Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone advise me on this system

• 28-11-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I'm looking at this system. I want a powerful versatile system that is capable of running heavy programs such as picture editing and games such as Football Manager.

Can you please advise me on what you think of this system and how much do you think it is worth?

HP 6658

AMD Phenom II X4 820 2.8 gHZ

4gb DDR3 RAM

1TB HDD

BluRay/ DVD burner with LightScribe

NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 1gb DED

HDMI/VGA/DVI/WiFi/Remote Controller

Windows 7 Home Premium

23' HP HD monitor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If I was to assemble the parts myself I wouldn't pay more than maybe €550. But that is a guess. The gpu is cack, the cpu isn't great and I'm assuming the RAM and the HDD are both slow. You would be far better heading to the Building and Upgrading forum and seeing the large performance improvements you get in terms of quality if you are willing to build a computer yourself. Rocket science it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The X4 is an alright CPU, it's not blazing fast but it's also not going to burn a hole in your wallet. It will have no problem playing games, however.

The GPU is underpowered. Im not a fan of Nvidia, but w/e. It's a light chipset generally being seen in laptops more than desktops, it would be fine for blu ray and average gaming demands but it's not exactly the best thing out there. There are plenty of faster GPUs: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=GeForce+GT+320

I'd probably expect to see that build at about $500 at retail: bearing in mind it has Blu Ray, and a monitor. The other components you'd expect to see on tigerdirect or newegg in a bundle for around $300. But then again I always sucked at Price is Right. You could find better for cheaper by building one and accounting for sweat equity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Overheal wrote: »
    The X4 is an alright CPU, it's not blazing fast but it's also not going to burn a hole in your wallet. It will have no problem playing games, however.

The GPU is underpowered. Im not a fan of Nvidia, but w/e. It's a light chipset generally being seen in laptops more than desktops, it would be fine for blu ray and average gaming demands but it's not exactly the best thing out there. There are plenty of faster GPUs: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?cpu=GeForce+GT+320

I'd probably expect to see that build at about $500 at retail: bearing in mind it has Blu Ray, and a monitor. The other components you'd expect to see on tigerdirect or newegg in a bundle for around $300. But then again I always sucked at Price is Right. You could find better for cheaper by building one and accounting for sweat equity.
    Do you mean you'd expect to buy it built for that price? Where I was looking at it, it was 1000+! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You could probably build it for 500. Sweat Equity is a great way to save cash. But anyway here's one example that is prebuilt, just slap in a meatier hard drive and the blu ray, save $$$ by dialing back the ram to 4gb ddr3. If you build it yourself youre of course saving a tap more money too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108309&Tpk=gt%20320

And Monitors are cheap, can be got for 150 for that size these days. I definitely don't feel it's worth a grand, no. Not in dollars, not in euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Where I was looking at it, it was 1000+! :eek:

Then you would be paying at least double of what it is worth.

Head over to the PC building and upgrading forum.

Advertisement