Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

glossy wrote: »
    nothing here, may be one or two flakes now and again

hate this waiting,,,,

I know the feeling :) I think we have hours to go yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Cell south of killiney and drogheda area
    weather heading south of skerries coming from north

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Not wrote: »
    Snowing now in South Meath, this time it looks like it wants to stick.

Whereabouts in south Meath are you? Nothing happening in Dunshaughlin :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Steady thaw on here now and doesn't feel that cold outside.

Dripping picking up intensity and snow turning to slush.

There was a lot of thawing here for a while as well, snow falling off trees every few seconds. It stopped again around 3pm though with everything freezing though.

Is it above 0 where you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

You should be in low gears going downhill, high gears when possible. Low gears = more revs = more skidding.

I did say to keep off the gas. There's nothing wrong keeping it in a low gear as long as you stay slow and dont give it gas.

I just drove home from town in 2nd and didnt get above 10 or 15k id say..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The hail that is falling here now (D4) is creating a fresh covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Anybody got snow in meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Saganist wrote: »
    I did say to keep off the gas. There's nothing wrong keeping it in a low gear as long as you stay slow and dont give it gas.

There's a motoring forum for this lads! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

nice thaw here in Dublin 17.

Slushy roads and lots of dripping too. Temp is currently 3c. Temp and Dew points are actually rising according to http://www.irelandsweather.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Whereabouts in south Meath are you? Nothing happening in Dunshaughlin :(

Must be very localised.

Edit : heavy now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A Deep freeze under way here, roads are probably the worst I have seen them.
    Congrats to those on the east coast expecting a major snowfall, yous are getting more than yous usually do.
    Only 2 inches up here from the last day but hopefully I will get more tomorrow if some of the showers spread far enough.

Few clouds here in Lucan, might get a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

If you're gonna stick up a snow report and your location isn't in your Profile, at least mention where you are in the report! God knows you could be at the North Pole for all we know...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Xxhaylsxx wrote: »
    Anybody got snow in meath?

tonnes about an hour ago in Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Leixlip...Seems to be warming up significantly in last while ...thawing if anything !!!Getting v pessimistic now.Someone on radio said there was 'heavy snowfall' on Naas Rd round 4pm -rubbish it was little mroe than a flurry!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Would agree that there seems to be a thaw going on in Donabate just now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Really?? Doesnt really look like it will snow anymore anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

tonnes about an hour ago in Navan

It seems to be missing Dublin West/South West atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Very light flakes in Naas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

No, don't listen to this! Drive in a high gear. The wheels don't spin as much. Take off in second gear if you can. If not, then move into 2nd gear as soon as you move and keep moving up gears.

Spot on. The poster saying low gears is so completely wrong. Terrible advice. Just forget you have a first gear in snow, start off in second - leave plenty gap to the car in front, ease the speed off before a hazard or a corner in plenty time by just lifting off the throttle instead of braking.

Keep it smooth and think well ahead. Good on you for asking the question, most new drivers wouldn't ask!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

Mad weather here in Dublin 12 today, was snowing heavily for about 45 mins earlier, then stopped for about an hour, then started again (snow/hail mix), then took ANOTHER break and now its snow/hail again (more hail than snow). The funny thing its actually sticking and topping up the left over snow from saturday. I read a few of you guys reporting rain, haven't seen a drop, just hail. Dunno about anywhere else but its way too cold to rain around here...-1 according to the thermometer on my shed, and thats been dropping non stop since about 4. I picked a great week to take a week off :D:D Heres hoping we all get lashed out of it tonight and tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Lots of snow on the way home between Dublin and Navan, with heavy falls in Dunshaughlin and Skryne area.

Saganist wrote: »

It's WRONG. Terrible advice.

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/driving-tips/how-to-drive-in-snow/

This is why people crash - bad advice doesn't help. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

No, don't listen to this! Drive in a high gear. The wheels don't spin as much. Take off in second gear if you can. If not, then move into 2nd gear as soon as you move and keep moving up gears.

perhaps i should have asked the question instead with all the disagreements im getting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

We're in the shadow of the isle of man with these winds, unfortunately.

oDbqL.png

(Sorry about the ropey laptop trackpad drawing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

it came from a south to south west direction from dundalk no were near dubland:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I have been using Weather Underground to keep an eye on temp / dp all day. Gone back up to 1C now - reading is from Dublin Airport AFAIK. I am disappoint by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my browser in relation to these:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/
    Like the Naas Road is surely not bright right now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

maybe the driving advice should be left to the motors forum - if only to stop this forum becoming as argumentative as the motors forum genrally is

Holy crap almost blizzarding here now ! (South Meath)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Of course a higher gear ie 4th or 5th is generally the best in icy conditions BUT going down a steep icy hill(or even on the flat for that matter on v icy roads)going down through the gears would be better advice than braking .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement