Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

4Sheets wrote: »
    Id say they meant 10cm :)

The warning on met.ie says 15-25cm for Wicklow - i.e. 6 to 10 inches. I guess that's where the 10 inches came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Moderately Heavy Snow in Bray Seafront area for the last few minutes (15:34). Humongous fluffy flakes!!

Does this fact have any bearing on the marginality for tonight that the boards experts keep talking about? Are the Met right this time for ramping and the boardsies wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

eskimocat wrote: »
    ah, so badly wishing for a massive snowfall in these here parts :(

( Naturally this comes with the understanding that: 1. the oil tank is full, 2. the fridge & freezer full, 3.the cats in, 4.the hubbys home, 5. my wellys are in the house not the shed, 6. there is plenty bird seed stocked and ready, 7. all the old, infrim and homeless that live around here are all warm, safe and sound, 8. that work is cancelled, 9. the roads are closed, and last but not least 10. snowman building becomes mandatory! :D

Send it down to us in Galway when your done. And thanks for reminding me to get the wellies out of the shed!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

I checked it is 10" !

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

No they said inches, certain of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

10 Inches is right for Wicklow

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Blue skies in Blanch now!

But grey off to the east :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sleety now in D 15 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What're the chances of snow for North Cork tonight? As in out near the Kerry border.

I hope it stays away til Wednesday :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Darkman2 and Weather Check,

Are you saying Met Eireann have call the weather forecast for tonight in Dublin wrong? Just wondering as if its not going to lash snow and I can leave my work stuff in work instead of trucking on my back on ice in the city.

Within definately 15 or 20 miles of the coast yes (could be wrong but unlikely!) id be fairly comfortable saying nothing spectacular is going to happen and that mostly rain/sleet should fall. Obviously go if your up 200 or more metres it could be different. But with positive dew points and temperatures above freezing tonight in coastal counties the thaw is will definately continue and there will be less snow and more rain/sleet. Only temporary though - very cold air kicks in tomorrow afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Big streamers coming in from the Irish sea http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Anyone know what temp it is in Dublin city center now please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My word Gerry Murphy has come out of his anit snow box, he must of been getting presenting tips from the eagle all week, he was actually enthuastic about the spell and even had a little laugh ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

As long as no-one christens this event "Snowmaggedon" or something just as Hollywood it will have a chance of coming to pass.
    Tiny spits of snow just started in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    EDIT** just peped up on 15:15 radar

Kind of came out of nowhere, didn't it? :) Will be interesting to see what happens with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

darkman2 wrote: »
    Within definately 15 or 20 miles of the coast yes (could be wrong but unlikely!) id be fairly comfortable saying nothing spectacular is going to happen and that mostly rain/sleet should fall. Obviously go if your up 200 or more metres it could be different. But with positive dew points and temperatures above freezing tonight in coastal counties the thaw is will definately continue and there will be less snow and more rain/sleet. Only temporary though - very cold air kicks in tomorrow afternoon.

Are you expecting temperatures to rise tonight? At the moment its.-0.9c here and dewpoint is -6.3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    As long as no-one christens this event "Snowmaggedon" or something just as Hollywood it will have a chance of coming to pass.
    Tiny spits of snow just started in Naas.

Keep me posted about that, im stuck in work right on the Dublin coast !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

round 2 on the way, should hit dublin, looks quite heavy

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

LookingFor wrote: »
    Kind of came out of nowhere, didn't it? :) Will be interesting to see what happens with it.

Have a look on http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ 3 big nasty looking bits.

Anyone got the Dublin temp please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

patneve2 wrote: »
    round 2 on the way, should hit dublin, looks quite heavy

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Can see it in the distance, approaching fast. I just HOPE its not rain/sleet....!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

M2 Dew point is .2 ! Is that consistent with Snow on East Coast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Can see it in the distance, approaching fast. I just HOPE its not rain/sleet....!

Its gonna miss N. side I think :/

I suppose darkman is forecasting rain/sleet because of the E/NE winds getting stronger and blowing milder temps onshore! To be honest I think he is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Something brewing ENE

94285012.jpg

Visible here too on run but not much on radar.
    http://www.sat24.com/gb

Dam u got ther first! ha

irishdub14 wrote: »

yep me too, lovely cb clouds:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Looks like a heavy one this time. Should be hitting where I am in the city centre in about 30 mins by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

But with positive dew points and temperatures above freezing tonight in coastal counties the thaw is will definately continue and there will be less snow and more rain/sleet.

Could you explain where you're getting the continuing rise in temps/DP's? I've just checked IWN and most of the stations report drops in both temperatures and dew points in the last while. The charts also seem to show the temps dropping below 0 in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Stopped for the moment in Lucan,blue skies starting to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

And snowing again in Maynooth, big cotton wool flakes this time! Visibility pretty poor from our apartment, Tesco has vanished!

Not a great pic, just from phone

19c7e7f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Its gonna miss N. side I think :/

Think it should clip the northside :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No it's not right. Rain/sleet tonight - maybe some snow early tomorrow morning in Dublin.

I think you should clarify that is your opinion and not that of Met Eireann. The poster is asking if the report on the radio is true. Just because you disagree with it does not change the fact that Met Eireann have a weather warning for heavy snow tonight and tomorrow for Dublin.

:mad: We are talking about a situation that could lead to accidents and disruption and I think if it very important that if someone is asking if something they heard of the radio is true or not that they should know what Met Eireann are saying rather than just our ametur forecasts.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

Weather Warning

Issued at 29 November 2010 - 11:40
    WEATHER ADVISORY
    Heavy snowfalls expected tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night in east Leinster with accumulations of 5-10cm of snow in inland locations and 10-20cm in Counties Louth and Dublin and 15-25cm in County Wicklow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement