Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

updating fireplace cheaply by tiling it? Possible?

• 29-11-2010 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My house has a beige marble fireplace i can't stand! I can't afford to get it out and buy a new one so i was wondering - after hours of staring at it tonight and everynight if i couldn't just tile over it?

If i could, are there special tiles i need, heatproof?, etc?
    Is there a special adhesive i should use?
    and, although there is a gas fire insert in it (was there when i moved in), can i revert to a natural fire eventually with tiles?
    Or if i left gas fire in, are tiles safe.

Am off to bed! sorry for all the questions but feeling inspired to do something. ANYTHIING!

Thanks in advance,

rose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

No answers :(

Maybe a mod could move it to heating?

Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

You can tile over it. Only need fexi adhesive and a primer. That will do the trick.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I've seen a beige marble fireplace that was painted with black heat resistant paint (available in diy stores) & it looked great with some nice chrome fire irons.
    The fireplace needs to be very thoroughly cleaned & then painted with a small roller. Cheap & cheerful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can tile it. Seen it done loads of times. The type and degree depends on the amount of detail in the fireplace.

The tiles used would be best to be porc or marble. Ceramics chip easy...So does marble but it can be filled... ceramics cant...

Can you upload a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Thanks a million guys! I truly appreciate the advice. I don't want to do anything that burns the house down!!!:)

I'll try to get a picture up, but it's a flat standard two slabs of marble (made of joined bits but flat if you know what i mean), hearth and surround, with a mahogany wood outer surround (don't know name of that bit :o). About 15 years old. Nice proportions and shape.

So, take off woodern surround and just tile, or paint (great idea - i didn't know about that paint!) and then paint wooden surround cream/white and i'm updated.

Kind regards,
    Rosehip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

i just googled "marble fireplaces for sale" and i saw some on a web site for sale from about 350 euro would selling to fund a new fire place be a option before you tile or paint over it???

Advertisement