Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Is the dart running ok? Work tomorrow.
    :(. Looks like is going to snow here in Bray,the sky has that yellow tint

Edit:snowing!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

beatrice33 wrote: »
    Is the dart running ok? Work tomorrow.
    :(. Looks like is going to snow here in Bray,the sky has that yellow tint

Dart services are running as per usual currently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All trains said they'll be unaffected.

Currently clear skies, -2, DP -2.2 in Athlone. And I'm in work with no heating :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hasnt snowed here in an hour now with snow showers going all around me. Thaw seems to have eased tho so temp must be going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

Blizzard in Sandyford

doesnt a blizzard involve having some wind? its dead still!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

Coming down heavy again in Sandyford. Roads were just gritted, as the chaps drove away it started pelting down again. Can't see the grit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Just heard a weather warning on the radio, they said 10 inches of snow for wicklow over the next 48hours? that cant be right can it?
    Nice sunny afternoon here at the moment

1.9c and dp-6.5 at the moment here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Lashing snow at the Red Cow!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Not looking forward to the drive home this evening. Hoping the boss will let us leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Fairly chucking it down here now,some of it seems to be beginning to stick and temp has dropped back to 0c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

nice and steady in goatstown

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Gorgeous big flakes here in Blanch. Looks to be sticking too. The business across the road from me had their complete car park cleared from snow a few hours ago and now it's covered in white again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

lord lucan wrote: »
    Fairly chucking it down here now,some of it seems to be beginning to stick and temp has dropped back to 0c.

Was still belting down in Clondalkin just before I got in the shower (which was amazng btw in this cold weather)
    Just out of the shower and still bucketing down!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

LostChild wrote: »
    Coming down heavy again in Sandyford. Roads were just gritted, as the chaps drove away it started pelting down again. Can't see the grit now.

i am in sandyford and the roads are clear - snow is not sticking to them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Still going in D15. Settling now most of the 'thawed' areas, except for the roofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Bugger off Snow!

I have to drive to Dublin from Cork on Thursday!

I am NOT missing The National.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Sleet a small while ago in Malahide, right by the coast, snow melting slowly.

This better get put right after dark!!
    Bugger off Snow!

I have to drive to Dublin from Cork on Thursday!

I am NOT missing The National.

*cough* your signature is very apt with a statement like that in this forum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LouiseD3

Coming down heavy now in tallaght!! Very dark skies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

little bit of thaw in south Wexford earlier snowing now again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dorsetlily

Any reports of snow in Kildare ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

3-hour forecast shows the start of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Pouring snow here in Tallaght, Sky completely dark roads outside white already had no thaw today and whats falling is sticking, and did i hear Gerry say 10 inches tonight, my woman will be very happy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

seamus wrote: »
    It's actually not all that bad. Regional roads tend to stay slippy for a while, but the majority of main roads are clear and driveable after a day or two. Statistics from our snowfall in January showed that the roads were safer than ever because people were either driving less or not driving at all, and overall people were driving more slowly. It's a benefit of living in a small country that we can survive for a week or more without using our cars or by only making short trips and doing everything else by foot - going down to the shops, going to the pub, etc.

I think snow tyres would be overkill in this country unless you drive for a living.

These guys:
    http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm

Have been getting good press in this country because they offer a good solution for short trips over the short-term without having to buy or change tyres.
    I was actually about to post about how my mum was unable to drive up the road to her house because of ice on the steepest part of the road. A couple of neighbours had to give the car a push while not slipping on the fresh snow themselves and the car was eventually moved. This is in Co. Louth, within a mile or so of a motorway.

Now the snow chains solution is appropriate too, but I get the impression that they'll look "silly" to be used in Ireland and many people who should use them won't bother. All-weather tyres would look better and less noticeable. (read: noisy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jedishelly

Just started snowing quite heavily in Greystones. Sky is a solid mass of dark grey clouds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

sdonn wrote: »
    Sleet a small while ago in Malahide, right by the coast, snow melting slowly.

This better get put right after dark!!

*cough* your signature is very apt with a statement like that in this forum :pac:

Temperatures are actually going to rise after dark so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

premiercad wrote: »
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-rain.gif

3-hour forecast shows the start of the system

Is that 'the system'? I wasn't sure if it was due that early...it's supposed to be hanging around early tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

very heavy snow in Firhouse now and it's sticking to everything. Visibility is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Temp in Tallaght has dropped from 0c to -2 in 18 minutes. If tonight happens it will be epic, i barely remember the snow of 81 up here in Tallaght, will this be something along the same lines.

Visability in Snow atm is 30 yards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Clear again over Blackrock now. Temps should start falling fairly rapidly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 LostChild

inabina wrote: »
    i am in sandyford and the roads are clear - snow is not sticking to them yet.

In Aikens Village it is sticking, main road looks fine but the grit in the estate is covered by snow now. Been coming down heavy here for 20 mins or so. Tomorrow morning it will be treacherous in the estate if what's predicted happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement