Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Tomorrow?

Options
  • 29-11-2010 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering if the schools will be open tomorrow in Dublin?.Want to know whether to set the alarm clock or let him sleep on. Thanks;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'm trying to find out online, but haven't been able to find anything just yet. Radio said schools in monaghan are all closed, but hasn't mentioned dublin yet.

Having said that, I've to drive 3 miles to his school and then get public transport to work - not sure I'm confident driving those 3 miles and am wondering should ring work:confused::confused:

I went out in it last night for a 3 minute drive and was terrified all the way, the car skidded so much:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mine are up and getting ready, but damned if I can get through to ether school on the phone.

Well they have both gone into school, got through to the secondary school, and was told if the weather gets worse they may be sent home.

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/schools-make-own-decision-on-closing-as-icy-spell-grips-2440025.html
    Schools make own decision on closing as icy spell grips

By Katherine Donnelly

Monday November 29 2010

IT will be up to individual schools to decide whether or not to close as freezing weather continues its grip on many areas.

In some cases, pupils will have difficulty getting to school because of the snow and ice.

Bus Eireann advised last night that there may be disruption to school buses in certain parts of the country.

Individual school boards of management have the discretion to decide whether they should close, and for how long, when hit by extreme weather conditions.

A spokesperson for the Department of Education said last night that it was not issuing any instructions and confirmed it was a matter for individual schools.

In general, if a school is closed due to bad weather, it is expected to compensate for the lost time later in the school year.

Exceptional

However, in exceptional circumstances, the department may exempt a school from this requirement.

After last winter's big freeze, which led to widespread closure of schools, some made up the lost time but in other cases -- where the shutdown was extended -- it proved more difficult to replace all the lost days.

The school transport scheme, which is administered by Bus Eireann, carries 135,000 pupils to and from school every day, mainly in rural areas.

A Bus Eireann spokesperson said parents should contact their local school transport office to check on the status of the relevant service.

After January's freeze, the Catholic Primary School Management Association (CPSMA) the body representing managers in more than 90pc of primary schools, recommended that schools should make allowances for unforeseen circumstances, such as weather, when planning the school calendar.

In the interest of ensuring that schools meet their requirement to open for 183 days, the CPSMA recommended that boards of management reserve a number of days which could be used for such events.

http://www.schooldays.ie/articles/School-closure-updates-November-29-2010
    School closure updates, November 29

Local Update Sources

Schools in south east Leinster - East Coast FM
    Dublin area - 98 FM.com
    Carlow / Kilkenny - KCLR 96FM
    Donegal / Ulster - Highland radio

We are compiling information on sources of school closures around the country here.

You can also help by posting an update about your local school on the schools page on this site. Please include the source of your information (e.g. from East Coast FM, or from school website), and use the category 'weather update' .

Advertisement