Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing damaged BB cups from MTB frame.

• 29-11-2010 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

My younger brother snapped BB axle in a top end alloy MTB frame and needs to remove cups to replace it however cups are seised solid so much that the splines have become damaged making them impossible to remove with the correct tool. Is there any recommended tips or any bike shop recommended? Bike is currently stripped down.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

If its an external BB and you dont want it anymore - vicegrips. TURN THE CORRECT DIRECTION.

If you aint confortable, bring it to your LBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

billy.fish wrote: »
    If its an external BB and you dont want it anymore - vicegrips. TURN THE CORRECT DIRECTION.

If you aint confortable, bring it to your LBS.
    Its internal BB and I am familiar with L & R H thread direction, local bike shop couldn't do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Its internal BB and I am familiar with L & R H thread direction, local bike shop couldn't do much.

Have you got a vice and bench??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can you post a pic of the type of BB from the web?
    If it's one of these, it's going to be very difficult;
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/BB-UN73.jpg
    Not impossible though - cheaper units have a plastic cup on one side which can be broken.

Have the splines on both sides been stripped?

seamus wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of the type of BB from the web?
    If it's one of these, it's going to be very difficult;
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/BB-UN73.jpg
    Not impossible though - cheaper units have a plastic cup on one side which can be broken.

Have the splines on both sides been stripped?
    Yes unfortunately that type and both cups are metal. I tried heating the base of frame with no joy. Looks like a bar might have to be welded on to the cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes unfortunately that type and both cups are metal. I tried heating the base of frame with no joy. Looks like a bar might have to be welded on to the cups.
    If you have that kind of expertise available to you, then it may be the best course of action.

When these BBs seize, they can be a pain in the ass, I've had to stand on a huge spanner and bounce up and down to release one before.

seamus wrote: »
    If you have that kind of expertise available to you, then it may be the best course of action.

When these BBs seize, they can be a pain in the ass, I've had to stand on a huge spanner and bounce up and down to release one before.
    Frame is AL 7005, I would be afraid to swing off it too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

If you can run a bolt through your BB tool and into the axle it will stop it slipping on you. Turn the right side one clockwise and the left one anti-clockwise.

paddyduc wrote: »
    If you can run a bolt through your BB tool and into the axle it will stop it slipping on you. Turn the right side one clockwise and the left one anti-clockwise.
    There is a broken solid axle in the BB.

Your best option now is to weld the axle to the cup and put and old crank on it to turn it.

• Advertisement

Your best option now is to weld the axle to the cup and put and old crank on it to turn it.

Thinking of similar.

I've done this a few times, works a treat. As the weld cools it will shrink the cup leaving it easy to open.

I've done this a few times, works a treat. As the weld cools it will shrink the cup leaving it easy to open.
    Cheers

Got them out today, welded cups to axle and twisted frame in vice. Once I got the first one out the second came out very easy. Cheers again.

you're welcome, glad it worked out for you.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chaindrivencycles/142564172462771

Advertisement