am a 20 yr old student in my 3rd year of a 4 year degree of Civil Engineering but im also working part time as a chef in a restaurant.
    With the currrent state of the economy i am considering doing another course in relation to cooking after i finish my degree.
    I have been working in the (smallish) restauraunt (only 6 chefs) and am able to do the majority of the tasks that the other chefs carry out including service, prep, making soups sauces etc.. So i feel i have a relatively good grasp of the practical side.
    And i was just wondering would anyone recommend a course maybe 1-2 years relevant to my situation?
    Ilb be very grateful with any feedback
    thanks!:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Moved to Cooking & Recipes. I think there's a few professionals in here who might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cdjockey33 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im new to this site and i've probably posted this in the wrong section so my apoligies if i have.
    Anyways my query is the following:
    I am a 20 yr old student in my 3rd year of a 4 year degree of Civil Engineering but im also working part time as a chef in a restaurant.
    With the currrent state of the economy i am considering doing another course in relation to cooking after i finish my degree.
    I have been working in the (smallish) restauraunt (only 6 chefs) and am able to do the majority of the tasks that the other chefs carry out including service, prep, making soups sauces etc.. So i feel i have a relatively good grasp of the practical side.
    And i was just wondering would anyone recommend a course maybe 1-2 years relevant to my situation?
    Ilb be very grateful with any feedback
    thanks!:)

You can do day release culinary arts higher cert or degree courses in any of AIT, DIT, GMIT, CIT and a few others around the country. Run in those colleges and acredited by failte ireland, would be perfect for you as you could continue to work (to pay bills) and get your education at the same time.

You will learn the stuff they don't have time to teach in a restraunt environment.

Worth looking into.

Advertisement