Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP.

• 29-11-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello :) First post eh!
    I've been hearing different things about LCVP, a few teachers say it doesn't count if I want to go to UCC and other teachers are saying it does count.
    Can somebody clear things up for me ? Because if it doesn't count towards universities I will drop it and focus on other subjects.
    Nice to meet you all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

hmm thats odd im pretty sure most colleges accept lcvp .im doing it at the moment and hate it but im more than likely going to use it in my results .im planning on going to ucc too:D what do you wanna do there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 In_My_Tree

I thought the same, I was hoping it wouldn't count to be honest :pac: I know I will end up using it but I hate writing the diaries, investigations etc.
    Arts :) Yourself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

LCVP, the subject that fúcked me over. My advice is to drop it. It is extremely hard to get the distinction and no one in my year that did it got the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 In_My_Tree

What really puts me off is what the Qualifax site says.

"While Link modules are counted for points scoring purposes, they may not be counted as one of the six subjects to satisfy minimum entry requirements."

Is it easy to get a Merit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

In_My_Tree wrote: »
    Is it easy to get a Merit ?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

counts for ucc / cit
    but it seems more than likely that most people get a merit, which is very achievable and worth 50 points.
    very few manage the distinction worth 70

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SiobhainD

unknown13 wrote: »
    LCVP, the subject that fúcked me over. My advice is to drop it. It is extremely hard to get the distinction and no one in my year that did it got the distinction.
    Well thats a bit ****. Im in transition year considering doing the subject because all the teachers are calling it "a guaranteed 70 points if you finish it all in fifth year" was it usefull for the CVs and stuff? my career guidance techer is useless and the cv i made in his class was bloody awfull!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I'd recommend doing it. It doesn't take anything away from your studies to be honest. You do a portfolio of work which counts for a large portion of your overall grade. If you do that properly and don't waste your time playing computer games in class that lightens the load. I think if your portfolio work is distinction standard then all you need is about 65% in the written paper to get your distinction. If you do business it's quite an easy exam. There's a video you watch and answer questions about... It's not difficult. I'd say do it.
    If your teacher is useless have a look at the LCVP website. Just do a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

whats percentage do you need to get a distinction?? btw our LCVP teacher is the worst teacher in the entire world she is absolutley useless!!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

ye you can use it..but not for matriculation ...par example:p you need 6 subjects in the lc but im doing 7....one of this 6 cnt be lcvp....but the 7th subject is lcvp... no im nt gna gt an a in french (for example) so if i get a dinstinction in lcvp these points will be counted

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmk?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

brownlad wrote: »
    ye you can use it..but not for matriculation ...par example:p.... no im nt gna gt an a in french (for example)
    I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this, it's par exemple and yes you might not get an A, but who knows? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

LCVP is the biggist piss take ever

I got my test marked after the LC there last year i got 98% in the test which is 39 % of the mark.

But i done so bad on all the stuff to hand up dont ask why i done so bad because i was told i was post to get a dinstinction but only got 30 points init before i got it looked out. But in the end i went up to 50 points in it but its the biggist waste of time ever.

Also dont give out about your teacher's as long as there in the class makeing you work. Not like my old LCVP teacherwho just let us play games on the computers in the class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

I got a distinction in LCVP and I would say it's not much work to get it.

All I did was follow the format of reports/cv in the book and put my own experience into it, but it is a subject where you need a good teacher to do well, who will help organise the visit out/visit in/stage an event/video interview.

The exam part is difficult at times as it is one of the few subjects where you cannot prepare an answer, that said reading the book and knowing your stuff will help you through the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Id recommend doing LCVP if the Original OP is still looking for advice. You can do a lot of the course in 5th year, and once your put in a bit of work (theory wise) its achievable to get a Merit.

I am Aiming for a distinction myself, but its so hard to judge what youll get as every teachers has their 10 cent on "whats right". In the end I just stuck to the book, and hope thats right!

Also despite the serious amount of BS that goes into the portfolio about how it helps you in your community etc. LCVP did actually help me when it came to college choices (I first wanted to do computer science but was turned off it after doing a career investigation on it). So yeah, Recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EthanMcT

Lcvp isn't hard but you really cant take it for granted... you need to do the work the year before your leaving cert year because otherwise it will distract you from your other work.....

Ayrtonf7 do you mind me asking what put you off computer science? thinking of doing computer applications but i have been doubting my decision to do so lately :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

EthanMcT wrote: »
    Ayrtonf7 do you mind me asking what put you off computer science? thinking of doing computer applications but i have been doubting my decision to do so lately :confused:

Well...Ive done a weeks work experience with a computer gaming company, and talked to a few of the coders, and of couse as part of the investigation I had to do an interview...

And I dunno...I always knew there was maths involved, but I just really didnt think that it would be that much. I guess like another thing waw the thought of sitting infront of a computer for literally hours on end, to fix a tiny problem.

Seemed like a lot of nit picking, (something which I dont like)...

Practical subjects just suited me more I guess.

Also hope this answers some of your questions^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I liked LCVP and think it is a great option if it's available for you. I think one thing I loved was that I didn't do TY and felt like I missed out on things like trips and work experience but LCVP made up for that to a certain extend.

I got a Merit. I could have got a Distinction but it was my own fault I didn't. I left a lot of the work til last minute. If you work from the start it's very doable. Not easy, and you can't think it's an easy 70 points (they're not just going to give away 70 points to everyone who does is) but it is doable.

Advertisement