Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-camera flash - Is brand important or relevant?

• 29-11-2010 1:37am

Hey all (back again :o)

Just looking at off-camera flash as I'll most likely have two flashguns soon enough.

I was flicking through the Strobist site, reading the 'lighting 101' posts and eventually ended up wandering over to eBay.

I was wondering, say I pick up something cheap and generic, like this;

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Wireless-Flash-Trigger-2-Umbrella-Holder-Receiver-5DII-/150525054203?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item230bfe0cfb

267301695_o.jpg

Can I mish-mash brands with it? Judging by that ebay listing, I simply attach the transmittor to the camera hot shoe, and the receivers to the flash guns' feet, and away I go? Because it's so generic and a Hong Kong knockoff, it's obviously not brand-exclusive (as is demonstrated by the "compatible with" in the description).

I own two cameras, an Olympus E-420 and a Canon 20D. My current Flashgun, in need of repair, is a Metz 48 AF-1 and I hope to end up with a Yongnuo GN58 soon (to replace the Metz whilst I get it's foot repaired).

So, whilst most people would be fairly uniformed with their gear, everything I own is different.

My question; would this cause me any issue at all? Seen as I'm using knock-off China gear, would my flashguns and cameras all work together happily enough anyway? (or more importantly, will my two different flashguns live together happily? I imagine the flashgun brands is what'll cause most issue?)

Just a little confused at the moment. Trying to get through things cheaply, to learn as I go along, but can't seem to find a quick answer to this.

Also, don't know if it's relevant at all, my Metz is made for Olympus, but it works grand on the Canon in Manual mode anyway.

Cheers to anyone able to help out here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Should be fine, I have two 580exII flashes and apart from events I could get away with something cheap as its mostly off camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm awaiting delivery of this set:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190465916647&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_3063wt_1139

For my Yongnuo 460.

Will let you know how they work out. I'm thinking they'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

It's worth asking the seller about compatibility, I have ebay triggers and they don't work with my Nissin flash (although I have heard that a bit of solder in the right places might fix that but I'm not too sure about poking around in there...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

AFAIK only Sony/Minolta would be a problem, I think because the hotshoe is not physically compatible.

Your Oly should be able to do wireless TTL with the metz flash as is, without any adaptors, if you'd bought another metz or Oly R flash you'd have been able to extend that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the nissin flashes dont use the centre pin for firing like most flash guns

thats why they dont work

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Your Oly should be able to do wireless TTL with the metz flash as is, without any adaptors, if you'd bought another metz or Oly R flash you'd have been able to extend that.

I looked into that a while ago, and I don't think my E-420 is up to the job, somehow. I can fire the Metz using the pop up flash on-camera, but I'd like to try and fire my flash without having to use the pop up flash.

Cagey, I'd be very interested to hear how they turn out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm hoping it arrives soon as I have a shoot upcoming! I got an email other day telling me it's been dispatched, but coming from Hong Kong could be a week ... or 3!

Advertisement