Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€50, what would you get?

• 28-11-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Looking to get a new riser bar, stem, headset and lock on grips. I've a budget of about €50, what would you get?

The bike is a Raleigh AT10. I know, not a good bike but thats about all I can afford (I'm 17). I use it for cycling to school and Ballyhoura the odd time. I've also changed the pedals, tyre's and saddle already (Irrelivant really :P )

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=10&pg=22

I'd be looking to buy off CRC, I'm 6ft tall if that helps with sizing. I really don't know what to look for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

whats wrong with your current headset?

if you got one of these you would have a much greater stem choice
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6254

I didnt realise they still built bikes with quill stems, at least for this side of the world anyway. if its 1 1/8" fork/headset you will need 25.4-28.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I just want a proper head set, upgrade all the parts so I eventually end up with a decent bike. After this it will be new wheels + disk brakes or a hub. Also, what does a quill do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

mtb_kng wrote: »
    upgrade all the parts so I eventually end up with a decent bike. After this it will be new wheels + disk brakes or a hub.

Save your money until you can afford to upgrade the entire bike.
    mtb_kng wrote:
    Also, what does a quill do?

at10g2__56307_zoom.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, keep saving your money, ask Santa for a cash donation to your bike fund or for shop vouchers or something. You can buy CRC vouchers online.

Upgrading the headset will require new stem, new headset and new forks, and unless you're prepared to fork out (no pun intended) at least €200 for the three, then you're only upgrading to OK parts.

• Advertisement

you could replace the headset and keep the same forks but you'd need to remove and replace the fork crown race with the new headset part.

a new headset wont make much of a difference, If youre having problems with the current one you could replace or regrease the bearings. a large adjustable wrench can be used. new bearings would cost around 2euro.

if the bike is running fine enough dont bother buying new parts because they wont offer much of an upgrade with your current budget, and a larger budget isnt worth it because you'd be better off with a new bike anyway as your current bike is a low end model, tho still a good bike. if a part is broken then replace it, otherwise just use it as it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Well, forget the headset/bars etc, now the cranks are going all ****e. The one on the right feels loose and is clunking. The chainring seems off centre/warped and the chain falls off and then goes back on when on the highest gear. Rear derailleour seems fine, its all at the front. Is it new cranks and a bottom bracket i need to replace now?

This all happened today, after just getting it fixed by Tierneys in Ennis a week or so ago. Should I bring it back to them, or just forget it and buy the parts and do it myself, I've had enough trouble with them already.

Advertisement