Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Just started snowing lightly in Firhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No real signs of thaw Tallaght and crappy thermometer* is reading -2.1, could get a bit more snow if the cloud makes it's way over here. :)

Weather app I have says Dublin down as, "Heavy snow showers are possible tonight with significant accumulations."
    Potential there, alright.

*GPS supported thermometer on my phone.

Edit: 13:53 and it's snowing lightly in Old Bawn, Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

:rolleyes: Excuse me for butting in but am I the only one who has noticed that the temp at Dublin Airport has shot up to +2c. That would mean rain wouldn't it?

The dew point temp is more important. If the dp is zero or below then you usually get snow even if the air temp is 2 or 3 degrees. If it is above 0 that usually means rain. Looking at the Irish Weather Network map, most stations in Dublin area seem to have DP at zero or below but a couple are positive.

Also worth remembering that Met Eireann is forecasting the heavy snow overnight and tomorrow, not now. Upper air temps are forecast to get colder by this time tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 dmac1989

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing!:mad:

Careful now!

Im worried now Darkman and Weathercheck... will it rain or snow in Dublin?
    :D:D:D
    Also when are those 10 inches/cms due to hit, I cant see much on the radars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Light snow just started in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

I must be in the wrong part of clontarf. No snow here :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Snowman81

Weathercheck if you don't mind be asking, do you think that Maynooth/ Kilcock would see some snow this evening/tonight/tomorrow. Were about 25 miles from the coast? 8inch of snow would be sooooooooo cool!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Light Graupel/Rain (Mostly rainy crap) falling, just stopped. Its simply too warm. M2 Buoy has dew point way over 1c and temp here is probably 3c-4c

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

10 inches of snow and the city will grind to a halt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Radio 1 forecast was sick 8inch-10inches of snow in Dublin:eek::eek::eek:

I hope ta foook they are right:D

Sleety stuff still here now.

Kinda thinking it won't happen.

Its the sleety stuff that could ruin it because it will make the snow on ground really wet and wash half of it away thats what happened here 30mins ago iHOPE we dont see any precipitation for a fews hours (never thought i would say that:)) so the snow can freeze a bit so maybe it will stick *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

I wouldn’t worry too much about temps rising now as they are due to drop off later and that is when the real fun is forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Sleety rain in Malahide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jake1 wrote: »

Hopefully 5 minutes after I get home from work this evening.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

adox wrote: »
    Snow just starting to fall lightly here in Blanch.
    not on this side as yet!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Jake1 wrote: »
    Im worried now Darkman and Weathercheck... will it rain or snow in Dublin?
    :D:D:D

The warning is for "Heavy snowfalls expected tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night". There is no forecast for heavy snow until tonight when conditions obviously are not going to be the same as they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

What little snow was falling at the Red Cow has ceased and the sun is back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrbright

Will it snow in Dublin tonight? I hope not it will take hours to get home....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The dew point temp is more important. If the dp is zero or below then you usually get snow even if the air temp is 2 or 3 degrees. If it is above 0 that usually means rain. Looking at the Irish Weather Network map, most stations in Dublin area seem to have DP at zero or below but a couple are positive.

Also worth remembering that Met Eireann is forecasting the heavy snow overnight and tomorrow, not now. Upper air temps are forecast to get colder by this time tomorrow.
    m2 bouy 5.7/1.8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    cm not inches
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OH MY GOOOOOOD!!!!!! AAAAARRRGHHHHH!!!:mad::mad: When are we getting snow???!!!!!!!!!!.......................

...........sorry rant over:o

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Blue skies here in Naas atm, bit of a thaw going on but its still -1. Keep the Firhouse\Knocklyon reports coming in!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I seem to recall MT saying the temps would rise slightly around this time before the siberian cold took over. So far he looks to be on track

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

More cloud moving in over Blackrock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

any1 got a link for the green sat24.com animated map for the uk and ireland:)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

1cm of snow and the city will grind to a halt...

Fixed that for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Agree with Weathercheck, (albeit I am reporting from city centre) if this can so readily change to rain then I wouldn't fancy much in the line of 8 inches of snow in Dublin. The alert really should have reduced those amounts firstly, except for the highest ground along the east coast. Secondly there's one airmass arriving over the east coast which is a bit warmer and this will only last until tomorrow morning. The 30-hour warning they issued should have been split into two different warnings about pre 10am tomorrow and post 10am tomorrow weather.

I suggest that people don't get carried away with their hopes for snow today in Dublin city and surrounding low-lying areas. There's tomorrow to look forward to;)

Snow tonight, most excellent, gives me time to stick on a coddle !!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

small snow in merrion square, d2 - huge flakes but it is not sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

10 inches in Wicklow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement