Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Not a flake in Dun Laoghaire !!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Nodferatu wrote: »
    any tips for driving in this icy weather? i just got my full liscence so im on ly on the road a few months driving and have no experience driving in snow/frost/ice etc etc, it may sound like a stupid question but im just inexperienced and very nervous going back to work tomorrow i was out sick for few days. so any advise id appreciate

Leave your car at home, if possible, and take public transport. Failing that, stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Things could be changing by the second???
    Nah, it came and went without sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Captain Pillowcase

snowing in dub 12!!! We got a good bit earlier and it stuck a fair bit, now this!!! Hoping for a winter wonderland tomorrow even though it means a not so nice walk to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

any tips for driving in this icy weather? i just got my full liscence so im on ly on the road a few months driving and have no experience driving in snow/frost/ice etc etc, it may sound like a stupid question but im just inexperienced and very nervous going back to work tomorrow i was out sick for few days. so any advise id appreciate

Just take it very slowely, your in no rush and it doesnt matter if there are drivers around you that want to drive faster - they can drive around you if thats the case.

Stay in low gears and take your time. Both are key, do that and you ll have no problem at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

just a few flakes a minute ago here in arklow but nothnig since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Calibos wrote: »
    This is just mad. How can it be rain at one coastal location and snow at another only a few miles up the road.

Well where I am is pissing distance from Wicklow Head - so right on the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

It's hard to drive on snow and ice. Just drive slow. You have to be confidant, if you're not then don't go out. Never risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Leave loads of time to brake and if your wheels spin dont rev the engine, keep the revs low...if you get stuck try takin off in second gear real slow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Not a flake in Lucan since about 3.30.

• Advertisement

Heyes wrote: »
    Just take it very slowely, your in no rush and it doesnt matter if there are drivers around you that want to drive faster - they can drive around you if thats the case.

Stay in low gears and take your time. Both are key, do that and you ll have no problem at all :)

Low gears? Stay in high gears and control your speed.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

PLENTY of snow here in Rathfarnham!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Just a mile out side wicklow town and we have a good coving in the last hour and there is no sign of it stopping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Keep in a low gear as much as possible. Keep off the gas and dont brake hard. If you need to brake then do it slowly and give yourself plenty of room to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Plenty of snow still around :)

Radar10.png

Saganist wrote: »
    Keep in a low gear as much as possible. Keep off the gas and dont brake hard. If you need to brake then do it slowly and give yourself plenty of room to stop.

You should be in low gears going downhill, high gears when possible. Low gears = more revs = more skidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nice fat flakes of snow now here too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

nothing here, may be one or two flakes now and again

hate this waiting,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

John2009 wrote: »
    Plenty of snow still around :)

Radar10.png

Always happy when Naas is covered !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Steady thaw on here now and doesn't feel that cold outside.

Dripping picking up intensity and snow turning to slush.

• Advertisement

How is there a thaw when temperatures are dropping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Man...looking at that radar, I'm literally just on the edge of the southern showers...damn that Isle of Man shadow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

You keep mentioning thaw through out the day ! Not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

very heavy in ashford now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Snowing now in South Meath, this time it looks like it wants to stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Heyes wrote: »

No, don't listen to this! Drive in a high gear. The wheels don't spin as much. Take off in second gear if you can. If not, then move into 2nd gear as soon as you move and keep moving up gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Calibos wrote: »
    This is just mad. How can it be rain at one coastal location and snow at another only a few miles up the road. Roads and paths all white again here in Bray Seafront. I presume this bodes well for us here in Bray in terms of any showers overnight even before the main event tomorrow.

Bray seems to have been in the bullseye for every stream since Friday and seems to have also been in the bullseye of temperature variences. ie. localise temp and DP at Bray is just right for snowfall while a few miles up the road in Dun Laoghaire or a few miles down the road in Wicklow its falling as rain.

A perfect storm for Bray these last few days. Makes a change. IIRC its been 23 years since Bray had more than a 1 day snow event. ie 1 full day of lying snow. A fair few 'Snows one night, lies on the ground for a day and the kids have a few snowball fights with the 1inch, gone the next day" Even last years big freeze was icy roads and paths for weeks but 1-2inch of lying snow for a day which rapidly became ice again. Whereas a lot of other areas had 5 or 6inches lying for up to 2 weeks.

1987' was the last year Bray had more than an inch or two that lay on the ground for a few days.

Yep it's the most snow i've ever seen here anyway (born after 87;)) which is fairly poor at a measly 5cm, but still i'm not complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Would love some snow while watching El Classico in 3d ! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement