Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Heavy sleet shower at O2 arena now but easing off. My temp app on iPhone shows temp went from 3-0oc in 20 mins.

I'm 7 months pregnant so really don't want this icy/snowy weather. Sorry to be a baa humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

Wibbler wrote: »

thanks wibbler;) had the link few days ago but forgot to bookmark it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Heavier and more snowy in d15 now. It had stopped momentarily.

edit - big flakes again now. Not sure about stickiness..we still had a lot of lying snow around, so hard to say if it's adding to it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hmm that rainy sleet has turned to sleet/snow here in Ballsbridge.
    I can report a "downpour" of wet snow now, it's really picked up in the last 5 minutes and it's making brave attempts to stick, aided by the fact the ground is very cold.

This make VERY DANGEROUS walking conditions in the city centre, i urge people to watch where they walk and try to avoid the slush, as there's probably ice below it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chapel976

We're just not accustomed to snow, it's such a rare event. Snow tyres would be an expense that most households just cannot accomodate for a one/twice a year event. In fairness our government has fooked up this country enough - without spending what little we have left on grit, whilst the elderly are left in hospital corridors on a trolley. Although judging by the past 3 winters we may have to start thinking about seriously changing the way we do things!

I was gonna say, you guys have been getting quite a bit of snow lately from what I've seen
    while not the same level we see, snow tires would be a sound investment... or at least some All-seasons rated for snow and ice.

I used to do ice racing a long time ago and it's a sound investment. Better than writing off the car in a ditch or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

adox wrote: »
    And its coming down here again in Ballycoolin.

waiting here after your report now, lol....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Big fluffy flakes on the Dublin North Quays, very dark sky

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Sleety snow coming down heavily in Dublin 8 now. It isn't sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

These are meants to be the business...

http://www.micksgarage.ie/tyre-snow-socks.aspx

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light snow here now. 2.1c DP 1.1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

glossy wrote: »
    waiting here after your report now, lol....

Give it five.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Heavy snow at Grand Canal Square

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Really coming down now in Ranelagh....wahoo! Seems to be sticking about 3 inches in the back garden now including what fell over the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Blizzard in Sandyford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Some biggish, slow flakes falling in Stepaside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

What do you guys think the chances are for west Wicklow, or is this 10cm forcast just for the coastal areas?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

bucketing down snow in Rathfarnham as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

big flakes back in balycoolin D 15

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

These are meants to be the business...

http://www.micksgarage.ie/tyre-snow-socks.aspx

Have a set of these on way. Ordered Saturday. Will report back how they go if there is an opportunity to test in Kilcullen. Have a set of Toyo proxies and they are USELESS for grip in snow/ice.

Back to the weather all clear in D1 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Snow has stopped in Drumcondra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

the dublin folk seems to be getting good showers at the moment its like the Bahamas in north wexford at the moment with the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Shower just started in the Dun Laoghaire area some decent sized flakes seems to be slowing down now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

chapel976 wrote: »
    I was gonna say, you guys have been getting quite a bit of snow lately from what I've seen
    while not the same level we see, snow tires would be a sound investment... or at least some All-seasons rated for snow and ice.
    It's actually not all that bad. Regional roads tend to stay slippy for a while, but the majority of main roads are clear and driveable after a day or two. Statistics from our snowfall in January showed that the roads were safer than ever because people were either driving less or not driving at all, and overall people were driving more slowly. It's a benefit of living in a small country that we can survive for a week or more without using our cars or by only making short trips and doing everything else by foot - going down to the shops, going to the pub, etc.

I think snow tyres would be overkill in this country unless you drive for a living.

These guys:
    http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm

Have been getting good press in this country because they offer a good solution for short trips over the short-term without having to buy or change tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

was snowing pretty heavily in mulhuddart earlier, but it didn't really settle and it's coming down as light snow/sleet now. not sure if its going to be sticking around, it doesn't looks like it at the moment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Gerry murphy just on RTE there and he seemed confident about the snow, he wasn't on about his usual ''wintry precipitation''

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LID

Chucking it down now in Crumlin!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

ah omg its snowing again here lol i dont want it to snow yet i want ground to dry from thawing but its not getting a chance its like it happening of purpose of something we got little snow since friday with maybe 5 clouds over us a day now that the day is a bit over freezing there is loads of precipitation:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

showers should die in next half hour, watch the temp plummet afterwards, might make for very tricky driving after dark! carefull out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Snow was bucketing down in Grand Canal area at Ballsbridge up until 5 minutes ago. Canal frozen over in places with Snow collecting on it. Gorgeous!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement