Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mssive thaw on here in Louth,when met eireann said 8 inches I thought they meant we would get 8 inches not loose it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

mel.b wrote: »
    Snow in Ennis in the past 45min. Road and footpath covered. Was staring to feel very left out, so glad we finally got some!

ok, it's getting closer

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

simple answer - the main roads are absolutley fine and treated. at +3 there is no issues. I drove to work fine.

I second that. My trip from Swords to Sandyford along the M50 was uneventful this morning, if a little slower than usual. Trip took about 15 minutes longer, but the road was fine.

My fear is what will get dumped on us before the evening commute. I love snow, but my sanity will be in danger if I have to repeat that epic commute from last winter.

Incidentally, Swords got f3ck all by way of snow overnight. It was 2.5C and raining when I left this morning and the remains of a hail shower was melting from the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

A nice 2 and a half inches of snow in Edenderry early this morning. Got a text from a friend at 4:45 and looked out to see a blizzard only lasted a half hour but well worth getting up early for. The snow from Saturday morning didn't melt and now this on top, the estate is lethal! good job we have a load of turf in the shed. Fire on already and hopefully another few heavy showers before the days end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Some power loss in Tallaght too.
    Guys, list of Dublin buses and details on diversions etc..

Buses and more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone know what snow.we not going to get in cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Heyes wrote: »
    Is that the end of it for dublin south ? certainly appears to be

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Deep Easterly in Tuam must be reporting snow if the raintoday radar is right? Its so close to me i can smell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

on bus from Stillorgan to Blanch. in town now and very uneventful... so far!

lot of thaw around with roof snow melting. hope it doesnt get any colder...

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Is that the end of it for dublin south ? certainly appears to be

On the radio met eireann just said that as the day goes on the showers will turn increasingly to snow, so I don't think we should give up hope yet :)

They're even saying snow over the next couple of days into the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know what snow we not going to get in cork?

According to accuweather we might get some today.

Met.ie says some snow in east munster too, so you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

It's been raining all night here dub 17.

And its about to rain again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Met Eireann certainly made some helms of this one. Reinforces the fact that if the Met do not forecast snow, expect snow, if the Met forecast blizzard, expect rain:D

Lets hope things get better this afternoon.

Even with the rain and higher temps, still a decent cover of snow all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

RTE WEATHER ON RTE RADIO 1

THE SHOWERS ON THE COAST WILL TURN TO SNOW AS THE DAY DEVELOPS SO IT WILL GET COLDER WHEN THAT FRONT PASSES:)

AND SHOWERS FROM THE ATLANTIC WILL HIT COLD AIR AND TURN TO MORE SNOW TOWARD THE END OF THE WEEK :D

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone know what snow.we not going to get in cork?

any site that i have looked at, is telling me we're gonna get snow showers this morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

snaps wrote: »
    Deep Easterly in Tuam must be reporting snow if the raintoday radar is right? Its so close to me i can smell it!

Seems to be bang on. I can see the next shower coming in as it is on the radar. Bring it on!!!!

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    any site that i have looked at, is telling me we're gonna get snow showers this morning:D

You will...
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Misticles wrote: »
    pokerface_me, would it be bad if not worse around old bawn towards bohernabreena area?

Not sure, my next door neighbour went out bout 640 to go to work, via kiltipper road onto oldbawn rd onto seskin view road and on to m50 from there, he was back 20 mins later Old bawn was a nightmare at Aherns the slight hill there, cars were struggling, he turned round went down through Aylesbury and the same thing, He gave in came back via Thomas Davis and car is left at Ellensborough he couldn't get up Kiltipper hill. So abandoned ship. Wouldn't travel unless very important, if any more comes down alot of people will not get home without a serious struggle tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

English Northeast coast is experiencing strong easterly winds off a warm ocean but the cold air is beginning to get there.

Newcastle 1c but with a dewpoint of -5c ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Anyone ?

At the moment the cold air is on its way which will turn things back to snow when it arrives later this afternoon. Further showers are on the way looking at the radar but its likely they will be rain up until the cold air arrives.

Latest update below.
    Maps and soundings are showing deeper cold air rapidly moving across the Irish Sea and people should expect volatile conditions this morning, a wedge of milder air was pushed west by the stronger winds (the Irish Sea is after all 12 deg C) but the unstable nature of this situation at present will create highly volatile squall bands with hail and eventually snow at low elevations, while further inland it remains all snow with some hail mixed in -- but should stress that conditions may change rapidly especially for anyone contemplating travel, and you could run into very heavy squally precip anywhere in the eastern counties this morning. A lot of thunder and lightning is likely to develop also due to this highly unstable profile.

Opr

• Advertisement

RuthieRose wrote: »

woooooohooooo:D

Snowing in Galway City again :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Very cloudy in Waterford city now, Temp -1.2 DP -2.1c. Heavy frost last night, roads are very dangerous. Nice streamer to our east making its way here. Should be snowing soon.

More Stats and Webcam @ www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Wouldn't travel unless very important, if any more comes down alot of people will not get home without a serious struggle tonight.

It always amazes me just how local an event snow can be. A few miles is the difference between wet slush and powder. Mind you perhaps it's vertical metres that matter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Still snowing here. Four hours and we have about 10cms. Temperature slightly up though I expect it to drop later on as the next batch of cold air comes in. I think Friday will be the next fun day...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just witnessed a 4x4 think it was a hilux jeep, career down the hill out side my house, foot on the brake and just slid for 100yards into a lampost. Occupants look ok, pride just took a beatin i'd say.

Jesus lads slow down i don't care what you drive, you haven't a hope out there it treachourous, its starting to bucket down again. Back in 10 mins off to check eldery couple next door, God help them they are terrified feel stranded.

Something went off the road at the crossroads here last night; flashing hazard lights and the huge tractor came and sorted it. Once more no gas or water here but the landlord is a star and they will be by later; warned us not to go out as the roads are too bad for the wee car.

Makes a huge difference when folk rally round as you are doing. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem with looking outside now and seeing it thaw is that there's a good chance of it re-freezing before the end of the day and then more snow on top of that.

snow + rain + freeze = black ice + more snow = death on the roads

heed the warnings folks, its not worth risking your life for.

you don't have to believe me, i'm no expert myself but THIS GUY is and if there's one person on here (above anyone on the TV & radio) I'd make a point of paying attention to, it's him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

opr wrote: »
    At the moment the cold air is on its way which will turn things back to snow when it arrives later this afternoon. Further showers are on the way looking at the radar but its likely they will be rain up until the cold air arrives.

Latest update below.

Opr

where did MT post that, cant see it...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Very dark clouds here now, nothing falling though! Would be great to steal some of the easts thundersnow action!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

inabina wrote: »
    where did MT post that, cant see it...thanks

Couple of pages back in this thread about half 7.

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement