Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop idea for Dundalk

Options
  • 29-11-2010 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm thinking of opening a small shop in Dundalk. Just if anyone has any ideas for something that's needed in dundalk. I was thinking of a kind of gift shop with vintage stuff as well. Something along the lines of urban outfitters home department? There's rq oneill's and the gift & art gallery which are well established but thinking maybe something for a younger market?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

Rosobo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of opening a small shop in Dundalk.

That's a good start , The town needs business and nobody likes to pass all these empty shops .

Just if anyone has any ideas for something that's needed in dundalk.

Throwing that question wide open, it could be answered like this .... ideas for something that's needed / ????.... First off ... the town has everything it needs in the way of small business needs.. that's my opinion . Now I do not want to close off the conversation by making that statement because others will have their own opinion on to what is "Needed''
    I was thinking of a kind of gift shop with vintage stuff as well. Something along the lines of urban outfitters home department? There's rq oneill's and the gift & art gallery which are well established

This is where I think your business interest lies and becomes questionable as to the kind of business which Dundalk needs ?

but thinking maybe something for a younger market?

The young who have money are very fickle and will spread their money. why not grab the whole market of both the young and the older who want a new experience .

This is where my interest lies..... Kai-ten Sushi . The question! Does Dundalk need a Kaiten Sushi ? The answer is NO! simply because , What we never had , we never needed and what we don't need we will simply walk past it .

BUT from a business man/woman's point of view it would be a great business to open in Dundalk . Check out Yo-Sushi in the Dundrum shopping centre in Dublin .. Every seat is filled at the counter and there is always a queue .
    BUT THEY DON'T NEED IT .

So to keep the conversation alive .
    thinking of opening a small shop in Dundalk. Just if anyone has any ideas for something that's needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 king li

This town of ours has no Craft shop in it. Ideal office have started to stock carding making supplies but there is no where that has all your crafts gear in the one store.
    Ideal have seen the gap in the market and are great at getting supplies in for you.
    I know some people will say that people arent willing to spend huge money on crafts. But to give you an idea, we have waited all year to the RDS knitting show so we could get all our card making supplies. I spent over €200 and that was in 4 hours shopping.

In these days of recession alot of people arent going out so there looking for a hobby to pass there time and there is that nice thing of making and giving homemade cards.

Just an idea for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

It sounds like a great idea, the only problem would be where to open it, Bridge Street is dead and Clanbrassil Street is dying slowly.
    Good luck if you do anyways. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

king li wrote: »
    This town of ours has no Craft shop in it. Ideal office have started to stock carding making supplies but there is no where that has all your crafts gear in the one store.
    I know a few people that are big into craft making and they get all their supplies from ebay, they have been to various craft stores across the country and ebay has always been cheaper for them. Not that I'm knocking the idea but when you factor in all the running costs of a shop I don't think you could compete.

I say open a shop like Forbidden Planet: http://forbiddenplanet.com/ , selling a huge range of graphic novels, comics, manga, toy collectibles & statues, busts, props, replicas etc... you would get custom from kids and adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

KeithM89 wrote: »
    It sounds like a great idea, the only problem would be where to open it, Bridge Street is dead and Clanbrassil Street is dying slowly.
    Good luck if you do anyways. :)

I will have to agree , part of the buildings on Bridge Street are dead , in fact the last building on the left as you go out the Newry Road is actually shored up to prevent it from falling into the street. We do have new developments coming around the Market Square Area if we are to believe earlier announcements that, in that part of town there will be a redeveloped starting in the new year ....... but now the conversation is beginning to turn, so back on track..

So we have ideas for

a kind of gift shop with vintage stuff Something along the lines of urban outfitters home department?

Some kind of Sushi Shop.

A Craft shop where king li can spend €200 in 4 hours

and a forbidden planet selling Otaku stuff.

My suggestion would be to have a Marriage Bureau business for the immigrants who have not left Ireland so that we could integrate them more socially together , think of the spin off from such an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

kyosushi wrote: »
    BUT THEY DON'T NEED IT .

So to keep the conversation alive .
    :eek:
    Jaysus... that fella's madder than a box of frogs.

king li wrote: »
    This town of ours has no Craft shop in it.

Bridge Street Studios
    EDIT: Scratch that - didn't realise you meant a craft supply shop

The problem with any of the above businesses mentioned is that it is very easy for existing businesses on the same street to rise to the competition and stock your products.

Try to get an exclusivity deal with whatever supplier(s) you choose and get the contract checked over twice by your solicitor.

Also, is a craft/gift shop not a very seasonal business? Around 90% of sales in the run up to christmas?

Shindig, what does a Marriage Bureau business do, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

May i suggest a shop which is popular in dublin and popular in belfast and be the mediation?

An apple store for example :D:D

CMpunked wrote: »
    May i suggest a shop which is popular in dublin and popular in belfast and be the mediation?

An apple store for example :D:D

Apple Stores are huge loss-makers. Apple only open them, they cannot be franchised, and they are simply another form of advertising and brand recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Open up a cafe/sweetshop with some soft furnishings ,belting out current chart hits, have some sexual health pamphlets ,sell smoothies and penny sweets and call it a "Youth Cafe".

The profit comes from the penny sweets and the self-worth comes from doing something for the community :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

bigneacy wrote: »
    Apple Stores are huge loss-makers. Apple only open them, they cannot be franchised, and they are simply another form of advertising and brand recognition.

Aww.
    I'm just sick of waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery from the online store. :P

• Advertisement

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Open up a cafe/sweetshop with some soft furnishings ,belting out current chart hits, have some sexual health pamphlets ,sell smoothies and penny sweets and call it a "Youth Cafe".

The profit comes from the penny sweets and the self-worth comes from doing something for the community :)

Lots of profit in Coffee and Smoothies. The current trend has gone from Smoothies and juice to 'Designer' Milkshakes and more of a niche trend is Malt Drinks.

I hear "The Shake Shop" in Navan(?) is doing quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

My project for next semester will be to find a building in or around Dundalk and convert its existing use into some proposed use. I haven't a clue what I'll d with that project yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for some ideas, so kudos so far and keep the ideas flowing!:D

papagormo wrote: »
    My project for next semester will be to find a building in or around Dundalk and convert its existing use into some proposed use. I haven't a clue what I'll d with that project yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for some ideas, so kudos so far and keep the ideas flowing!:D

Here’s an idea for your project that is a need, not just for Dundalk but for the whole of Ireland .

Ever since the state had it’s last formal link with the U.K. which it severed in 1949 when the Oireachtas passed the Republic of Ireland Act, droves of Irish still had to leave because of unemployment or to escape for whatever reason . These Irish have never been recognized for their real worth whenever they returned and spread their small earnings around their local economy.

Many left and made a success of their lives , many died doing a dangerous job , many disappeared for being worthless criminals , yet they all had one thing in common , they were able to contribute to the Irish economy in one way or another . The common factor, they all removed themselves from the burden of the Irish state having to support them in Social payouts .

In 2004 the Law of this Land changed when we signed into full agreement with Europe and that we would treat everyone entering Ireland the same. The returning (wild geese) Irish who spent their working lives abroad and who wanted to return to their HOMELAND are hit with the Habitual Residence Condition ,

Your Project “papagormo’’ for your next semester will be to find a building to house the returning Irish , (Day1) give them a simple cot bed , a hot drink , a ball point pen and advice on how to fill out the application to be recognized as Irish and not an illegal immigrant .

The illegal immigrant is entitled to a holiday chalet , €19.50¢ per week to spend in the tuck shop , a medical card , and free food , heat ,also free phone calls world wide once a week plus no requirement for a TV license . So the Irish should have the same over the two years they are waiting for their application to be approved.

On graduation of the Habitual Residence Condition and welcomed back into Irish society the returnee should be given a Medal of Honor for services abroad .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

:rolleyes: Or maybe just a sweet shop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

yeh start a sweet shop with sweets ppl like
    a hardware shop started selling bonbons and haribo a few weeks ago and now half the school goes there, they sell more sweets that hardware

start a sweet shop near a school(like, really close) and sell good sweets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 freesky

Bridge Street is dead and Clanbrassil Street is dying slowly

Dont agree with that at all, I've opened in Clanbrassil st recently and think the town is definatly picking up!

+1 ^^
    And costcutters opening soon too.
    Best of luck with you business btw:)

Start a sweet shop with sweets that nobody likes, like near a school or just start a sweet shop with sweets that are sour now that would be more original . You could call it a tweet&sour shop.

I thought we had a thread on the Candy Shop ...oh we do ! and a poster here made a comment on it .

Do we need a sweet shop , another pizza shop perhaps, now that will get some people thinking outside the bottle .

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I thought we had a thread on the Candy Shop ...oh we do ! and a poster here made a comment on it
    You obviously didnt notice that my idea was a tounge in cheek reply to your own rambling nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

Like your sense of humour shindig , academic acrimony will leave a pinky short to the well known music ditty.

• Advertisement

Like your sense of humour shindig , academic acrimony will leave a pinky short to the well known music ditty.
    I must set up my own duplicate support a/c :D

Ditty..........FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

BUT from a business man/woman's point of view it would be a great business to open in Dundalk . Check out Yo-Sushi in the Dundrum shopping centre in Dublin .. Every seat is filled at the counter and there is always a queue .
    BUT THEY DON'T NEED IT .

QUOTE]

mmmmmm SUSHI !

ah i would love a sushi place in dundalk..............not sure if it would catch on though. it's amazing the amount of ppl who hate the idea of sushi without having ever tried it.

on a similar note.....a shop like 'white and ahern' a few years ago would be my ideal.......cure meats, sauces, dips, etc..........though the fact that it didn't last long probably proves it doesn't get the custom it needs to maintain it. it wasn't cheap but it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

:rolleyes: Or maybe just a sweet shop!!

Love it!:D

Advertisement