Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going abroad to learn.

• 28-11-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭

Has anyone ever gone abroad to learn any martial art while learning a language?

I was considering going to China for a year or so to learn Shaolin Kung Fu. I came across, what looks like a really good place for it. I'm very weary about whether or not it's genuine.. http://www.yantaikungfu.com/index.htm

Any words of wisdom would be really appreciated.

And if anyone has had experience with any martial art abroad, please give me your opinions and thoughts and where you went etc etc.

Many thanks,
    Libertewhite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I have contacts on Wudang Shan who teach the real deal, not wushu dancing.
    PM me if that's what you're looking for, and that's somewhere you want to be... i.e. Wudang Shan is remote, NW Hubei provence.
    there's plenty of info on Wudang's history on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

I spent a year training full time in France.... and also drove around Europe with a 6th dan to his seminars. I went with enough french to order a medium steak.
    Unlike what you're planning to do, I knew exactly why I was going, where I was going and who I'd be traveling and training with... so I can't really give you any advice.

It was an fantastic experience, it was extremely tough at times though, but I guess I trained 1500 hours + and came back fit as a flea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I have been doing a bit of judo in Japanese in the last while, its been going ok! A great experience to meet people and have a bit of the ol intercultural communication. But the training has been nothing very technical or new, easy training that you could do without any speaking. I have been learning Japanese for a while, but am nowhere near competent enough to understand instructions..

So while it would definitely be an amazing experience to go to China and learn kung fu.. it might be a bit impossible?! Do you speak Chinese already? And of all the languages to pick to learn, woah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

just go to thailand and do thai boxing for a few months for cheap. if you're lucky you may even come back with a sti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Moved to Japan (see location). Partly because of training, but that's not the main reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement