Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

looks like galway could be in for some more snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

markens2 wrote: »
    What's the snow sitation in Celbridge?

Been oblivious to it all night with my curtains drawn and xbox on but havent noticed any all night.Still there is a fresh blanket down so it must have snowed a few hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

no messing now. it is lashing rain with thunder & ligthning nearby.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

Raining in Lucan for a few mins then stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Rain/Sleet here in Drogheda, has been like that for a while now. Very windy. But still snow lying on the ground on my road and cars anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

just about to ask wheres the thunder and snow @iweatheronline promised at 6am when it thundered in north dublin

and a bit of rain, boo

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

recent reports have lightning hitting runway of dublin airport, dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

3 rattles of thunder in Maynooth over the last 15 mins or so, may have been more, but just got woken up. Make that 4. More distant now though.

And it has snowed quite a bit too, neighhours were out building a snowman at 11:00 las night and their garden is completed covered again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

no messing now. it is lashing rain with thunder & ligthning nearby.

Heavy thaw under way now. Do you still believe we'll see snow near the coast in Dublin city by 11am-ish? I've lost my confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

heavy snow/sleet in laois now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Heavy thaw under way now. Do you still believe we'll see shower near the coast in Dublin city? I've lost my confidence.

This muck will clear during the morning, cold Siberian air is tucked in behind it. proper snow showers back by 12ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Light snow flakes in tinahely just stopped. Clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

just started snowing in North Tipp - west of Borrisokane, on east shore of Lough Derg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

This muck will clear during the morning, cold Siberian air is tucked in behind it. proper snow showers back by 12ish.

Before I had a kip the temp was 0.6c and M2 had a raising DP of 1.5. Now I'm up to 3c here combined with a thaw and M2 having a DP of 3.3. I'll have faith!

where do you find this out,are you looking at radars or something,if so where,getting excited by all this snow watching now

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Heavy hail shower in Dunboyne.
    Will rain be next??

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Just woke to six inches of the white stuff here in Tallaght. Can't make the roads out, snow is higher than kerb, travel chaos and i;m staying at home, to hell with it not worth taking chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Just woke to six inches of the white stuff here in Tallaght. Can't make the roads out, snow is higher than kerb, travel chaos and i;m staying at home, to hell with it not worth taking chances.

Are you near the Village? I am wondering if I should send my daughter to college today from Drogheda????

gonker wrote: »
    Are you near the Village? I am wondering if I should send my daughter to college today from Drogheda????
    i wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

only about 3 (more) inches in Navan so far since what was there at midnight last night, but its still coming down (fairly light and on and off, but its coming) and there's been thunder and lightening too and there was a thunderclap of about 20 seconds about 25 minutes ago so i reckon we're going to have more of it.

i *could* still get to work without too much bother in the jeep, but my wife would be taking public transport into the IFSC and even if she did get in, i don't imagine she'd get home again. we can both work from home, so i reckon that counts as an unnecessary journey in any case so i'm not going to risk it.

i might head out later on to see if there's anyone stuck locally that i can help pull out. i've got a new tow rope and it would be nice to get a bit of use out of it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

Take the day off work and go back to bed. You have my permission!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

gonker wrote: »

Im up the Kiltipper end bout 500 yards past the shamrock rovers stadium, Roads a very bad and dangerous, can't make the roads from the paths out, its just a sheet of white. If its not an important day in college i wouldnt chance it, my company has pulled our fleet of 60 vans off the road, far to dangerous.

Also its forecast to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Got awoken by the thunder and lightning over Dunshaughlin, it was so cool! Too excited to go back to sleep :o. Got a big dumping of snow here but I think it turned to sleet/rain then? :( It's too dark to see and it's too cold to go out and check.

Has any of the met's forecast come to fruition? 10 inches anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Just hit +0.9c with a DP of -1.3. Approaching borderline conditions for snow despite being a fair bit inland and also being at a bit of an elevation. Good bit of thunder and lightning in the past hour but very little precip. Looking at the radar, I'm just at the southern limit of the precip. Sky to my north east is glowing orange which is very unusual as I'm in a very small village a good few kilometres away from anywhere

Got awoken by the thunder and lightning over Dunshaughlin, it was so cool! Too excited to go back to sleep :o. Got a big dumping of snow here but I think it turned to sleet/rain then? :( It's too dark to see and it's too cold to go out and check.

Has any of the met's forecast come to fruition? 10 inches anywhere?
    I've got 10 inches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just had 3 or 4 simultaneous flashes of lightning there, no more thunder so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Snowing in galway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just back from a round trip from Ashbourne, to Kilbride, the Airport and back to Ashbourne. There's been snow all right, soft wet snow, in varying quantities. Ashbourne is not too bad, the back road to Kilbride from Ratoath was not a problem at 04:30, from Kilbride to the Airport was not a problem, the closer to the airport, the wetter it is, and the roads while white in places are predominantly wet underneath, so it should clear once the traffic gets going properly, and back on the old N2 to Ashbourne is fine.

Several seriously impressive lightning flashes during the journey. It's well above freezing at the moment, which is not what was forecast, so a lot wetter than was expected, I've just checked my weather station, and the outside air is 2.8, and that's pretty accurate, and a lot warmer than was predicted. wind is about 12 Kts easterly, outside humidity is over 98%.

There is still some packed ice under the slushy stuff on some of the more minor roads, and the estate roads in Ashbourne are still well covered, but all in all, nothing like as dangerous and treacherous as was originally predicted, but that's 100% down to the higher than forecast temperatures, if it had stayed below freezing it would have been a very different story.

Still the odd clap of thunder rattling around, and I had to reset my router before I could post this as a result of the spike from an earlier lightning flash in the area.

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭highdef

Just had a flash of lightning to my north east followed by a flash to my northwest 20 seconds later followed by another flash to my north east 20 seconds later!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've got 10 inches :D
    we're metric now, you might find that it's actually only 10cm. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement